Best Options for Motion Sickness

ArkTraveler82

My husband and I are boarding Carnival Magic in a week! Yay!!! :D This will be our 5th cruise and so far, DH (who is prone to motion sickness) has done great. We've used Transaderm patches in the past and he always ended up not needing them once we were underway. I've also been careful to book midship between decks 3-6. We've never had a balcony room so when prices dropped, I upgraded to a balcony but let Carnival pick the room to get a better price. We are on a higher deck, which I'm excited about, but my concern is that we're forward. I think hubby will do ok but I want to be armed with the best motion sickness options if needed! The balcony upgrade is a surprise for DH and we don't have time to get into the doc to get a prescription for the Transaderm. I bought a Sea Band bracelet but was wondering what has worked best for others who might also be prone to motion sickness? Thanks!!!!

I use the Sea Bands. They work well for me. I especially like them because you just put them on and you don't have to remember to take them prior to sailing like Bonine or Dramamine and if you see that you don't need them you just take them off. Hope they work for you as well.

Thanks for the replies! I already have the Sea Bands and I'm also going to get both the Motion Ease and the Bonine. :D Might be overkill but probably cheaper than having to visit the ships medics for motion sickness remedies. :eek: If I have several options in our first aid kit, I'm sure we'll find something that works! If DH even needs anything. I appreciate all the suggestions. :)

We aren't usually bothered with motion sickness on the ship however even a few days at sea we have problems once we get on land. I've heard that antihystamines such as benedryl can help?? So far we haven't found any solution other than waiting it out for a few days to week or so for it to finally go away.

I will add to the suggestions green apples and fresh ginger from the buffet. On the few times hubby has needed anything the sea bands worked in spite of neither of us thinking they would. The green apples worked for my grandson. Like you said experiment with the natural remedies and have back up of over the counter. Much more cost effective than purchasing on the ship.

Happy cruising.

We don't have time to get into the doc to get a prescription for the

Transaderm.

Hi ArkTraveler :)

If what works best for you is the transderm patch, keep in mind that your doc

is only a phone call away. No need for an office visit when they can simply

call it in to your pharmacy.

Have a wonderful voyage!

:)

Bonine (non drowsy - 25mg meclazine) or generic works great and I truly do have an issue. Two days before departing I take one Bonine AM and one Bonine PM - I do that until we get on the ship. While one the ship I take one Bonine PM until the day before departure where I take one Bonine AM and one PM and of course one the morning of departure. Then for one week I continue to take one Bonine PM only......sometimes still "rocking" but I can't imagine me not doing this..........be sure not to take any other antihistamine while taking Bonine - at least that's what I was told......... Hopefully your husband will be fine where your cabin is located......... I can only do mid ship, the lower the better and that I learned from experience....everyone is different and good vibes are being sent his way for no motion sickness during or after the cruise- have a great cruise!!:)

Motion-eze

It is liquid ginger that you dab behind your ears

I didn't realize it was liquid ginger. It has been very successful treating motion sickness in our GD and her little friend. I also used it when the waves hit deck 11 on a transatlantic. Works like a charm, and you can pick it up at Walmart.

I will add to the suggestions green apples and fresh ginger from the buffet. On the few times hubby has needed anything the sea bands worked in spite of neither of us thinking they would. The green apples worked for my grandson. Like you said experiment with the natural remedies and have back up of over the counter. Much more cost effective than purchasing on the ship.

Good to know on the green apples! I'm a huge proponent of natural remedies too. As a matter of fact, I'm amping up my immune system this week by megadosing with Vitamin C in case there are any virus outbreaks during our cruise :eek:. Praying that is NOT the case though!!!:::)

Hi ArkTraveler

If what works best for you is the transderm patch, keep in mind that your doc

is only a phone call away. No need for an office visit when they can simply

call it in to your pharmacy.

Have a wonderful voyage!

I thought of that but my husband was active duty military until 2 years ago when he retired. The last doc to prescribe the Transaderm was a military doctor in Virginia. To get it here, he'd actually have to set up an appointment with a doctor and get that first prescription in their system. :rolleyes: I didn't really think he'd need it until we were assigned an upper room forward on the ship. Now, I'm a little worried but I plan to go armed with everyone's suggestions in my first aid kit. Even if he doesn't end up needing them, you never know who you might meet that does!

We aren't usually bothered with motion sickness on the

ship however even a few days at sea we have problems once we get on land.

Hi Karessamom :)

After a cruise my wife & I have issues on land as well. In regards

to myself I experience moving sidewalk sensations & take Meclizine

for a couple days.

It's called Mal de Debarquement syndrome. Info located at the below

link:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mal_de_debarquement

:)

I personally start taking Bonine the day before we sail, then one each morning while on the cruise. This works well for me.

My wife has good luck with the sea bands.

We always have a lido balcony. Sometimes all the way at the front.

Mike

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Forums mobile app

I'm a huge fan of the transdermal patches... They saved my stomach while we sailed around a significant tropical storm. We also used motioneaze drops (found OTC at WalMart). They have a really nice smell despite a busy blend of oils: lavender, peppermint, frankincense, chamomile, myrrh, ylang ylang and birch.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good to know on the green apples! I'm a huge proponent of natural remedies too. As a matter of fact, I'm amping up my immune system this week by megadosing with Vitamin C in case there are any virus outbreaks during our cruise :eek:. Praying that is NOT the case though!!!:::)

The green apples has worked very well for me. Love the fact that I don't need a pill and use a natural cure. A crew member recommended it to me and stated that is what the crew eats when they are new and get seasick because they cannot take the meds because of the drowsiness. I have also recommended it several times to friends while we were cruising and it worked for them also.

Grab some when you get on the ship from the buffet and put them in your cabin.

The apples don't have to be green. They can be any kind. Soda crackers also helps. When I was in the Marines, we were stationed aboard an aircraft carrier. They always told us to eat any kind of apple or soda crackers if we got sea sick. It did work too.

My BFF always gets seasick but last cruise she took ginger pills starting 3 days prior to sailing..no seasickness at all..you can google it but I believe she got them at a health food store.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We had a lido balcony on the magic in May and felt very little motion on the ship. I always feel queasy the first day cruising but this did not occur on the Magic. You'll be fine--happy cruising!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums