How Much Does Internet Cost

coasttal

We just returned four days ago from a Caribbean sailing aboard the Crown Princess so I can offer some current insight on Internet costs.

There are four different Internet Time Plans (can't recall the amounts of each level) that you can purchase once on-board. However, to give you an idea, we're platinum level members with Princess so we receive complimentary Internet that equals 150 minutes at a regular cost of $75. There is one time plan below this rate and two above.

The good news is that there are ways to save on the Internet time plan rates. For example, the ship runs an Embarkation Special which allows you to receive up to 40 add'l minutes FREE if you purchase your plan on embarkation day. Princess also runs specials during the cruise like Happy Hour/50% off time charges from 4-6 pm on select days as well as a last day Internet Access special where you can purchase 15 mins. for $8.25 or 30 mins. for $12.00. And, there is always an Internet plan coupon in the Passport to Value book that you'll receive in your stateroom.

Hope this helps!

Princess describes one of their packages as "310 minutes (includes 60 bonus minutes for prepurchasing an internet time package) " I assume that means you are actually purchasing 250 and getting the extra 60 for a total of 310. Can someone confirm that this is correct?

Also, does anyone know what 310 minutes would cost on board on the first day?

Princess describes one of their packages as "310 minutes (includes 60 bonus minutes for prepurchasing an internet time package) " I assume that means you are actually purchasing 250 and getting the extra 60 for a total of 310. Can someone confirm that this is correct?

You're correct, if you purchase the internet before boarding you pay for 250 minutes and receive 60 minutes of bonus, totalling 310 minutes. On my last cruise on the Diamond, the first day prices were:

100 minutes (+10 minutes bonus) - $58.95

150 minutes (+20 minutes bonus) - $78.95

250 minutes (+30 minutes bonus) - $103.95

500 minutes (+40 minutes bonus) - $178.95

So, the closest you could come to 310 minutes would be the package that totals to 280 minutes and it would be $103.95. There's also an activation fee of about $3 the first time you access the internet.

Yes, the bonus minutes are included in the 310 minutes. On the first day, you would get 280 minutes for the same $103.95. After the first day you get 250 for the same price.

If you can do without - do. I would recommend even skipping using the internet to check in early for air. Why? Because it's the worse internet service on any cruiseline. There is a $3.95 fee just to open the account and then 75 cents per minute. Don't think it will be a quick checkin on the airline site. Wait until you get to the airport and even if you have to pay higher luggage fees - it's cheaper and you don't have to waste your time being frustrated on the poor service.

If you stop in St. Thomas and dock in Crown Bay, there is an internet cafe across the street. $2 per 30 minutes.

Wow, I haven't paid for internet access on Princess in the last few years, but that's expensive!

I was just on a cruise where $18 bought me 240 minutes!

Internet on ships is a pretty good money-spinner. Even if all passengers went "on strike" and everyone refused to buy any Internet time on any cruises, the ship would still have to have all the infrastructure there because the ship's business can't run without it these days. So it's quite clever to get the passengers to pay handsomely for it. :)

Archived