Lucayan National Park

djacobson

I am sailing on the Fantasy November 27- December 1. This will be my first time to the Bahamas.

I am interested in visiting the Lucayan National Park. From what I have seen at various web sites, the park cost $3 to visit and is about 13 miles from Freeport. Carnival charges $89 for a kayak trip to the park. My concern is not the money (although I would like to spend less if possible) but that there is probably a weight restriction for the kayaks. In other words, unless I drop about 40 pounds in the next 4 months, I may be too big for the kayak!

However, I still want to see the park and the caves. My question is:

Can you take a bus to the park independently of a tour operator or to the Rand Nature Center that is nearby (renting a car might be possible, but it would be the same as an excursion) ?

I have scoured through 20 pages of messages in this forum about what to do in Freeport. I am not really a beach person and would be interested in the historical sites.

I would appreciate any ideas.

• 1 month later...

I've pretty much done the same amount of research without any luck. I am wanting to visit this area also because I do not want lay on a beach and cook like bacon in the sand. My wife does not like beach either and investigating the island is the next best option without taking over priced, over crowded tours. Lets compare research and see what the options are. If touring is an option renting a vechile and sharing the cost is a better option than paying out the tail for a cab. I found that you can rent a cab for $23-28 per hr.

Rick

wdowns9@mchsi.com

I think your best bet is to negotiate something with one of the many cab drivers that are there for the ships. The only other choice I can think of is to take a taxi to the airport for a rental car you've pre-reserved. But by the time you do that, you're probably better off with the taxi. The company www.bahamabuggies.com has dune buggy type cars for $60/day but their free pickup is only if you rent two days, which you're not. But if they're downtown or near the International Bazaar, the cab ride is probably only about $5/person.

BobK/Orlando

There was a rental car place right at the pier in Freeport last time they were there. We rented and drove to the park, which was not very exciting but we didn't spend too long there. The locals though were quite friendly.

Not far from the pier we hit a pothole and got a flat tire, and immediately 3 people stopped to help. One guy basically grabbed his jack out of his car and had our spare tire in place in about 5 minutes while we watched. He refused all attempts to compensate him for his services including cash dropped on the drivers seat of his car. He just said to tell people we know that we had a good time in the Bahamas. Don't think that would have happened in Jamaica...

Archived