What is the dress code on Silversea?

Boarcephus

Just returned from an 11 day Tahitian Cruise on the Paul Gauguin and loved the all inclusive, smaller ship experience. The downside is it's a long way over there. We're hoping we can get the same experience on Silversea on one of their Caribbean cruises.

We like the dress code on the PG, country club casual. Slacks after 6 and even though I took a sports coat, I never wore it. Can I expect the same on Silverseas?

We like the dress code on the PG, country club casual. Slacks after 6 and even though I took a sports coat, I never wore it. Can I expect the same on Silverseas?

No.

In all seriousness - search this forum and you'll find that country club casual is the daytime dress code. Evening is much, much, more formal.

The way I put it to friends is country club casual in the daytime, church level for casual nights, out to the theatre or symphony for informal nights and gowns for the formal night.

On my last cruise, one of the old-timers said the level has actually increased in her opinion - originally, it was country club casual for casual evenings and informal was cocktail but the level has increased somewhat over the years.

It does mean a lot of clothes and I find I change 3-4x per day. Once in the morning. Once for tours on land, after tours for tea and then finally for dinner at night.

I now appreciate how the upper crust in olden times actually did manage to fill their days doing nothing but socializing. I probably spend two hours a day on "toilet & dressing" (to use the old terms.) Breakfast takes at least 45 minutes because I tend to linger enjoying conversation with my table mates. Almost an hour for lunch. An hour for tea time and then up to 2.5 hours for dinner depending on the quality of the table conversation.

Between dressing and eating, that's 6.5 hours of my waking hours. No wonder I come home from the cruises exhausted!

Canadian Kate (and anyone else who would like to chime in) -- I know the topic of the dress code has been beaten to death but I am starting to plan my attire for my March cruise and the Silversea terms seem such a poor description as compared to what you actually describe (and where I live, church clothes can mean jeans!) and so different from all my experiences at Caribbean resorts that I find myself very uncertain. Even on Seabourn it seemed more casual than what you describe. So I was wondering, could you give some specific examples of what you like to wear on the various nights -- I am pretty clear on formal (long gown for me, tux for my husband) but a bit confused on informal and casual. For example, at the deck barbecue would capri pants and a nice top or a sundress be okay for me and would shorts/collared shirt be okay for husband and would these clothes be okay for dining at the outdoor restaurant as well? Or does he always have to wear pants at night? And would a short dressy cocktail dress (like what someone would wear to "black tie optional" events) be appropriate for informal nights or is that too dressy? Any specific examples would be helpful! Thanks so much.

Dear friends:

As long as you look respectable you will be fine. Some ladies go all out and bring the gowns. Others just wear discreet black cocktail dresses.

Nowadays with luggage restrictions and the hassle of airline travel, what people pack for cruises has drastically changed.

I will go to breakfast and lunch in the main dining room wearing jeans or Dockers and a collared shirt (not a T-shirt although they will not throw you out).

I will wear a pair of dress slacks and a dress shirt for informal and something similar, although maybe with a different shirt, for casual.

For formal, I will wear a dark suit and tie, and once or twice in the extreme heat of summer when there was a problem on the ship and the air-conditioning wasn't working that well, I showed up in the suit, minus the tie.

Just wear what you are comfortable with and look respectable to blend in and not stand out. Nobody will care, and the impression that some people give on these boards to the tone of having to get dressed up like you were on the Titanic is just not the reality nowadays. It is for some, but not for many.

Happy cruising,

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Dear friends:

Since the air-conditioning usually is working quite well and the ship is customarily kept quite cold, this means that one doesn't sweat a great deal inside the ship.

As a man, I can wear the same suit to all of the formal nights -- just change shirts and ties. That makes it much easier on packing.

Same thing with dress slacks. They can be worn a few times -- just have them pressed if you need to.

You ladies really have it lucky. You can basically wear the same dress or skirt, alternating between some of those glitzy sequin tops on different nights and, lo and behold, there you have it. A different formal outfit for each night using basically the same clothes.

