Pigeon Island

CathyK2

We will be on a Windstar cruise that drops anchor at Pigeon Island. I understand that the cruise line has their barbecue there which sounds great. I was wondering if anyone has done this or if you know what might be walkable from where we are let off. There is mention of taking hikes up hills and getting an overview of the area, but since Pigeon Island appears to be a large National Park, I didn't know how far or close these hikes may be from the area they drop us off since we won't have a car to get to the other end of the park. We plan to stay in the park since we have been to St. Lucia before and taken tours in other sections of this island. Any help or guidance on this would be so very appreciated.

We've just returned from the cruise and you are dropped off in the park. There are plenty of loungers set up along with a bar from the ship. Drinks were served in plastic glasses and were cheaper than on the cruise. All the toys were out but I felt like the mats were just a little far out. I'm not the best swimmer. However once I got out there it was very nice.

There are plenty of hills and paths to hike from the BBQ. There is an adorable 6 seater bar within the park that's really cool. We walked to the Atlantic side (at least I think it was the Atlantic side) and there were lots of shells and sea glass to be found. There are also some fort ruins in the same area.

You could exit the park and there were some booths set up with items for sale but we didn't bother to do that. There are a couple of other beaches within the area but the BBQ was separate and only had Wind Star folks. There is a Sandals resort right outside the park. Several of their guests floated over and wanted to know all about our cruise.

While the BBQ was certainly nice, we enjoyed our BBQ on our Panama Canal/Costa Rica cruise last December better. I think that beach was nicer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Ski Mom 2

We've just returned from the cruise and you are dropped off in the park. There are plenty of loungers set up along with a bar from the ship. Drinks were served in plastic glasses and were cheaper than on the cruise. All the toys were out but I felt like the mats were just a little far out. I'm not the best swimmer. However once I got out there it was very nice.

There are plenty of hills and paths to hike from the BBQ. There is an adorable 6 seater bar within the park that's really cool. We walked to the Atlantic side (at least I think it was the Atlantic side) and there were lots of shells and sea glass to be found. There are also some fort ruins in the same area.

You could exit the park and there were some booths set up with items for sale but we didn't bother to do that. There are a couple of other beaches within the area but the BBQ was separate and only had Wind Star folks. There is a Sandals resort right outside the park. Several of their guests floated over and wanted to know all about our cruise.

While the BBQ was certainly nice, we enjoyed our BBQ on our Panama Canal/Costa Rica cruise last December better. I think that beach was nicer.

Thank you so much. You have been so very very helpful. I'm gathering by what you are saying, that this National Park (Pigeon Island) is basically pretty walkable? Meaning that even if you had a car, it would not be needed in a place like this?

So when you got there, how did you know which way to head to get to the paths? Is it well marked? Or did you have a map before you got there? I actually don't think we would have reason to exit the park since by what you are saying, there will be plenty to do in this area.

I'm sorry you were disappointed by comparison on what you experienced with Costa Rica etc. There are always pros and cons to any location. As far as the barbecue, would you say it was pretty comparable to what the mainstream cruise lines do for their out islands or was there something that made this different? Not having the crowds and crowds of people will probably be a pro compared to being on the mega cruise ships. And speaking of barbecues, I have been told not to miss the one on the ship. Do you recall what night that they had that?

The park you are tendered to for the beach BBQ on Pigeon Island is only accessible by foot. No plans needed just go and enjoy the day. Don't overthink it [emoji41] The beach BBQ or food part is only for you and it runs for two hours so plenty of time to eat. The bar was always open. We had brats, burgers, chicken, fish and hot dogs plus lots of sides. Plenty of time to walk around or just hang out. We just thought the beach was nicer at the Panama BBQ.

The on board BBQ was on Thursday which was our stop at St Kitts. Very fun and the band played up on deck and the crew performed lots of dances after the food was served. Plenty of shrimp cocktail, lobster, pork, beef, chicken and other yummy foods. We were a bit disappointed in the desserts but we were stuffed so it really didn't matter.

I'm so happy to help. I couldn't find a lot of info before we left so if you think of anything else let me know!

Pigeon Island is very walkable. There are two Hills you can hike also, both marked. Large grassy area to lounge around if you want, beach, local restaurant and bar inside, ruins with signs telling you about then, etc. It's a national park for us and we'll preserved, no cars inside (except perhaps maintenance). You can't get lost or accidently wander out - it's fenced and gated at the joining to the causeway (it did actually used to be an island till about 20 years or so ago when we built a causeway attaching it to the mainland). It's a beautiful piece of history, used to be a major fort foe the British to keep an eye on the French in Martinique, guard against piracy, watch for ship's from home, etc...Enjoy!

