Cruise to Run Running Cruise

Just wanted to let everyone out there know that if you're looking for a great cruise and want to run at the same time, try this Cruise to Run idea...They sold out in 07 and 08 but are going to start selling for their 09 cruise...I was on this and it is a fantastic idea...Was myself, wife, and 11 year old son...Left out of San Juan on the Crown Princess doing a Southern itinerary..

Was a bit of a skeptic at first as to how this was going to work out but I'll tell you, it's a perfect fit for everyone...You get the 5 star vacation and the way they've got the runs set up, it's magical...Runs in every island with a 5k chip timed race in Barbados, Director of Tourism was even there to start us off, beautiful...Organized runs on the other islands with the eilite runners helping out the not so elite runners, what a group! We had the good people finish their run and come back down to follow up with the rest of us who are casual joggers, very motivational, especially since one of the people was Lisa Bentley! Are you kidding me, world class triathlete, whos running with me and telling me to keep pushing, WOW!

Great speakers with Bentley and Bart Yasso who I found out is the Chief Running Officer with Runner's World...I heard they've got Dick Beardsley going for next year along with Bentley and Yasso so that will be a treat...I didn't mean to go on and on but we've been on a lot of cruises and this is by far the best running vacation we've ever been on...If anyone wants any info on this in terms of experience, let me know and I'll fill you in...

It's going to be great in 09 as we're leaving from San Juan on the Caribbean Princess...Hope to see some more runners there!

• 4 weeks later...

I've checked out that other site, won't hold a candle against Cruise to Run, why would I want to run a 5 and 10k on board the ship when I could run in different islands AND do a chip timed race in Barbados...No disrespect, we all favour free speech but I've never seen a more close knit group of runners who had their expectations exceeded 10 fold, they've already got over 130 runners booked for next year's trip and I'll be there again, and after Cruise to Run Caribbean is done, I'd like to see Cruise to Run in the Med to run through the street of Venice and Barcelona, life's experiences, right?

Check out the link that one of the runners put up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjKDb4K6zQ8

Canadiancruisers11

I've checked out that other site, won't hold a candle against Cruise to Run, why would I want to run a 5 and 10k on board the ship when I could run in different islands AND do a chip timed race in Barbados...No disrespect, we all favour free speech but I've never seen a more close knit group of runners who had their expectations exceeded 10 fold, they've already got over 130 runners booked for next year's trip and I'll be there again, and after Cruise to Run Caribbean is done, I'd like to see Cruise to Run in the Med to run through the street of Venice and Barcelona, life's experiences, right?

Canadiancruisers11

Canadiancruisers11

• 3 months later...

A friend of mine and myself are interested in this cruise. How are you doing the air to San Juan? Through the cruiseline or are you doing air yourself? I note you are also from Canada - I am in London, Ontario. We were quoted $600ish by Princess leaving from Toronto which is pretty steep. I've always done my own air on other cruises, but we generally left out of an easier port to get to - ie Miami or New York. Have you any idea how far the pier is from the airport and how much the taxis charge?

Your thoughts?

Thanks.

• 5 weeks later...
A friend of mine and myself are interested in this cruise. How are you doing the air to San Juan? Through the cruiseline or are you doing air yourself?

My wife and I have signed up for this cruise. I ended up booking my flights independently. I managed to get a direct flight from YYZ to SJU via Air Canada for ~$750/person. The sad part is that if I had booked them the day before (when I first found them) it would have only cost me $650/person. Oh well.

My wife and I are both looking forward to this as a fun running holiday and also our first cruise.

My wife and I have signed up for this cruise. I ended up booking my flights independently. I managed to get a direct flight from YYZ to SJU via Air Canada for ~$750/person. The sad part is that if I had booked them the day before (when I first found them) it would have only cost me $650/person. Oh well.

My wife and I are both looking forward to this as a fun running holiday and also our first cruise.

Hi.

I never fly out of Toronto nor do I fly with Air Canada - the most expensive airport and airline ever! We are flying out of Detroit on NW for around $450 return. The other option is to fly out of Buffalo - again, much much cheaper.

Warning - cruising is addictive!! Just like running!!! :D I'm wondering if we should start a thread for the Cruise to Run Group. There is a thread under roll calls for our cruise - have you checked it out yet? Lots of great info on this site. When are you flying into San Juan?

There is a thread under roll calls for our cruise - have you checked it out yet? Lots of great info on this site.

I haven't looked at that thread yet. I was just about to head over there.

When are you flying into San Juan?

We fly into SJU on 31 Jan and spend the night at the Holiday Inn there. I didn't want to risk flying into SJU on the same day that we were supposed to board the ship.

I haven't looked at that thread yet. I was just about to head over there.

We fly into SJU on 31 Jan and spend the night at the Holiday Inn there. I didn't want to risk flying into SJU on the same day that we were supposed to board the ship.

I agree. We are also flying in on the 31st, staying at the Howard Johnson in old San Juan which is supposed to be within walking distance of the Princess pier. It looks like the ship doesn't sail until 11 pm (!!!) so we'll have lots of time in San Juan before we sail off.

So I'm curious to hear from Cruisers who have done Cruise To Run in the past:

1. How much run stuff did you bring? A different set of run clothes for all 6 runs or did you wash stuff out between runs?

2. Did you end up going back aboard the ship after each run to clean up first or did you just finish the run and then wander around town? Will there even be much time for non-running related activities in each port?

3. For the days at sea: Treadmill or deck running. Which did you prefer and why?

• 1 year later...

I'm tempted to join the Alaska running cruise. Couple questions. 1) what kind of run gear for Alaska and how much do you bring? 2) back to ship to shower and change afterwards, or bring change of clothes for excursions? 3) are there single runners willing to share cabin?

Any tips appreciated.:)

I'm tempted to join the Alaska running cruise. Couple questions. 1) what kind of run gear for Alaska and how much do you bring? 2) back to ship to shower and change afterwards, or bring change of clothes for excursions? 3) are there single runners willing to share cabin?

Any tips appreciated.:)

Neo,

Contact Jerry at instride@primus.ca and he'll answer every question you have...He's the guy organizing...Good Luck:cool:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

To whomever asked about the transfer from the San Juan airport to the cruise terminal, it's about a 15 minute taxi ride and costs $20. Pretty reasonable. All taxis in Puerto Rico are government run, so the rates are consistent. I'm a runner and would love to go on this cruise, but unfortunately I'm at college in February. I will however let my dad know about this as he runs marathons and would be interested I'm sure.

• 3 years later...

Archived