Maple Syrup - I had forgotten!

bingo3

We bought the USP (unlimited syrup package) on our last cruise. They offered 5 bottom shelf syrups like Log Cabin and Mrs. Butterworth's.

You had to pay extra for the good stuff

:)

Yup. No maple syrup on THAT list.

For maple syrup...you gotta bring your own.

Sorta like ....for good beer. Gotta bring it or do without.

We bought the USP (unlimited syrup package) on our last cruise. They offered 5 bottom shelf syrups like Log Cabin and Mrs. Butterworth's.

You had to pay extra for the good stuff

This totally made me snort right out loud!!!!!!!

We DID get sent to the naughty room on the Star Mexican Riviera cruise because of a bottle of Maple Syrup that I had packed as a gift to exchange at the Meet and Greet! I hadn't thought about bringing some for our own use but I might do that next time!! We get so spoiled by having the real deal every day on our cereal that anything but is not acceptable!;)

We DID get sent to the naughty room on the Star Mexican Riviera cruise because of a bottle of Maple Syrup that I had packed as a gift to exchange at the Meet and Greet! I hadn't thought about bringing some for our own use but I might do that next time!! We get so spoiled by having the real deal every day on our cereal that anything but is not acceptable!;)

Have you ever tried MS in your coffee? OMG, it's so good. :p

Another example of NCL cutting to the bone. Also, people do care. They changed the syrup mid-cruise on me last month and the 'cheap' stuff was horrible. I wonder how long it will be until NCL offers good syrup for a nominal fee?

Well right here in Montreal in almost all ( except some "premium" places with premium $$ ) restaurant that are open for breakfast we have to pay for REAL maple syrup. Each year in the province of Quebec we produce MORE syrup than we sell/consume. Each year when the season starts they make an announcement that the "reserve" from last couple of years is now something like 25 000 gallons of syrup :eek: and after a certain time they just have to throw it all away :eek: . We pay about 7$ per 16oz can even if they simply dump in the garbage thousands of gallons.... CRAZY I tell you !

I just added Maple Syrup to my 'Packing Pro' app for the next cruise. on the Epic earlier this year I thought the sugar free syrup was actually better tasting than the regular!

fergusonvt: Just put it in a zip lock bag and you wont have a mess if it opens. Also' date=' the less airspace in the bottle, the better. :) [/size']

Well just to make sure you pack like a pro ;) , here is a list of some of the Bring Your Own threads we had already :

*maple syrup

*bacon

*lime

*mattress

*pool

*booze

*blender

*coffee/coffee machine/tea

*iron

*lounge chair

and more....

so do not forget to pack the essentials... ;)

Well just to make sure you pack like a pro ;) , here is a list of some of the Bring Your Own threads we had already :

*maple syrup

*bacon

*lime

*mattress

*pool

*booze

*blender

*iron

*lounge chair

and more....

But, what happened to the Pig and the BBQ? We need those when we take over the pool deck....:p :p And who was bringing the chicken for our fresh eggs to go with bacon? :p

Edited by All-ready2cruise

Well while I certainly like true maple syrup, I am just as happy with Aunt Jemima, IHOP, Mrs. Buttersworth, etc. But from the other maple syrup thread, it sounds like any of those "pancake syrups" would be a step up in quality from NCL's usual fare.

Will probably pickup the smallest bottle I can find in a grocer in Anchorage, the day before we go to Whittier.

*maple syrup

*bacon

*lime

*mattress

*pool

*booze

*blender

*iron

*lounge chair

and more....

They really need a LIKE button on here!

Now back to stuffing my piehole w/maple flavored bacon!:D

Well right here in Montreal in almost all ( except some "premium" places with premium $$ ) restaurant that are open for breakfast we have to pay for REAL maple syrup. Each year in the province of Quebec we produce MORE syrup than we sell/consume. Each year when the season starts they make an announcement that the "reserve" from last couple of years is now something like 25 000 gallons of syrup :eek: and after a certain time they just have to throw it all away :eek: . We pay about 7$ per 16oz can even if they simply dump in the garbage thousands of gallons.... CRAZY I tell you !

Don't want or need real maple syrup. The cheap stuff NCL used to use is fine. The sludge they now serve is unacceptable.