The park you are tendered to for the beach BBQ on Pigeon Island is only accessible by foot. No plans needed just go and enjoy the day. Don't overthink it [emoji41] The beach BBQ or food part is only for you and it runs for two hours so plenty of time to eat. The bar was always open. We had brats, burgers, chicken, fish and hot dogs plus lots of sides. Plenty of time to walk around or just hang out. We just thought the beach was nicer at the Panama BBQ.

The on board BBQ was on Thursday which was our stop at St Kitts. Very fun and the band played up on deck and the crew performed lots of dances after the food was served. Plenty of shrimp cocktail, lobster, pork, beef, chicken and other yummy foods. We were a bit disappointed in the desserts but we were stuffed so it really didn't matter.

I'm so happy to help. I couldn't find a lot of info before we left so if you think of anything else let me know!

Ok....no planning of Pigeon Island for us. It sounds like you just go and explore. Sounds easy and should be a great day.

Does Wind Surf give you programs for what is going on the next day or do you just wing it on this line? As I said, I've been on most of the main stream cruise lines many times, but this is the first for Wind Surf, so not sure how they do things. I know people have said that they have someone talk about the ports but is that a talk that is used mostly to sell their ship tours or is it really good information for someone doing the islands themselves?

Thanks again for your wealth of information. You have done so well with all the help and you are right...I bet you had a tough time getting information for the smaller places this ship might be going. IE, they say they are going to Guadeloupe, but it sounds like most of the information you find for there is on the main island that the larger ships go and sadly, that is pretty negative, where as I'm hearing nice things about the smaller island we will be going. Lots and lots of fun. Thanks again.

Pigeon Island is very walkable. There are two Hills you can hike also, both marked. Large grassy area to lounge around if you want, beach, local restaurant and bar inside, ruins with signs telling you about then, etc. It's a national park for us and we'll preserved, no cars inside (except perhaps maintenance). You can't get lost or accidently wander out - it's fenced and gated at the joining to the causeway (it did actually used to be an island till about 20 years or so ago when we built a causeway attaching it to the mainland). It's a beautiful piece of history, used to be a major fort foe the British to keep an eye on the French in Martinique, guard against piracy, watch for ship's from home, etc...Enjoy!

Thank you so much for writing and it's great to hear that this is really walkable. When Ski Mom 2 had talked about walking to the fort, I was thinking that was one of the two hills I had been hearing about, but if I"m reading you right...she was talking about something different than the two hills. It most definitely sounds like a fun place to explore, so it should be a good day. So I gather if the ship is dropping us here, that we don't have to pay the admission to the National Park and probably something the ship did for us?

We received the day's schedule the night before during turn down service. In addition, the night before, prior to dinner, they would have a short information presentation in the lounge about the port for the following day. I believe they mentioned if there was any space available in any tours but it was no pressure whatsoever. Very different from the big ships.

As far as hills to hike in the park I think there was at least one but our idea of a hike was walking on the Atlantic side looking for shells and sea glass and discovering the small bar where we had a beer. [emoji482]

And we didn't pay for anything that day except our drinks at the BBQ and at the local bar.

8a957bfcf1d3e783d0b3e64cff13c478.jpg

The view from inside the small bar looking towards the Atlantic (at least I think it was the Atlantic!)

Edited by Ski Mom 2

When you say that you paid for your drinks with the BBQ, do you pay in cash or do you put them on the ship card as you do on the larger cruise lines? How did prices compare to the ships drinks to the ones on Pigeon Island?

Did you think that any port had people using the water toys more than others? I imagine they are used quite a bit at Pigeon Island but then wondered if Barbuda also had more interested in them?

Thanks for sharing the picture. I'm so much better with visuals than descriptions. :-)

Gosh...are you sure you don't want to take this cruise all over again in two weeks? I'd love to meet you. :-)

The entire Pigeon Island was that fort back in those days. The ruins of the commandant's house, barracks, etc are all scattered on the lower portions of the park, many near the beach areas. The 2 peaks have portions of the fort where the cannons were mounted to repel raiders and pirates and the French! Most all of the main ruins are marked with info. You don't have to climb either Hill for the history, etc.

Enjoy.

