Dinner Attire....

uilleann

A bit of background and then my question.

From about 1972 to 2011 I either work an USAF uniform or a business suite at least 5 days a week. I find that clothing tedious and uncomfortable. You have to worry about stains and they have to be dry cleaned. So from 1972 to 2011, as soon as I got home, I changed to short and a t shirt or jeans and a t shirt depending on the season.

I have been retired now since 2011 and Every day, all day, I get to wear shorts or jeans and a t-shirt. Comfort, no stain worries, nothing tedious, no fashion decisions to be made. Of there is a wedding or a wake I will dust off the suit or sports jacket. We go out to eat at least once a week and its jeans and shorts and t shirts.... no problem.

We took a cruise to Alaska a couple years ago on Holland America. Formal dinners had to be with tie, jacket, nice pants, dressy shoes. Non-formal dinners were "country club" casual. (I hate that term) So we had to pack all this other stuff. Had to clean it regularly. I would "dress up" and feel uncomfortable for 2 hrs. When i got back to the cabin...... yup... ditch the dresssy stuff and grab my jeans.

So now we are doing a cruise on Avalon "Magnificent Europe". All the river cruises boast "casual" dinnerwear. But then says it is "country club" dress. So for guys it is usually.... nice shoes, nice pants, a collared shirt, and a sports jacket. So the only break I get is no tie. On the HAL cruise I had a clip on bow tie that would come off as soon as I sat down. So the river cruise is not really any more casual than the way I do the Ocean cruise.

Here is the question. Can I get by with the following: Clean leather walking shoes, clean jeans, clean non-print t-shirt, a clean fleece vest?

What would happen if I go to the dining room dressed like that.... would I be refused entry?

Has anyone seen others on a river cruise wearing jeans to dinner.

And yes I have been through all the CC arguments of dressing up for your wife, you wouldn't wear jeans to a wedding, I will ruin it for all the people who like to dress up. So there is no need to go through that again.

I did see a few pairs of jeans at dinner on Avalon Vista, but not many. (and we did a Christmas markets cruise, Nov-Dec, so people definitely wore jeans during the day) My stepfather showed up at many a breakfast or lunch wearing exactly what you mentioned - jeans, leather shoes, plain tee and fleece vest. But he did switch to cotton or wool trousers for dinner, and I believe my FIL (it was a family trip) did as well - though everyone in the family but me wore jeans during the day (I just don't like jeans very much, rarely wear them and never travel with them)

We did NOT see many sports coats. Typical dinner attire for men was trousers (cotton or wool) with a button down shirt and/or sweater. No ties. I doubt you would be turned away from the dining room.

Edited by Hoyaheel

Sports coats are a rarity except for perhaps the captain's dinner. Forget about ties. Except for Viking, which has no dress code, the gentleman rarely (if ever)wear jeans at the dinner meal. Some of the lines, such as Uniworld, do not allow shorts at dinner. Nice dress slacks and a button down shirt, long or short sleeve depending upon weather, and you'll be just fine.

We have only been on Viking river cruises, but I don't think they or any of the other companies, will turn you away from dinner because of your clothes. On the Viking cruises we have been on, usually the guys have on pants, and in fact, during the colder months we have traveled, there have been plenty of jeans in the dining room. No one seemed concerned. I did wear shorts once, but only to prove to my wife that they wouldn't kick me out of the dining room. :D

Another alternative that you may consider is that Viking provides a bar menu in the lounge during dinner. If you are looking for casual dress, that is the way to go. Don't know if Avalon offers that option, but you may want to inquire about it.

My hats off to you, as I similarly, hate to dress up on vacation no matter where we go. I wear a suit/coat and tie, 5 days a week and when I'm not at work, I prefer casual clothes.

No matter what you end up wearing, you will have a great time.

A bit of background and then my question.

From about 1972 to 2011 I either work an USAF uniform or a business suite at least 5 days a week. I find that clothing tedious and uncomfortable. You have to worry about stains and they have to be dry cleaned. So from 1972 to 2011, as soon as I got home, I changed to short and a t shirt or jeans and a t shirt depending on the season.