Well while I certainly like true maple syrup, I am just as happy with Aunt Jemima, IHOP, Mrs. Buttersworth, etc. But from the other maple syrup thread, it sounds like any of those "pancake syrups" would be a step up in quality from NCL's usual fare.

Will probably pickup the smallest bottle I can find in a grocer in Anchorage, the day before we go to Whittier.

You are correct. I do not live in an area where Maple syrup is such a hot item, so I am used to the store brand, which is definitely a big step up from NCL.... I'm telling you, it is the weirdest tasting thing.... I would have taken my own if I had remembered the threads! LOL!

I am sure the staff get a lot of conversation over such a petty thread (I started it, so I can say that), This certainly does not make or break a cruise. I just want people who may be serious about their syrup, to know they should take their own! :D

Yes, in the other thread I'd seen some self-described maple syrup snobs say they would have been happy to have one of the typical store brands over the goop that NCL puts out. Can't imagine why it's not at least on par with the brands I mentioned.

• 10 months later...

On our NCL tour to Quebec we did one of their tours:

"Take a step back in time as you cross the bridge to the Ile d'Orleans where you'll enjoy a scenic drive through the picturesque villages of traditional rural Quebec. Passing the tip of the island, see the lovely 19th-century resort homes of Quebec's rich merchant class with spectacular views of the skyline of the city. The Quebec area is well-known for its production of maple syrup therefore, during the tour you'll have the opportunity to visit an authentic sugar shack, learn about the production of the maple products and sample the sweet maple taffy". Snow and fresh from the tree maple syrup.

That was the best we ever had.

Edited by destiny217

*maple syrup

*bacon

*lime

*mattress

*pool

*booze

*blender

*iron

*lounge chair

and more....

You forgot...Hot Dogs!!:)

Never knew the "syrup" situation was so desperate on Norwegian. When I go on vacation I allow myself to indulge in my favorite breakfast items including waffles and pancakes. I cannot imagine enjoying weird syrupy stuff with an undermined chemical flavour. Thanks for the heads up Norwegian peeps. Will be smuggling my maple syrup over the border for sure.

Corn syrup has ruined everything we eat, especially here in the USA. Don't get me wrong, corn itself is a wonderful vegetable, preferably plucked fresh off the stalk, cleaned, wrapped in tin foil with some butter and a little salt, and put on the back of the barbecue. :) Awesome! But I had forgotten how good Coke was for example, until I tried it in Mexico. Made with REAL cane sugar. Wow! And yes, I have brought my own maple syrup on board with me too. :D

Does anyone know if the syrup has change in the last year? I had the nasty stuff on the Epic in Nov 2013 and didn't even try it on the Sun in Nov 2014 but would like to have some waffles on the Sun in Jun 2015 if they've finally changed from that vile stuff they called syrup!!!

Maybe it's because I'm the product of three centuries of central Maryland inbreeding, but maple syrup is way too strong a topping for pancakes. I prefer Baltimore's own King Syrup, but usually find myself going with the sugar-free alternatives on cruise ships.

Does anyone know if the syrup has change in the last year? I had the nasty stuff on the Epic in Nov 2013 and didn't even try it on the Sun in Nov 2014 but would like to have some waffles on the Sun in Jun 2015 if they've finally changed from that vile stuff they called syrup!!!

I was told AFTER our 2013 cruise that the sugar free syrup was more like the maple syrup we are used to having. So unless it has changed I will be trying the sugar-free that is offered or just bring my own Mrs. Butterworth's.

I was told AFTER our 2013 cruise that the sugar free syrup was more like the maple syrup we are used to having. So unless it has changed I will be trying the sugar-free that is offered or just bring my own Mrs. Butterworth's.

I know you've probably eaten Mrs Butterworths syrup for many years, but it has zero maple syrup in it:

"Mrs Butterworth’s Original ingredients: High Fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Syrup, Water, Salt, Cellulose Gum, Molasses, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Citric Acid, Caramel Color, Polysorbate 60."

But please continue to enjoy your cellulose gum and polysorbate 60. :rolleyes:

I didn't know Maple syrup came from Canada. I only know of Vermont Maple syrup.

The best!

Brought my own on our Jewel cruise and when I was going through the scanner the security fellow immediately called out "Crown" and was ready to confiscate it. We had a few laughs that no it wasn't Crown Royal but Vermont's finest.

Edited by kcwingwalker