Once on another Silversea cruise in Europe (ports were mostly major Italian and French ports that we had been to time and again), we did something really different as far as packing was concerned. We left for the cruise with one or two changes of clothes each and a full luggage allowance of empty suitcases. We had fun buying new clothes to wear on the ship and to take home as a new wardrobe in each port every day of the cruise. That was our shopping cruise (quite similar to what we do when we travel from Europe to New York -- go with empty suitcases and bring home a shopping spree from New York).

Of course, if it is your cup of tea to dress to the nines and put on a different outfit four times per day, I also respect that. But nowadays it isn't necessary and you can still look great by bringing one-tenth the clothes.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Edited by CruisinGerman

Or does he always have to wear pants at night? And would a short dressy cocktail dress (like what someone would wear to "black tie optional" events) be appropriate for informal nights or is that too dressy? Any specific examples would be helpful! Thanks so much.

The cocktail dress sounds perfect for informal and might do at formal if you don't mind not having long. That's what I would wear, except I don't own any that fit anymore.

I have one black travel knit dress that I try and dress up for informal nights with shawls or scarves and jewelry. It is almost full length but the material is not formal. For casual nights, it works with a sweater or blazer. For formal, I have a pair of dressy black swirly pants that I dress up with two tops, and a sari that packs almost to nothing. If I ever lose weight, I have other gowns to wear that I've worn on other cruises but for now they are in storage.

I can't ever recall seeing a gentleman in shorts in the evening on the ship (even in the outdoor dining - but I've only done one tropical cruise bbq, the rest were northern waters so it was too cold to wear shorts.)

A lot depends on your itinerary and the origin of the passengers. My first cruise was NYC - England and it was extremely formal. The majority of pax were European, and it was returning to Europe after an RTW cruise.

The second cruise was Caribbean/Panama/Alaska and was less formal. The majority of the pax were Australian and one gentleman came without proper clothing (boarded in a 'wife beater' shirt, shorts and sandals.) Other Aussies, not affiliated with him, were very embarrassed.

Another way of interpreting church clothing is what you'd wear to an evening business meeting. I suppose country-club evening might fit that description but I don't belong to a country-club so have no idea.

My dh wears pants, jacket and shirt with no tie, on casual nights, dark suit and tie on informal nights and tux on formal nights. He likes dressing up so has a dinner jacket and a tux jacket and a reversible Chinese jacket so has four distinct looks for the longer cruises with more formal nights.

For a 28 day cruise with Caribbean and Alaska we traveled with three suitcases, one each and one with our formal gear in it. That included our hiking boots and winter jackets. I did have to buy extra sweaters because I got tired of wearing the same two, day in and day out.

You ladies really have it lucky. You can basically wear the same dress or skirt, alternating between some of those glitzy sequin tops on different nights and, lo and behold, there you have it. A different formal outfit for each night using basically the same clothes.

In theory, yes. But I get tired of that!

I am old school. I don't care where you are in the world, a GENTLEMAN wears a jacket to dinner.

I'm OK with jacket and collared shirt sans tie on casual nights, and I'm OK with none of the above on pool deck on BBQ nights.

Last spring on these boards someone asked "bare arms OK at dinner?"

I couldn't resist -- BARE ARMS MAKE ME WANT TO BEAR ARMS.

(Sorry about that.....:-)

As we have suggested many times before, a good middle of the road, easy to carry solution would be: Bring one black suite, white shirt and black bow tie, wear that on formal nights. Bring a couple of coloured/patterned shirts and a coloured pair of pants, wear those and take off the bow tie for informal nights. Substitute the jacket with a sweater for casual nights. Different combinations of the above can suit all occasions including ashore. That should be quite convenient and acceptable to all !

Edited by meow!

Dear friends:

As long as you look respectable you will be fine. Some ladies go all out and bring the gowns. Others just wear discreet black cocktail dresses.

Nowadays with luggage restrictions and the hassle of airline travel, what people pack for cruises has drastically changed.

I will go to breakfast and lunch in the main dining room wearing jeans or Dockers and a collared shirt (not a T-shirt although they will not throw you out).