I have been retired now since 2011 and Every day, all day, I get to wear shorts or jeans and a t-shirt. Comfort, no stain worries, nothing tedious, no fashion decisions to be made. Of there is a wedding or a wake I will dust off the suit or sports jacket. We go out to eat at least once a week and its jeans and shorts and t shirts.... no problem.

We took a cruise to Alaska a couple years ago on Holland America. Formal dinners had to be with tie, jacket, nice pants, dressy shoes. Non-formal dinners were "country club" casual. (I hate that term) So we had to pack all this other stuff. Had to clean it regularly. I would "dress up" and feel uncomfortable for 2 hrs. When i got back to the cabin...... yup... ditch the dresssy stuff and grab my jeans.

So now we are doing a cruise on Avalon "Magnificent Europe". All the river cruises boast "casual" dinnerwear. But then says it is "country club" dress. So for guys it is usually.... nice shoes, nice pants, a collared shirt, and a sports jacket. So the only break I get is no tie. On the HAL cruise I had a clip on bow tie that would come off as soon as I sat down. So the river cruise is not really any more casual than the way I do the Ocean cruise.

Here is the question. Can I get by with the following: Clean leather walking shoes, clean jeans, clean non-print t-shirt, a clean fleece vest?

What would happen if I go to the dining room dressed like that.... would I be refused entry?

And yes I have been through all the CC arguments of dressing up for your wife, you wouldn't wear jeans to a wedding, I will ruin it for all the people who like to dress up. So there is no need to go through that again.

Instead of tshirt for dinner wear a collared golf shirt. Just as comfortable. Also a long sleeve button down shirt are sold in soft fabric. You don't need a tie.

On our Seine River Cruise (on Uniworld), I wore jeans a couple of nights, as did my husband, and a few others. We'd been out all day, and really didn't feel the need to change. There was one female passenger on board who made a snarky comment, but, whatever......

On our first river cruise, the restaurant manager told us....."It's your vacation, don't worry about what you wear". On that cruise one gentleman did wear shorts a couple of nights, and wasn't turned away.

Other than the few people we ate with, I couldn't tell you, nor did I really care, what others chose to wear to dinner. It didn't have then, and won't have in the future, any impact on the enjoyment of my cruise.

Enjoy, and be comfortable!

Robin

Yes, you can....although I would exchange the t-shirt for a long/short sleeved shirt and black jeans. They can be just as comfortable as "blue jeans" but look a little dressier. Like you, I had to wear a suit or dress every day to work and when I retired I gave them all away....I won't wear dungarees to dinner but I will wear black/white jeans with a white/black gauzy top. DH wears khaki pants and a sport shirt. Shoes will be fine, I wear black ballet slippers because they fold up and don't weigh anything but I sense they wouldn't work for you! :D There will be some who will wear fancier clothes to dinner and some who will not.....only thing they ask is that you not wear shorts and tank tops at dinner, which is not unreasonable. With the weight limits on airplanes being what they are, it's unreasonable to expect men and women to bring separate dress shoes and outfits just for dinner. Just my opinion....and I am well aware and respectful of those who feel otherwise....I've been on 8 cruises and never felt uncomfortable even when sitting at the Captain's table.

Edited by Hydrokitty

There are more kinds of pants in the world than just jeans vs. dry-clean suit pants. I wear navy washable-wool pants from Norm Thompson that are both dressy and easy to care for. Plus they have 4" of "give" built in to the waist (perfect for cruises!). I buy three pairs, wear them every day, and they last several years. They're even on sale right now:

http://normthompson.blair.com/p/mens-always-fit-wool-blend-plain-front-pants/39324.uts

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

What about a pair of chinos and a soft casual cotton shirt, no problem, no ties cannot remember seeing one on board apart from a very few at the beggining of a cruise they soon disappeared. A few jackets but that was I am sure the time of year. The real no no is shorts at dinner and vests I must admit never seen that but some have. Whatever you wear be comfortable and have a great cruise.

