Cameo Factory (MERGED THREADS)

maltesemom

Although, I have not visited the "Castle of Cameos", you can visit their website, and see the great work they do.

http://www.stonecastlecameos.com/

Without transportation, you will have to make the long walk (>1 mile) from the cruiseship dock, as I doubt any taxi will waste a fare for a 5 minute run.

When we have customers renting scooters or motorcycles, it's the only "attraction" in (or near) Coxen Hole that we feel warrants a visit.

That is of course...if you are into Cameos.

I hope that helps.

My husband and I visited Roatan, including the Stone Castle (Cameo Factory) during our August 7-14 Valor cruise. A friend who'd previously visited the island recommended it and it's worth the time, particularly since it's on the way back to the ship. It's part showroom with display cases of exquisite cameos of multiple materials - not just the shell that we are all accustomed to.

The owner came out of his studio to meet us and then invited us in once we were done looking at the artwork - the pieces there are truly art, not just jewelry. You are given a magnifying glass upon entering the "factory" to enable you to see better, the incredible and intricate work.

The owner was very hospitable and eager to share his works-in-progress, family and factory history and any other information about cameo making that we asked.

Truly worth the stop, whether you are a cameo lover or not.

http://www.stonecastlecameos.com/cruiseship.htm

Try to make time to make the stop and enjoy!

Gayle

islandertours@yahoo.com

• 2 months later...

We were just there last week. I was not too impressed. The prices seem to be cheaper but most of the cameos are not mounted. It is not a fancy jewlery store. If you have the time and you like cameos go but if you miss it don't worry.

Steve

Samtig,

We had a very good day in Roatan. We took a few supplies to CSI orphanage and they arranged for a driver. We first made a brief stop at CSI which was very enjoyable. The children were so nice and polite. They seem very happy and well cared for. Next we went to Sante Wellness center were my wife and I had massages, lunch and a relaxing afternoon. We got back to town a little early so we had the driver stop by the cameo factory. Previously we had snorkled and it was great. If you have anymore questions I will try to help.

Steve

• 2 months later...

:( VERY UNFORTUNATELY, I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND buying anything from this Cameo 'FACTORY' as you may be very greatly disappointed as I was.

I got totally ripped off by this 'Cameo Factory' in Roatan "Stone Castle"... BEWARE!!!!

Several reputable jewelers in NY have agreed the 21 ct 'stone' they sold me is a 'fake'!!!

They may have some interesting Cameos (which I found very expensive

while the quality is inferior to what I've seen in Italy), however, they first tried to pass off a 12 ct loose 'Stone' as an Emerald, and I said, "No way! That's NOT an Emerald, because I own several!" So they took me into the 'private office' (because of some rain, they had no electricity, thus we were all buying by flashlight) and the 'Proprieter' backed off & said it was a 'Topaz', of which I still wasn't sure - it was so hard to see, but I insisted on a 'certificate of authenticity' (thankfully). I figured we'd be able to go to the other 'NCL recommended' shop in Roatan - Pacific Jewelry - that supposidly also sold 'loose gem stones' before we had to get back onboard ship to authenticate it. Alas, despite a huge ad in their 'map' brochure, NCL did NOT check to make sure this store was even open! My poor hubby had to slog through the pouring rain on the streets outside the pier with me to try to find it, and NO one knew of it! Not my wonderful Bodden arranged driver, or the great young fellow who managed the Dolphin Encounter (who was so nice to my young 5 y/o grandson - he successfully coaxed him to participate) who we invited to join our afternoon tour to show us around the island. Anyway... I was unfortunately 'stuck' with this 'stone' till we got back home. I showed it to Ms. Tatiana Montenegro on NCL Sun, who assured us they'd stand behind the purchase, however I've been getting the royal run around by the NCL staff member she referred me to in the Onboard Revenue Dept. This Ms. Melissa Campa has only so far spouted the 'disclaimers' on the brochure to try to 'hide' behind them, and demanded I 'throw away' another $75 to get a written appraisal (I told her IF they demand it, let them pay for it!), I feel it's adding insult to injury!

I'm hoping to hear that I'm getting my money back from NCL on Monday, or I'm afraid I'll have to go higher up the line. SIGH

In contrast, the :D 'Columbian Emerald' :D jewelers on board the SUN were really wonderful! I purchased my s-daughter a diamond ring & my young granddaughter an emerald ring plus an emerald pendant & chain - all 18K gold set. They went out of their way to make sure we were pleased & the rings fit properly (one had to be done over a second itme, but they got it right, and cheerfully). & I was very happy with these purchases (and I can get diamonds wholesale) & the sales staff were all very professional & accomodating.

We also highly recommend :) Bodden Tours in Roatan :) !!! We found Victor most reliable, and he kept his word to us, by supplying a good driver with a new A/C van for our family to have a safe experience thereat, despite the weather! Try: Victor Bodden [victorbodden@yahoo.com] & say Suellen & the Tritt family said HI!

• 7 months later...

Here is the website. I also would like to go there in November. You can email them directly from the link.

Click here: Roatan Castle Gallery of Cameos, Factory on Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras

Stone Castle Cameos' Location:

Directions: Walk off the cruise ship dock. Turn left (West). Stone Castle Cameos

is on the same road, which is the Gravel Bay/Flower's Bay road. Proceed in a taxi or

bus around one mile and watch for the sign and castle on the right.

We also have a representative just off the dock on the main road who will help you find a taxi.

They have some beautiful things there & we were able to watch the owner working on a piece while we were there. I enjoyed going & will give my cameo to my granddaughter when she get older. They also give you a certificate of authenticity. Neat place. Have a great trip!

• 2 months later...
Has anyone ever been to the Cameo Factory? What was it like? What are the prices like?

Marilee

I was there last week, very dissapointing. most the pieces were not set into jewlery, just loose pieces and they ranged in price, CASH $250 and up (size of a nickle) or VISA ONLY for an additional 20 percent or so.

They had 4 showcases and very limited amount of pieces. The ones that were set into a pin or ring ran from $350- (size of a nickle) and up.

I waited a year to go there, left Tabyana early to do so, paid the cab $20- from the ship and was very dissapointed. :mad:

We were there a few years ago & I got a nice, larger sized cameo set in 14 kt. gold pendant/pin for $165. Prices have obviously gone up since then. That's a shame.

We were also there two years ago and found the same thing. DW bought a pendant for about the same price. The only thing we found was the setting are not soild gold, but gold filled. We had it reset and DW wears it a lot. Recommend people buy the cameos unset and have them set at home.

Sorry to hear the the inventories were low. When we were there the cases were about full. If this is the beginning of the season they should have a lot of inventory. You have to remember that where you buy the cameos is also the factory. When we were there was only a handful of people. And everything is hand made.

We walked to the Cameo factory from the Grand in early December, enjoying the children and their families along the way. Once there we did look through the inventory and watched several apprentices hard at work creating on-of-a kind cameo pieces. I don't know what people expect for prices, but a genuine cameo carved from shell is a painstaking work of art - unlike the plastic imitations that you can find in a lot of costume jewelry. We though many of the items in the store were fairly priced; the staff was also willing to negotiate.

After looking through the cases in the front of the store we met the owner, Franco, who is 4th generation and the only Cameo artist this side of Italy. He invited us back to his studio where we saw his amazing collection - some of which are priceless and not for sale. Yes, we did purchase one nice piece and are looking forward to getting it once the setting has been completed.

The Cameo Castle is neither a souvenir shop nor a "Diamonds International" of cameos, but is an artist's studio where you can select unique pieces in much the same manner as you would fine art that you hang on the wall. If you go with that expectation, you will not be disappointed.