Progreso is AWESOME!!!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:36 AM.
8 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
I sailed Carnival Holiday June 21, 2008 and Progreso was one of our ports. I have to say that after reading reviews, I was a little skeptical.
However, once we got there we realized that this is indeed the real Mexico and we had a blast!!!
We took the free bus from the pier into the market area. Once there, we rode the double decker bus for only 2 bucks. They take you along a 20-25 min tour of Progreso. We then walked to Corona beach where we got 40 min massages on the beach for only 20 bucks! These were awesome and I highly recommend doing this. If you wait until later in the day after everyone begins to leave, they will do them for 2 for 1. After our massage, we did the banana boat ride for $5 dollars each. This was fun! We then rented beach chairs for $2 each, but I think if you sit under the umbrellas you don't have to pay. We ordered margaritas and had a blast. Although, the water isn't very clear, the beach is still very nice.
I did get a sting while in the water of Corona beach. I'm not sure what it was (Jelly Fish, Star Fish, etc.) I wasn't very far out, when something snuck up and stung me on my toe. It was very painful!! My husband helped me out of the water and I did bleed pretty bad and my toe did have a bit of swelling. It was okay after a day or so.
Overall, Progeso is a great port and we are planning on taking a land vacation there. If you want souvenirs we found that the bargaining is easier in Progeso than Cozumel. Don't be put off by all the negative reviews, go to Progreso and enjoy yourself!!
High Point, NC
7,015 Posts
Joined May 2000
Kay. So glad you enjoyed your day in Progreso. You're right; no phony glitz in the Yucatan State. Thankfullly.
Progreso, Mexico
25 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
When you go to the beach, you can get free chairs at any of the resturants, If you go about 2 blocks from the start of the beach you will find Buddy's resturant. The food is great, all USDA meat and the kitchen is clean and they use purified water for everything. The owner is a Dutch guy and his wife is Mexican and he speaks english. Great food and great time to be had. They have tables on the beach, and have lounge (beach chairs).
338 Posts
Joined May 2008
Do you have any pics of Buddy's? I've only heard good things about it. Thanks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
08-04-2008 Carnival Ecstasy
08-21-2010 Carnival Fascination
08-09-2012 Carnival Ecstasy
Cedar Park, TX
775 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
Try this: http://www.yucatantoday.com/culture/eng-rotm-04-08.htm
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Tim

I dream of a world where a chicken can cross a road and not have it's motives questioned.

Carnival Ecstasy 9/6/08
Carnival Ecstasy 9/17/07
Carnival Ecstasy 10/02/06
Carnival Elation 10/03/05
USS Kitty Hawk (CV-63) '84-'86
USS Hunley (AS-31) '83-'84

Getting to Death safely and quietly is not what life is all about.
Ohio
5,910 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
okay, here is the dumb question of the day...considering Corona beach or Reef Club..I am sure Reef Club has bathrooms....what about the Corona beach area near Buddys? Sorry..girls need this info!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
cruzn buckeye
Progreso, Mexico
25 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
Yes all the restaurants on the beach have bathrooms, some will charge you a few pesos if you are not eating/drinking at that resturant, others will not charge. There really is no such thing as Corona Beach in Progreso. The beach is all public, the name Corona Beach came about because Corona (the beer Company) has a restuarant on the beach and sell of course Corona beer. Try all the Bars/restuarants along the beach (malecon). Most will have covered tables on the beach and will serve you there. Some have beach lounge chairs for use if you are drinking/eating there.
Enjoy your stay in Progreso, It is the real Mexico.
Ohio
5,910 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
Originally posted by utahcousin
Yes all the restaurants on the beach have bathrooms, some will charge you a few pesos if you are not eating/drinking at that resturant, others will not charge. There really is no such thing as Corona Beach in Progreso. The beach is all public, the name Corona Beach came about because Corona (the beer Company) has a restuarant on the beach and sell of course Corona beer. Try all the Bars/restuarants along the beach (malecon). Most will have covered tables on the beach and will serve you there. Some have beach lounge chairs for use if you are drinking/eating there.
Enjoy your stay in Progreso, It is the real Mexico.
thanks!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
cruzn buckeye
Tennessee
166 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
How far down is the Corona Restaurant? My son who isnt going on the cruise with us, loves the Corona T-shirts....does the restuarant have a gift shop?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Previous cruises
CCL Holiday Jan 3, 2009
CCL Holiday Jan 5, 2008
RCCL SOS Dec. 2003
Disney Magic Dec 1999
Lake Norman, NC
1,546 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
We were in Progreso last month and I agree that it is a fun stop. The 4 mile pier is interesting. We did take the $2 open top bus (watch out for the low hanging wires; they're serious about that warning!). Afterwards, we walked over to the beach area, had lunch at Buddy's, and then waded in the water for a few minutes before walking back to the pier bus stop.