CA

The clothes the men are wearing in the photo here are comfortable and ideal for travel on a river cruise or anywhere else in Europe:

http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/subindex-viewall.shtml?gclid=CLXHrfWW7soCFQeraQod_lgGLw

You might find something there that would be easy care, comfortable, stain resistant and useful.

Here is a cheeky questions for you....Are you a sloppy eater if you are concerned about stains on your clothing? :D

I too, wonder about "country club casual". If they mean dress like you belong to the CC in our city, then no hesitation about the jeans.

Other than when you walk in or out of the dinning room at dinner, no one can see what you are wearing below the table. So don't give it a second thought. I would, however, suggest the jeans be of a darker blue or black. And fit nicely. No wearing baggy-show-your-underwear-even-though-there-is-a-belt jeans.

As for the shirts, depending on the time of year a golf shirt or button down shirt of any colour or print should be just as comfortable. A red plaid hides a myriad of spaghetti stains ! :D

Enjoy your cruise!

Here is a cheeky questions for you....Are you a sloppy eater if you are concerned about stains on your clothing? :D

I too, wonder about "country club casual". If they mean dress like you belong to the CC in our city, then no hesitation about the jeans.

Other than when you walk in or out of the dinning room at dinner, no one can see what you are wearing below the table. So don't give it a second thought. I would, however, suggest the jeans be of a darker blue or black. And fit nicely. No wearing baggy-show-your- underwear-even-though-there-is-a-belt jeans.

As for the shirts, depending on the time of year a golf shirt or button down shirt of any colour or print should be just as comfortable. A red plaid hides a myriad of spaghetti stains ! :D

Enjoy your cruise!

Ritabob....you know those little bibs the dentist puts around your neck? Well if you take two metal clips and attach them to a chain (for him) beads (for her) they clip onto the napkin and cover the front of his shirt and as an added bonus they keep the napkin from falling off your lap and they're cheaper than Tide sticks!!! I found them in a catalog, they were about $5 and somewhere some dentist (or dental assistant) has quit dentistry and making a fortune off people who can't always get the food from plate to mouth!!! :D

Ritabob....you know those little bibs the dentist puts around your neck? Well if you take two metal clips and attach them to a chain (for him) beads (for her) they clip onto the napkin and cover the front of his shirt and as an added bonus they keep the napkin from falling off your lap and they're cheaper than Tide sticks!!! I found them in a catalog, they were about $5 and somewhere some dentist (or dental assistant) has quit dentistry and making a fortune off people who can't always get the food from plate to mouth!!! :D

The easiest thing for the cruiseline to do is have a bottonhole stitched in the corner of every dinner napkin. Then when a gentleman wears a button down shirt he just has to button on the napkin and spread the two corners across his chest and problem solved.

The easiest thing for the cruiseline to do is have a bottonhole stitched in the corner of every dinner napkin. Then when a gentleman wears a button down shirt he just has to button on the napkin and spread the two corners across his chest and problem solved.

The napkins on Celebrity's charter flight to Galapagos have just such button holes (also embroidery of Blue-footed Boobies) -- and I now have two such napkins!

The napkins on Celebrity's charter flight to Galapagos have just such button holes (also embroidery of Blue-footed Boobies) -- and I now have two such napkins!

Did you steal their napkins? :D I must confess, I would too...I've been in fine restaurants where the napkins have those little button holes in them and I love them....I don't understand why everybody doesn't do it.

Did you steal their napkins? :D I must confess, I would too...I've been in fine restaurants where the napkins have those little button holes in them and I love them....I don't understand why everybody doesn't do it.

Someone asked and was told it was all right. [i prefer the act first and ask forgiveness later approach, but I was covered by the blanket permission. ;)]

I am with you on this, 100%.

Normally I would agree, but after spending night after night just me and my Tide stick cleaning dinner off his shirt, these things are wonderful and, if nothing else, an ice-breaker for conversation. You'd be amazed how many people have asked me where I got them and then written down the web site. :D

And what's a lady supposed to do? Or are we all just supposed to be neat? I'd like a pair of strings in the corner of my napkin, like an apron. I have ruined more good tops eating things like spaghetti, lol!