I will wear a pair of dress slacks and a dress shirt for informal and something similar, although maybe with a different shirt, for casual.

For formal, I will wear a dark suit and tie, and once or twice in the extreme heat of summer when there was a problem on the ship and the air-conditioning wasn't working that well, I showed up in the suit, minus the tie.

Just wear what you are comfortable with and look respectable to blend in and not stand out. Nobody will care, and the impression that some people give on these boards to the tone of having to get dressed up like you were on the Titanic is just not the reality nowadays. It is for some, but not for many.

Happy cruising,

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Many thanks my man. This is about what I expected. We take a cruise for our enjoyment, not to put on airs to others. Based on what you've just said, this is not that much different from the PG. We found on the PG there were some that dressed to the nines but not nearly everyone. We fit in very nicely. You've just convinced me Silversea is something we may book for the early part of 2011.

Thanks again,

steve

imo casual night is exactly what it says....casual. No need to wear a jacket. It's even in the dress code description. I believe the trend on luxury ships is going more casual all the time. It won't be long before tuxes go the way of tails.

I am old school. I don't care where you are in the world, a GENTLEMAN wears a jacket to dinner.

I'm OK with jacket and collared shirt sans tie on casual nights, and I'm OK with none of the above on pool deck on BBQ nights.

Last spring on these boards someone asked "bare arms OK at dinner?"

I couldn't resist -- BARE ARMS MAKE ME WANT TO BEAR ARMS.

(Sorry about that.....:-)

Agree with all you say.The old fleet try to keep the standards high. I gather the Spirit is okay for those who wish to ignore the dress code.

If you compare the brochures for most luxury lines of ten years ago with those today you'll see a big difference. Ten years ago there were photos of models in tuxes and gowns in the restaurant. Today the models are dressed casually. More photos depict outdoor activities etc. The reason is they are desperately trying to attract a younger demographic which does not want to carry tuxedoes on a cruise. It's an evolving trend and I seriously doubt it can be stopped.

If you compare the brochures for most luxury lines of ten years ago with those today you'll see a big difference. Ten years ago there were photos of models in tuxes and gowns in the restaurant. Today the models are dressed casually. More photos depict outdoor activities etc. The reason is they are desperately trying to attract a younger demographic which does not want to carry tuxedoes on a cruise. It's an evolving trend and I seriously doubt it can be stopped.

Wripro I have no problem with a dark suit on a gentleman at dinner on formal nights -- my point is a gentleman needs a jacket at dinner every night except perhaps last night - casual.

I know times have changed but in my opinion it raises the level of the experience if people are properly dressed.

Wripro I have no problem with a dark suit on a gentleman at dinner on formal nights -- my point is a gentleman needs a jacket at dinner every night except perhaps last night - casual.

I know times have changed but in my opinion it raises the level of the experience if people are properly dressed.

We are all for the Formal and informal nights dress and actually enjoy them very much. Our at sea or tour attire we do enjoy a relaxing pair of jeans/levi's is this a no no on the Cloud. Is shorts also a joice that is not very popular on Silverseas.??? Comfortable loose fitting clothes for day time wear I thought everyone enjoyed, looking like your always doing business would be a headache for me. Oh well guess I'll form an opinion after my cruise in March on the Cloud.But I will prepare for whatever, would like to know tho DOES ANYONE WEAR JEANS.?????

Gosh, being new to Silversea, I cannot believe what I am reading. We were on the Spirit in November (Caribbean -- warm weather). T-shirts, shorts or cotton pants were worn by many, many guests during the day. Men dining in Hot Rocks at night wore short sleeve shirts and slacks (the weather outside in the Caribbean was quite warm).

I find the posts on what should or should not be the proper attire on Silversea (aside from the stated dress code) to be a bit judgmental. People in many parts of the world were raised differently as it pertains to dress. In New York, for instance, many "dress" to go to the supermarket. In Los Angeles, it is perfectly fine to put a "cover-up" over your bikini/swim suit when you go to the market.