Glitz and fancy shops are not to be found! But that's okay. The area is trying to become tourist-y and it will take awhile. But, it's fun as it is.
High Point, NC
7,015 Posts
Joined May 2000
The4Cruisers. I honestly don't think the local residents ever want to be another Cozumel or Cancun. They really are a warm and happy people that are pretty content without the phony glitz.

Merida has a pretty healthy tourist trade, but more European (and even Asians) visiting than US. Americans are more attracted to the pure touristy areas and not interested in foreign culture or history. Even said, Merida and the Yucatan State do not depend on tourism for their existance.
Orange Beach, AL
484 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Thanks for the review of Progesso,, I have heard so many bad things about the place ..I was beginning dread our cruise coming up in Feb...I must agree it is in what you make of the trip that makes it great not the place.....we went to Kaui Hawaii a few years ago..and it was the best trip we had ever taken.. so we went back last X-mas and stayed on the other side of the island and it was dreadful....I only wished we had stayed at the same place as the first time... what do they say..."live and learn" well I have learned....stick with what you know.....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Dream 5/2011
Disney Cruise Wonder 4/2010
Carnival Fantasy 5/2009
Carnival Liberty 2/2009
Castle Kiahuna Plantation Bungalows Kaui, 12/2007
Carnival Holiday 5/2007
Norweigian 3/2006
Royal Caribbean Granduer of the Seas 12/2005
Disney Cruise Wonder 12/2004
Aston Islander Kaui, Hawaii 12/2003
Sandals Resort Montego Bay, Jamaica 12/2002
Carnival Cruise Fantasy 12/2001
High Point, NC
7,015 Posts
Joined May 2000
Agrip. You begrudge their efforts to feed their families? By comparison, have you been to Nassau, Cozumel, St Thomas, St Maarten or anyother cruise ports? Progreso and Merida don't even compare. BTW, if the visitor's were'nt interested in tee shirts, and other trinkets, do you think for one minute those vendors would waste their time?
Cedar Park, TX
775 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
Well said H.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Tim

I dream of a world where a chicken can cross a road and not have it's motives questioned.

Carnival Ecstasy 9/6/08
Carnival Ecstasy 9/17/07
Carnival Ecstasy 10/02/06
Carnival Elation 10/03/05
USS Kitty Hawk (CV-63) '84-'86
USS Hunley (AS-31) '83-'84

Getting to Death safely and quietly is not what life is all about.
Dallas, TX
57 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Progreso is beautiful and lively. Don't listen to the haters--get off the boat and enjoy a truly unique seaside town.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Conquest 9/13/2009
Voyager of the Seas 1/25/09
Carnival Ecstasy 5/12/08
Mountain Home, Arkansas
3,943 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
Originally posted by Girlfiend
Progreso is beautiful and lively. Don't listen to the haters--get off the boat and enjoy a truly unique seaside town.
I concur. We have been to Progreso 3 times and found something different to do each trip. I would go back in a minute.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Have a great trip and eat a shrimp or two for me.
Clackey

Celebration: Dec: 2002
Elation: Dec. 2003
Elation: Jan. 2005
Elation: Feb. 6, 2006
Grand Princess: Nov. 25, 2006
Splendour of the Seas: March 26, 2007
Holiday: Dec. 3, 2007
Holiday: Dec. 1, 2008
Valor: Nov. 29, 2009
Elation: Jan. 9, 2011
Valor: Jan. 29, 2012