Westin Grand Cayman

rrraydon

I've read some posts regarding renting a room for the day at the Westin and I'm still not sure I understand. Can someone who has ACTUALLY done this answer some questions, please.

I'm trying to figure out the purpose to book a room for the day. I thought the beaches in GC were public beaches..regardless of whether they butted a resort. So, why book the room?

I mean, for the use of a chair?

I've read that it's like $125 for the day for 4 people. What do you get for that? Please tell me lunch, free drinks, or something...LOL.

The beaches are public only from the edge of the water to the mean high water mark. That is the point at which high tide reaches on an average day.

The tide does not vary much in Cayman. As such that means the public part of the beach is only a narrow strip of mostly wet compacted sand right down by the waterline unless the adjoining property is also public.

Some people prefer to rent a room for the day at a resort to obtain access to the amenities the hotel offers to guests such as:

Access to pool, lounge chairs, umbrellas, and towel service

Wide, groomed, uncrowded beach

Private room to change clothes, secure valuables, and clean up

Just spoke to the front desk at Westin and the room for 4 costs $119 plus taxes which then makes it $146.00. We have party of 6 and the 2 extra people she would add on the room for $25 each. So for 6 people $207.87...this gets you access to the entire facility but no drinks/food. Chairs and umbrellas on the beach are free and it is much less crowded and really good beach chairs spaciously set out not piled together like Royal Palms. It is the Westin, Royal Palms is just a beach bar/café with a pool.

I think we are doing the Westin just because there will be so many at Royal Palms. The pool is lovely too and the use of a private clean restroom is another reason!!!

Here is a video of the Westin:

And a video of Royal Palms:

Edited by BecciBoo

• 2 weeks later...

westin is gorgeous.

the landscape done by EDSA company - gorgeous.

renting the room is great idea.

we often a rent room for the week end.

pool is shaded, swim up bar, very few people.

nicely dressed waitresses, back ground music…

as for the beach, my #1 spot on 7 mile,

water depth, no rocks, no reef, few tourists, no cruise ship tourists, great feeling…

yes the bathrooms are nice, air conditioned actually.

as a suggestion, don’t eat at westin, go across the road to Yoshi Sushi or Legends.

legends is very reasonably priced with huge menu… i recommend the bbq ribs and chicken combo

as for yoshi sushi - i eat a lot of sushi and this place is still my number one place…

toronto, miami, - i haven’t found a place to beat yoshi sushi

as for yoshi sushi - i eat a lot of sushi and this place is still my number one place…

toronto, miami, - i haven’t found a place to beat yoshi sushi

Personally, I prefer the sushi at Thai Orchid, in the same plaza as Myrtles and that Irish pub. Not as posh, but good food and good value for Cayman.

In the Toronto area, our go-to spot is Sushi on 7 in Markham. Actually, I've enjoyed most of the Markham sushi places more than Yoshi Sushi. It's not that Yoshi was bad or anything, I just prefer the smaller, less fancy places.