Internet service

koalapanda

Please may I ask "Seasoned Soubournites" for information regarding Internet service onboard the fleet. I expect there have been changes since our last Cruise. We are very excited and looking forward to being back this coming European summer.

Edited by koalapanda
oops

I am definitely interested in this information as well... particularly for the Quest as I'm going to need to stay pretty connected on the upcoming transatlantic crossing.

I know that Skype-type connectivity and bandwidth is a pipe dream, but I'm at least hoping I can connect to my VPN for 5-10 minutes without getting thrown off!

Thank you one and all, it seems this is a problem at sea no matter the Cruise Company. May I ask what charges I may expect for this service?

It was $399 for the full cruise (11 days) on the Quest a few months ago. The speed was acceptable while not broadband speed. We Skyped once or twice ok. This was on a Canada New England cruise.

It was $399 for the full cruise (11 days) on the Quest a few months ago. The speed was acceptable while not broadband speed. We Skyped once or twice ok. This was on a Canada New England cruise.

IMO the 399 unlimited is the best deal unless you get it free.

Edited by Emperor Norton

VPNs or virtual private networks are, quite rightly, prevented from working.

For those unaware what happens with a VPN is you connect a primary device to the ships internet and then tether secondary devices to that primary device. A bit like one guy in the street paying for subscription TV and everyone else connecting to him thus avoiding charges.

You can connect unlimited devices to the ships internet on your plan but only one at a time, you need to log out before you can connect another device. In theory a group of passengers could club together and buy an unlimited package but there might be a falling out when one user bumps another off to gain access. You have the option of disconnecting the device currently connected when trying to access the internet.

Travelling as we do with a teenage daughter we have to have internet for "homework". So for us the unlimited package at $399 makes sense. The longer the cruise the better the value but it is still ridiculously expensive. I know it's satellite based but there re terrestrial users in remote pets of the country who use satellite internet services for a lot less money.

In terms of speed at times it can be quite acceptable, other times less so. It's a finite resource with potentially lots of users at certain times. One of the advantages of the unlimited package is that you aren't so conscious of access speed. If it takes a bit longer you aren't paying by the minute.

I can't see free access on the cards just yet. It's a nice little earner. The ship needs internet to function, I suspect the passengers cover the cost

Long standing customers do get free internet, either a few hours or for very good customers unlimited access. The same is true for the best cabins on the ship.

Henry :)

VPNs or virtual private networks are, quite rightly, prevented from working.

For those unaware what happens with a VPN is you connect a primary device to the ships internet and then tether secondary devices to that primary device. A bit like one guy in the street paying for subscription TV and everyone else connecting to him thus avoiding charges.

I've never even considered using my VPN connection to tether multiple devices... I just require it to connect to my office to securely upload/download files, bill clients, etc.

On NCL, I was generally successful staying on the VPN for 10-15 minutes at a time but I learned that certain times of the day worked better than others. On the Indonesia cruise, my best access was before 7 am so I'll probably need to plan to be up very early to connect.

Yes, the Odysseys internet (and worse intranet!) are painfully slow. Supposedly people were on from FLL to LA to fix that but it seems to not work. Just connecting to the login site has been sloooow. It took several attempts to get my VPN to connect/authorize - but it eventually did. However it took the already slow connection speeds and made them go into timeout land. Unless something is done to fix the speed issue that alone will kill VPNs.

Interesting take on VPNs yet routers or using devices as a router isn't banned.

Yes, the Odysseys internet (and worse intranet!) are painfully slow. Supposedly people were on from FLL to LA to fix that but it seems to not work...

Too bad. On the Quest a few months ago the internet was slow, new movies did not get downloaded for in-room viewing, and the press readers did not work.

Are the press readers working on the Odyssey at the moment? Are they downloading new movies for in-room viewing?

Too bad. On the Quest a few months ago the internet was slow, new movies did not get downloaded for in-room viewing, and the press readers did not work.

Are the press readers working on the Odyssey at the moment? Are they downloading new movies for in-room viewing?

Readers are working, movies I've gotten mixed results from LA to here travelers that say maybe theyre updating or maybe not. However, there's another drain on the ships local intranet: Microsoft Surface tablets. Staff are taking orders on them for lunch at the table, for dinner they're putting them in on the tablet at the station. Both are over the ships already borked wifi system.

• 4 weeks later...

The Internet service speed was fine in November 2015 on Sojourn in Mideast and many seas days so far from land. Not as fast as you are likely used to at home, but then again, everything and everyone slows down on vacation. The Internet service plan was a great deal for us on an 18 day cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a few clarification questions re internet on board:

1) I gather that multiple devices in stateroom cannot be on at same time? Mrs notjaded will have to wait for me to get off?

2) Have seen the $399 unlimited fee quoted above. Is this true regardless of cruise length?

3) What are some of the other plans/prices?

Many thanks.

3 can someone step in please. You pay for so many hours and they call them silver gold package etc.

From what I remember, they are timed packages which to me would not be good. The Internet at times can be slow and you eat up the time quickly due to this slowness.

My experience shows that internet connectivity and speed is best in public areas such as Seabourn Square, the Observation Bar and Grand Salon. If you want better connectivity in cabins close bathroom and closet doors and sit within sight line of the cabin door- so as to avoid metal partitions' interferences.

I do not understand why I get "dropped" on occasion and so when connection is paused or very slow I will "reset" my ipad with an "airplane mode" off and on and then log on again (having logged off if necessary).

I hope this help!

Happy sailing!

We got off Sojourn 2/28 in Singapore and felt the internet service was good, for a cruise ship. We were even able to live stream a basketball game with only one down of the picture while still retaining the audio. We got the unlimited as we read papers, email and lots of otber things. Pricey, but least it worked!

Ill put in that on the Odyssey from Auk > Syd the inet was beyond bad. The best chance of connecting and best speeds were obtained using the fixed terminals in Seabourn square. Whatever improvements were supposedly made between FLL and LAX, Seabourn should get their money back on.