Questions: Canon EOS Rebel T3

Hello! Boy, do I need the help of some smart camera person(s)! I recently purchased this camera for our upcoming Alaskan Cruise and while I've used it for a few occasions, I still don't entirely understand it. Before I misplaced the book, I didn't find it particularly user (dummy) friendly. :eek:

Here are my specific questions:

Which of the little icons on the dial is the 'scenery mode'?

How do I make the flash turn on 'on purpose' or what I believe is referred to as a 'forced flash'. Also how do I make sure the flash stays off? (In the past it has turned on when it wants to!)

Is there any one setting that is better for shooting through glass? We are taking a float plane ride to Misty Fjords so many of the pictures will be taken from the inside of the plane.

How can I adjust the pixel setting? (Is this even possible?) I understand it will use more memory but takes better pictures.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help me with these probably stupid questions! :)

Hello! Boy, do I need the help of some smart camera person(s)! I recently purchased this camera for our upcoming Alaskan Cruise and while I've used it for a few occasions, I still don't entirely understand it. Before I misplaced the book, I didn't find it particularly user (dummy) friendly. :eek:

Here are my specific questions:

Which of the little icons on the dial is the 'scenery mode'?

A couple of alternative manuals:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Rebel-600D-Dummies-Computers/dp/1118094980/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1339545761&sr=8-4

http://www.amazon.com/Buschs-Digital-Photography-Camera-Guides/dp/1435460286/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1339545761&sr=8-2

Here's a link to the original manual: http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0/0300004720/02/eosrt3i-eos600d-im2-c-en.pdf

It's the one with the little mountains. See page 60 for details.

How do I make the flash turn on 'on purpose' or what I believe is referred to as a 'forced flash'. Also how do I make sure the flash stays off? (In the past it has turned on when it wants to!)

On page 18, locate the flash button on the left side of the mirror housing above the lens (little button with a lightning bolt on it). Just push it and it forces the flash to pop up and turn on. See page 90 for details.

Is there any one setting that is better for shooting through glass? We are taking a float plane ride to Misty Fjords so many of the pictures will be taken from the inside of the plane.

Program AE is very smart and shooting through glass (plastic on the airplane unless it is specially fitted with optical glass ports) is more about controlling reflections than anything else. Wear dark clothes and even very light dark gloves. Some people use the flexible rubber accessory lens hoods that you can buy at Ritz or Wolf's to cushion the lens right up against the glass. No filter. A UV filter will just add reflections and a polarizer will cause weird color shifts shooting through the lexan windows.

How can I adjust the pixel setting? (Is this even possible?) I understand it will use more memory but takes better pictures.

On page 76 there'a a chart. You want to set it to Large 18MP High Quality JPEG. Don't worry about RAW. Canon does just fine on JPEG and you don't need the extra work.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help me with these probably stupid questions! :)

Stupid is traipsing blindly off to Alaska without asking questions! :D

Everybody starts somewhere!

Enjoy your trip and happy shooting!

Dave

B&H has sd cards at a good price. you will want a card with 16 gb. class 10 at 45 mb/s. the Sandisk is about the best imho. a 2 pack for 39.95

that way you can shoot video also with your camera.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Rebel-600D-Dummies-Computers/dp/1118094980/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1339545761&sr=8-4

http://www.amazon.com/Buschs-Digital-Photography-Camera-Guides/dp/1435460286/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1339545761&sr=8-2

Here's a link to the original manual: http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0/0300004720/02/eosrt3i-eos600d-im2-c-en.pdf

It's the one with the little mountains. See page 60 for details.

On page 18, locate the flash button on the left side of the mirror housing above the lens (little button with a lightning bolt on it). Just push it and it forces the flash to pop up and turn on. See page 90 for details.

Program AE is very smart and shooting through glass (plastic on the airplane unless it is specially fitted with optical glass ports) is more about controlling reflections than anything else. Wear dark clothes and even very light dark gloves. Some people use the flexible rubber accessory lens hoods that you can buy at Ritz or Wolf's to cushion the lens right up against the glass. No filter. A UV filter will just add reflections and a polarizer will cause weird color shifts shooting through the lexan windows.

On page 76 there'a a chart. You want to set it to Large 18MP High Quality JPEG. Don't worry about RAW. Canon does just fine on JPEG and you don't need the extra work.

Stupid is traipsing blindly off to Alaska without asking questions! :D

Everybody starts somewhere!

Enjoy your trip and happy shooting!

Dave

WoW! Your answers exceeded my wildest hopes! Thanks for the detailed explanations! I can't wait to get the camera out and find every thing you described!! MANY thanks!!! :)

NO, it's a good starter camera. pierces was showing you the manuals for the t3i & that's why I asked. have fun in Alaska for it is a very big & beautiful place to visit. We will be going back next year. just can't do it all on just 1 cruise. or 2 or 3 0r even 4:D

blakey

NO, it's a good starter camera. pierces was showing you the manuals for the t3i & that's why I asked. have fun in Alaska for it is a very big & beautiful place to visit. We will be going back next year. just can't do it all on just 1 cruise. or 2 or 3 0r even 4:D

blakey

Oh, no wonder I couldn't find the little mountains he referenced! Any ideas on where I can find the T3 manuals? Oh, and we can't wait for our Alaskan Cruise! :D

Thanks! :)

on the top right side is a wheel. a-dep, M, Av, P,square w/ A in middle. keep going around til you see a ladies face. right after that is the mountain. may not look like 1 but it is. good luck & enjoy your trip.

blakey

This page has the link for the manual: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_rebel_t3_18_55mm_is_ii_kit . If the link doesn't show up, go to google.com and search for canon T3 manual pdf, that will take you to the same page.

What lens/lenses do you have?

Thanks for the manual & 'wheel' info. Maybe my glasses are not working like they should! :eek: I didn't see that icon the first time around!

I only have one other lens. It's a EFS 55-250 mm. I took the camera and lenses with me to Washington DC two weeks ago and was hoping for a trial run, but have to confess I wasn't very proficient at changing the lenses out quickly. I never seem to have the 'right' one at the 'right' time! I really missed a lot of great opportunities. :o The Mr. will be with me in Alaska so hopefully he'll be able to assist me.

Sorry about the T3/T3i mixup!

I don't shoot canon and don't follow the minor Model variances.

Corrected link info for the T3:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Rebel-1100D-Dummies-Computers/dp/1118094972/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1339555002&sr=8-4

http://www.amazon.com/David-Buschs-Canon-Digital-Photography/dp/143546026X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339555002&sr=8-1

Here's a link to the original manual: http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0/0300004730/02/eosrt3-eos1100d-im2-c-en.pdf

Landscape icon is the one with the little mountains. See page 59 for details.

Force Flash:

On page 18, locate the flash button on the right side of the camera just in ftont of the mode dial (little button with a lightning bolt on it). Just push it and it forces the flash to pop up and turn on. See pages 88 and 106 for details.

Window shooting...no change:

Image size and quality (only page change):

On page 74 there'a a chart. You want to set it to Large 18MP High Quality JPEG. Don't worry about RAW. Canon does just fine on JPEG and you don't need the extra work.

Dave

You're very welcome.

Try using the camera a few more times before you leave. Birds are out and about right now, and flowers are blooming...lots of good practice and you'll feel more comfortable with the camera and settings.

Check with the photo dept on the ship, they may rent longer lenses.

Have a great trip!!!

Archived