The entire Pigeon Island was that fort back in those days. The ruins of the commandant's house, barracks, etc are all scattered on the lower portions of the park, many near the beach areas. The 2 peaks have portions of the fort where the cannons were mounted to repel raiders and pirates and the French! Most all of the main ruins are marked with info. You don't have to climb either Hill for the history, etc.

Enjoy.

Thank you so much. So is it safe to assume that there will be signs or something to let us know some of this history and what we are looking at? This really sounds like it will be a great day.

Thank you so much. So is it safe to assume that there will be signs or something to let us know some of this history and what we are looking at? This really sounds like it will be a great day.

As I recall there is signage around the various ruins that give a bit of the history of Pigeon Island. There is also a map available at the entrance gate. Because Windstar passengers are tendered directly to Pigeon Island the entrance fee does not have to be paid however I am sure that the map could be obtained if you ask (but you really don't need it to explore on your own).

The climb to Fort Rodney is not terribly strenuous and the view is quite lovely.

You can also walk to the other side of the island to get a view of the Atlantic Ocean.

Yes, signs around most of the ruins with details, as I noted in my earlier posts. Enjoy.

Thank you everyone. This sounds like a fun and relaxing day. Since it appears we probably can't get lost here, we will venture out and just explore. Between that and the Windstar BBQ, it will be a great, relaxing day. Again, thank you for the great information.

And yes, reedprincess, you had said it was well marked. I've been wound up like a top with this last minute booking and was whipping out every question I could think of and in the process, I was going in circles. I've regrouped, taken a deep breath and ready to go RELAX.

Thanks again.

Thanks for your kind words CathyK2! I only wish we could cruise so soon again! I'm still going through withdrawal symptoms and helping you has me reliving the good life!

Drinks at the beach BBQ go onto your on-board account. They were less than on the ship as I recall. Drinks at the cute bar we found are paid in cash.

I was amazed at the signage around the island that told you about the different ruins you were looking at. The best I've ever seen.

At the beach BBQ they bring all the toys over for your use. At any other stops when the back is open, the toys stay by the ship. The day we were there the small sailboat/sunfish was very popular. One of the crew sailed it and took passengers on a short sail. We didn't do it but I assume there was some kind of sign up.

I know you're excited and I hope you love your cruise as much as the rest of us. Relax and enjoy!!

My husband is very interested in doing Sea Trek which I see is located on Pigeon Island. Our cruise is docking in Castries (RCI Adventure of the Seas) and I was wondering if anyone knows if it is easy to catch a cab from town, and how far the trip is to Pigeon Island. Thanks!

My husband is very interested in doing Sea Trek which I see is located on Pigeon Island. Our cruise is docking in Castries (RCI Adventure of the Seas) and I was wondering if anyone knows if it is easy to catch a cab from town, and how far the trip is to Pigeon Island. Thanks!

It is about 30-40 minutes north from Port to Pigeon Island, and taxi costs $35US one way. Entrance to PI is $7us pp, it is a national park. Enjoy your trip.

It is about 30-40 minutes north from Port to Pigeon Island, and taxi costs $35US one way. Entrance to PI is $7us pp, it is a national park. Enjoy your trip.

For those that are traveling independently, and therefore without access to ship's BBQ could you tell me the names and where the bars/restaurants are located and is one to be recommended over the other? Thanks

For those that are traveling independently, and therefore without access to ship's BBQ could you tell me the names and where the bars/restaurants are located and is one to be recommended over the other? Thanks

Jamie des Bois is located on the waterfront along the beach/Rodney Bay side, Hard to miss. Captain's Cellar, which formerly was in the main building to your left after entry has been opened and closed and opened and closed so many times over the last 3 years that I honestly can't tell you whether it is currently open or not. As of this past fall, it was closed again for whatever reason..

There are also local food and rum shacks just outside the park along the beachfront and parking lot area.

Thanks for the quick response! Looks like that might be a good alternative to the excursions that are being offered for our sailing. This is our first time to St. Lucia and I am really looking forward to it!

Thanks for the quick response! Looks like that might be a good alternative to the excursions that are being offered for our sailing. This is our first time to St. Lucia and I am really looking forward to it!

There are some operators here who off PI as a "tour". Includes transport, entrance free, chairs, drinks cooler and Rep on site. May be worth checking out. I know Serenity TVL does one, probably Barefoot Holidays and Solar Tours and Travel, etc.

If you go on your own, please leave plenty of time on your return. It's normally about a 30 or so minute drive, but there's only one road back to the port area, which can get very busy with traffic from about 3-5 or so, especially of there are a few ships in Port. Just a note of caution.

Enjoy your visit.