New Sturgeon Caviar to Come On Seabourn

Seabourn Sources Sustainable Sturgeon Caviar

April 27th, 2012

sb19-300x200.jpgSeabourn has announced an alliance with Colorado-based Black River Caviar that will provide our discerning guests with top quality ossetra sturgeon caviar produced by a sustainable “wild farming” method in South America.

The caviar, which is processed by the lower-salt Malossol method, comes from Siberian sturgeon stock raised in a natural environment carefully researched to provide ideal conditions. The end result is caviar that has been praised by experts including a number of renowned chefs and Ruth Reichl, the former editor-in-chief of Gourmet magazine for its flavor and texture. It has also been verified as being ecologically sustainable by the authority of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) and granted a top “Green” rating by the Marine Conservation Institute.

“Caviar is a luxury,” noted Richard Meadows, Seabourn’s president, “and as such, it is a part of the culinary repertoire on board our ships. Seabourn guests expect us to provide quality caviar,” he continued, “and they also share our concern for sustainability, so we are pleased to have discovered the Black River ossetra.”

“Black River Caviar is very pleased to be serving Seabourn,” said Graham Gaspard, president of Black River Caviar. “Both companies share the same philosophy of providing our clients only the finest quality products and service in an environmentally responsible way. We are grateful for Seabourn’s support of sustainable farming which is critical to the preservation of several sturgeon species. We consider it a great honor to be working with a company not only known as the pre-eminent luxury cruise line but also the role model for environmental stewardship.”

Black River Caviar is produced by a family-owned facility on the Rio Negro in Uruguay, under the guidance of a Russian master sturgeon farmer. The firm was started in 1990 with fertilized Siberian sturgeon roe imported from Russia. After twelve years of cultivation, the company began harvesting caviar in 2001. The caviar is produced to order, and never stored. For more information about Black River Caviar, visit www.blackrivercaviar.com.

the problem with a "free caviar" policy is that people do order doubles and more just because it is expensive ...

you have to taste caviar and not eat it - unfortunately i noticed a lot of "abuse" of caviar on seabourn - even people ordering it and finally not finishing it :mad:

My mother told me if I don't finish my caviar I don't get dessert!

I come from a different background. For me, it was collard greens I needed to dispose of before any talk of dessert. I thought caviar were Russian horse soldiers. Thank goodness, things have improved!

Black River Caviar was featured in the Seabourn magazine I received a couple of weeks ago. Is it served on board now, or pending some future date? Hope to read a review from some Seabourn sailors soon ... I'm afraid I won't be on Seabourn again until late summer. It sounds like a substantial qualitative improvement on the caviar served last year.

- unfortunately i noticed a lot of "abuse" of caviar on seabourn - even people ordering it and finally not finishing it :mad:

Those are the people who never had it before and decide to try it because it is "free." Don't worry, they will not be ordering it again. More for the rest of us.

Archived