Customs throughout the world are so interesting. . . and, IMO, should be respected. :o

Hi Mary Ann (Dusaby), Ida and I agree with you...what separates SS from its competitors is the fact Silversea still does have formal nights (we both like to dress up on special occasions--being on SS is indeed special).

Edited by Colonel(Ret.)Wes

Hi Mary Ann (Dusaby), Ida and I agree with you...what separates SS from its competitors is the fact Silversea still does have formal nights (we both like to dress up on special occasions--being on SS is indeed special).

Unfortunately, the other thing that separates SS from it's competitors (like Regent) is that their ships are running full most of the time and their competitors are not (as you know Mr. Wes as you sail on Regent quite often). Sometimes, even if you do not agree with the majority of passengers, following the majority isn't a bad thing to do from a financial perspective.

their ships are running full most of the time and their competitors are not.
We thought FDR was the expert in filling ships. Are you saying RSSC is not full, less full than Silversea .. meow? That is interesting to know.

We thought FDR was the expert in filling ships. Are you saying RSSC is not full, less full than Silversea .. meow? That is interesting to know.

Did that I say that wrong? I don't like to make excuses, but, we arrived home from Peru yesterday and we are tired cats. I believe there was 91% occupancy last year and their goal is 93% next year. Our cruise was packed.

You're right - FDR is an expert in filling ships (although many loyalists are not thrilled with the ultra all-inclusiveness) I think my point was that there is a trend towards "Elegant Casual". I'm not judging whether this is a good thing or not. . . . it just seems to be the way it is.

If I were running a cruise line, I would base the dress code on the itinerary. Formal nights are more challenging on port intensive itineraries in extremely warm climates (the air conditioned ships only help to a point) Sea days work well for "formal" or "informal". However, with airline restrictions, etc. I would do "formal" only rather than both "formal" and "informal". Taking a black suit or tuxedo as well as a sports jacket on airlines based in the United States is problematic. Spending money for a luxury cruise is one thing. . . . . throwing money at airlines is a waste (IMO)

Think I'll curl up and go to sleep.

Purrs

Edited by Travelcat2

While I have seen many others boarding in jeans recently, buy in large, other than the Spirit, I have not seen many patrons in jeans on most Silversea cruises. Things are more formal on Silversea, which we love, and we do truly enjoy the formal evenings. I suppose it is all a matter of taste. The Spririt is much larger and much less formal. The other ships seem more formal....while we choose to take a tux and lots of formal wear, we certainly do not 'look down' on those who do not. I think it is all a matter of what you are comfortable with, taking into account what the 'guidelines' suggest....

Sorry, Travecat2. I was not referring to dress here. I was wondering whether you mean Silversea is more full than RSSC or the other way around. I am confused by the wording .. either way it is interesting to know, just I may not be understanding what you have said .. meow!

If you are in the Caribbean then one should dress for that climate and environs. If you are in Asia where dress style is more formal, then, I believe it is important to comport oneself respectfully for the locals....and surely that is the same thing on any cruise ship.

For instance....our experience on Silversea in Baltic and Mediterranean was dress for "climate, local appropriate".

When dress code is Casual...guys, please don't wear a T-shirt no matter how hot you think your bod is! To informal nights, men should wear a jacket, no tie, as mentioned by an earlier poster. (A/C working as usual!)

Dinner jacket should be worn to Formal nights as suggested. (Ye gods if you are unhappy with this please find alternative cruise lines if this is too much to ask.)

For women, what is wrong with being respectfully dressed in countries that don't hang around in Sweats? One does not have to be dressed to the "nines" but many Asian countries's women (or men) don't flaunt their bods and would appreciate if you don't look like you are bouncing around your own homes or off to the supermarket.

All this does not require new or extra clothes. Casual -just bring the clothes you would wear to go to the township near you. Wear the comfortable clothes you would wear to the city for informal clothes and make an effort and dress up for formal nights. - think formal dinner not formal ball gowns! None of this take huge trunks of clothes...trust me...we have done it!