Portimao tour

A friend and I will be in Portimao in April and the ship's tours are sold out. So I need some suggestions. I looked on Trip Advisor and Viator but I would like a recommendation.

I searched this forum but could only find postings from 2012.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jaci

Can't help you with tours, because on our two visits we simply did our own thing. One or our personal highlights was having fresh sardines (for lunch) which were literally right off the boat. Truly delicious. Another time we simply went on a local boat tour (which we purchased/booked in town) that went west along the coastal areas where we saw some interesting birds and scenery. If it had been warmer, we probably would have just opted for a nice sardine lunch and a beach day. When you get off the ship and walk along the river (towards the center of town) there are some kiosks selling tours on boats or buses. But your ability to take advantage to any tour is dependent on how much time you will have in port.

Hank

• 1 month later...

We were there for several hours only, and decided to do it on our own. We took the shuttle bus to the center of town and walked several streets. For some reason, the church was closed at the time we were there. There is not much to see in town...but there is to buy. If you are into embroidery linens and fine tableware, the prices are much lower than in Lisbon. I was very happy with my finds. We walked down to the esplanade in front of the water where, as Hlitner explained, you can have delicious, fresh sardines. Portimao is famous for its sardines!

• 1 month later...

I highly recommend the Sidecar tours by Bike My Side! It was the highlight of our cruise.

I rode in the side car and my husband sat on the seat behind the driver (sorry, forgot his name but he was wonderful).

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g189120-d3874121-Reviews-Sidecar_Tours_by_Bike_My_Side-Portimao_Faro_District_Algarve.html