How many pounds of luggage is allowed on the plane?

dogger

I am not sure if you mean how much the plane can carry as opposed to how much the airline allows you to check on for free. If its the later each airline has somewhat different allowances and it varies from airport to airport how closely they check and weigh them. If you check your airlines website they list the allowances.

Typically you can check 2 bags per person at 50 lbs each. Some of the discount carriers, such as Spirit allow 70 lbs each bag. Call you carrier or check their website to be sure. And yes, they weigh them and you could be charged big bucks if you exceed the limits.

We have run into the 50# limit. We have always brought 1 bag each.

We started bringing third bag although smaller we put the heavy stuff in it.

We gave had to shift from 1 bag to another at the ticket counter..

They do weight them as you check them

I had never had a problem with luggage wait until last month when we flew Delta out of San Jaun. I thought San Jaun was an international flight and had a bag at close to 60 pounds. Going out of Cincinnati, Ohio no one had a problem with the weight and I didn't ever see them weigh the bag. During check, when they put the bag on the scale in San Juan, it weighed 58.5 pounds and the guy said $25.00 dollars for over weight. He did let me scramble and move some stuff until it was at 51 pounds. We just flew Delta to Las Vegas last week and it did not see the bags weighed at all. Maybe it's just a hit or miss thing but don't take any chances.

ya most flights are at 50 pounds. The airlines don't put the luggage up on a scale, at the counter when you hand them your luggage and put it down on the little counter where it dips down, thats the scale. When they sit it down, and print up your ticket they see how much it weights. Last year i was a bit over 50 pounds and no trouble with them.

Last year I purchased 2 extremely large pieces of luggage. Just the sight of those bags prompted the airline people to weigh them. One of them was 65# and we had to pay $25 on the spot. The other bag was OK. On the way home I rearranged and put all heavier items in one of our smaller bags, we were under the 50#. Those large bags have attracted attention in every airport. That, along with the fact that they don't fit under a bed, or for that matter, anywhere in a regular stateroom, have convinced me that they weren't my best idea. Up until then, with normal sized luggage, no matter how heavy they were, I was never charged.

50 lbs...... I kept worrying because I am a guy and my peice of luggage weighed more than my g/f's bag. That is unusual, then again, she packed my bag. Anyways.... Mine weighed in at 51.50 but they let it go through without any additional charges. WWWWHHHHEEEWWWWW!

We ran into the weight problem too. Most airlines allow you to check up to two bags at 50lbs each. We had just the one bag at about 60 lbs. We basically talked our way out of the hefty fee, but on the way back we were sure to repack so that the heavy items we in smaller bags. And we've learned our lesson and will always take two smaller bags in place of the large one.

But I did not know about the generous allowances on AirTran, JetBlue and Southwest. Thanks for passing those along....

Archived