What is Alpha, Alpha, Alpha??

BearySweet2Cruise

I think thats the emergency call for all hands to respond. I am not sure if it is a medical or fire emergency. Maybe the others will know.

For sure I know its not for someone just hitting a jackpot on a slot machine.

:D Does this mean that you've hit the jackpot on board ship????:D

Alpha is a medical emergency, Bravo is fire.

Correct answers. The ships doctor and medical staff will respond to the Alpha signal. The Bravo signal is for fire, whether it be large or small.

The signals are designed to not panic passengers.

On our Panama Canal cruise we heard that call. We asked our waiter and he said that was a medical emergency. I guess a older man over did it on a tread mill in the ship shape center and dropped dead of a heart attack. Yes the ships have a morgue too. On the Vision our waiter said that It could hold 8. He said the most they had die on one cruise was 3. The thing to remember is on the panama canal cruise it tends to be a much old crowd. We called it the geriatric cruise......average age was about 60. We were in our late 30's and we were the kids!

On our Panama Canal cruise we heard that call. We asked our waiter and he said that was a medical emergency. I guess a older man over did it on a tread mill in the ship shape center and dropped dead of a heart attack. Yes the ships have a morgue too. On the Vision our waiter said that It could hold 8. He said the most they had die on one cruise was 3. The thing to remember is on the panama canal cruise it tends to be a much old crowd. We called it the geriatric cruise......average age was about 60. We were in our late 30's and we were the kids!

How terrible for that man and his family.

Grab your life jacket when it switches to Bravo, Bravo, Bravo!!! Alpha (Bravo) is the emergency call for something. They do that so they don't upset the pax needlessly (or too early!) Imagine hearing the PA say, all hands on deck 4, FIRE!!

Bravo, bravo, bravo and a deck location ... I believe that means a fire on that deck. Fire on a cruise ship is far more dangerous than one on land.

Blue skies ...

--rita

On our Alaska cruise we heard the alpha call twice. It is followed by a location. The second time it was in the Windjammer right behind us. All crew members- waiters, chefs and bartenders responded, but the medical team was there in a matter of minutes. I guess that the entire crew must have some sort of emergency training.

Well... so much for not panicking the passengers - now we all know about it! :D

S.G.

Ssssssshhhhh!!! Not "everyone" knows, just the alert CC'ers. Then, anyone smart enough to be on this board, is smart enough not to panic!! Enough said:D :D

Rick

I thinks it pertains to a serious health emergency. We've seen it once

with a guy climbing the rock wall. He didn't make it. We saw his

body being unloaded in Grand Cayman. They tendered him and his

family ( no passengers) to the island and the hearse was waiting for

them. Very sad. The other time we heard it we later asked a crew

member and they said someone had died. I'll bet now that you know

what it is you'll hear it more often.