New to Dubai....advice please

Jack1200

Just looking to book a 7 night cruise with RCI on Feb 1st, then looking to book a 4 night stay in Dubai before the flight home. As we are beach lovers we thought about The Hilton on Jumeriah beach, any thoughts/ negatives on this ? Also what are the ports of call like ( Oman, Muscat, Abu Dhabi )? Can you just have a nice stroll or shopping near to the port ?. Would really appreciate any advice, thanks

Just looking to book a 7 night cruise with RCI on Feb 1st, then looking to book a 4 night stay in Dubai before the flight home. As we are beach lovers we thought about The Hilton on Jumeriah beach, any thoughts/ negatives on this ? Also what are the ports of call like ( Oman, Muscat, Abu Dhabi )? Can you just have a nice stroll or shopping near to the port ?. Would really appreciate any advice, thanks

The Hilton is located on The Walk in the Marina area of Dubai. It will be a good location for both beach time and walking among a lot of shops and restaurants. It will also be near the new tram and not too far to the Dubai Metro for visiting Mall of the Emirates with the indoor ski slope or downtown Dubai for Dubai Mall and Burj Khalifa. There is also an Italian restaurant that includes a rooftop restaurant called Bice Bar that has great views at night and good food too. On the negative side, this hotel is promoted as a package with a lot of tour operators. There are two Hilton properties that share one beach area so it could be busy. This part of Dubai is also often congested with traffic do to the concentration of hotels. On the positive side, you could get a good deal on your room and there will be a lot of action. If you want a relaxing beach vacation and won't be going out and about too much, I would recommend a hotel on the Palm Jumeirah....but you will be further away from things if you want to get out and explore.

Abu Dhabi port will require a taxi or planned tour to get around from the port. Be sure to visit the Sheik Zayed Grand Mosque. It is quite beautiful and they offer tours in the morning. Appropriate dress is required (long sleeves, pants or long skirt.) Ferrari World is also in the area.

Muscat is a beautiful city. There is usually a shuttle to the port gate and from there you can easily walk to the souk or along the corniche (beach walkway.) There will also be taxis at the port gate if you want to visit other parts of Muscat like the mosque, Opera House, or palace. The Bait al Zubair Museum is also very nice and it is possible to walk from the port gate....but it is a long walk! Hope this helps....:)

• 2 weeks later...
Dubai, Muscat and Salalah are not walkable from the port. In Oman the taxis are very expensive; in Dubai they are very reasonable as is the public transit (approx $5 for a 24hr bus/subway pass).

I'm on the 1st of February cruise also, and interested in these ports. We are planning to take some excurions from the ship but also do Muscat on our own as the ship is there over night. Can anyone informe us more about taking a taxi there and wht to do on your own? Also interested in all other tips about Dubai Abu Dhabi and Muscat. Thanks!

I'm on the 1st of February cruise also, and interested in these ports. We are planning to take some excurions from the ship but also do Muscat on our own as the ship is there over night. Can anyone informe us more about taking a taxi there and wht to do on your own? Also interested in all other tips about Dubai Abu Dhabi and Muscat. Thanks!

There are a lot of small museums in Muscat. Some are right off the walkway along the sea. My favorite is Bayt al Zubair.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/oman/muscat/sights/museums-galleries

For Dubai, if you wish to go to "At The Top" in Burj Khalifa buy your tickets ahead of time online as they will cost less. Let us know what you are interested in seeing and will you be there overnight, pre or post cruise etc and more specific suggestions can be given. Click on my name and you will see other posts I have done on Dubai as well. Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...
There are a lot of small museums in Muscat. Some are right off the walkway along the sea. My favorite is Bayt al Zubair.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/oman/muscat/sights/museums-galleries

For Dubai, if you wish to go to "At The Top" in Burj Khalifa buy your tickets ahead of time online as they will cost less. Let us know what you are interested in seeing and will you be there overnight, pre or post cruise etc and more specific suggestions can be given. Click on my name and you will see other posts I have done on Dubai as well. Have fun!

Do you recommend going to the top in the afternoon or at night? Did you get the $38 ticket 'At the Top' deck or the $105 ticket Premium 'At the Top SKY' ? Do you think it is worth the extra money to get the more expensive ticket?

Also, did you do a safari/ dinner in the desert? That looks like fun!

Do you recommend going to the top in the afternoon or at night? Did you get the $38 ticket 'At the Top' deck or the $105 ticket Premium 'At the Top SKY' ? Do you think it is worth the extra money to get the more expensive ticket?

Also, did you do a safari/ dinner in the desert? That looks like fun!

I prefer the view at night. If you decide to go during the day, keep in mind it could also be dusty. I haven't been to the higher level of "Sky." I believe it is on the 148th floor. I would do the alternative to the "At the Top" Observation Deck and "Sky" and have a drink/snacks or high tea in the At.mosphere Lounge of Burj Khalifa one floor below (122nd floor.) A relaxing way to enjoy the same view. Keep in mind there is a dress code, minimum spend pp of 200 AED ($54) in the day time and 250 AED ($68) at night or for window seat but indeed a special splurge. Reservations are required and access would be through the Armani Hotel. The restaurant across the way from the lounge is also quite nice and a memorable experience to dine at that height..... and priced accordingly.

http://www.atmosphereburjkhalifa.com/

A lot of people enjoy doing the desert safaris. A good way to see the dunes but be warned if you are prone to motion sickness and the food and entertainment are "touristy" but that is what vacation is all about:D

I prefer the view at night. If you decide to go during the day, keep in mind it could also be dusty. I haven't been to the higher level of "Sky." I believe it is on the 148th floor. I would do the alternative to the "At the Top" Observation Deck and "Sky" and have a drink/snacks or high tea in the At.mosphere Lounge of Burj Khalifa one floor below (122nd floor.) A relaxing way to enjoy the same view. Keep in mind there is a dress code, minimum spend pp of 200 AED ($54) in the day time and 250 AED ($68) at night or for window seat but indeed a special splurge. Reservations are required and access would be through the Armani Hotel. The restaurant across the way from the lounge is also quite nice and a memorable experience to dine at that height..... and priced accordingly.

http://www.atmosphereburjkhalifa.com/

A lot of people enjoy doing the desert safaris. A good way to see the dunes but be warned if you are prone to motion sickness and the food and entertainment are "touristy" but that is what vacation is all about:D

Thanks Lilybob!