Pisa and wine country/tuscany DIY- Ideas Please

maidut

This will be my husband's first cruise and my first trip to Italy (the DH has been to Venice). I want to vary our activities (DIY bus in Monaco, DIY train in Rome, Private tour of Pompeii/Amalfi, cruise line excursion in Palma).

I was planning a day in Pisa/Florence, but am reconsidering. For the port of Livorno, I would really like to DIY with a car, which would be challenging in Florence. My husband loves to explore by car when we travel and he loves wine (well, we both love wine), so I think this port will give us a good chance to explore the countryside and try some wine.

I still would like to include Pisa, if for nothing else but a photo op and perhaps to climb the tower. We will be in port at the end of April from 8AM-7PM.

If we want to do a quick trip to Pisa, then explore Tuscany further, visit a vineyard, etc. Any suggestions?

As much as i would love to visit Florence, it may have to wait until another trip, as I think my husband will really enjoy exploring the italian countryside by car.

Thanks!!

Take a look at tuscanytastetour dot com. They have an interesting write-up about the origin of the super Tuscans. They mention several cities in it and might be good leads for a DIY trip if you are so inclined. They are also a tour company based in Livorno.

We did a Tuscany tour with All Around Italy. Sabrina was our driver and she took us to an agriturismo for lunch and wine tasting. (They grow olives and grapes.) It was the highlight of a wonderful trip. The place is called Fattoria Poggio Alloro. I have no idea what that means, but it was fabulous. It's somewhat near San Geminano (sp?). We ate on the terrace with the city in the distance and the most beautiful scenery all around us. Apparently there are lots of agriturismos in the area to choose from. I can't wait to go back to Tuscany. I'm sure you'll love it, no matter what you end up doing.

Jo Ann

Please be very careful if you decide to to the DIY with a rental. Let's see---strange country and language, drinking and driving. Recipe for disaster. You may want to rethink the DIY if you are really into the wine tasting. Happy Cruising

Archived