Puerto Madryn - Punta Tombo

kblakey

Suspect most of the chicks will have left by then. Visited in mid March a decade ago and all you had left were full-grown chicks in the process of shedding their down and trying out the ocean.

Visited a half decade later in early December (or late November) and you had just hatched chicks, so the time to visit is inbetween.

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from the South American Cruise. If you want to see penguins don't miss Magdalena Island in Puenta Arenas. We used Solo Expeditions. A 45 minute ride, 35 seat boat with a bathroom. It was a great trip. You can email mail them directly and they will answer quickly.

We are visiting Puerto Madryn on 14 April 2017

Is it worth visiting Punta Tombo to see the Magellanic penguins or will they have left by then?

What else would you recommend?

That is late in the season and you take the risk of penguins being gone. I'd suggest, just waiting until you are there. There are vendors available for walk up to Punta Tombo- just ask them if the penguins are still there.

The length of the ride for what you can see makes a trip to PT Tombo a bad choice at any time, chicks or no chicks...and regard any advice from vendors with suspicion.

Absolutely NOT true. What are you basing this "recommendation" on??? I have gone there numerous times 5++, ALWAYS independent. There are numerous reports of independent vendors offering excellent tours. I've not of ANY that caused cruise passengers to miss a ship. Add to my experience of also driving there several times.

Punto Tombo is an excellent location- in season- for viewing Magellanic Penguins in large numbers.

Just returned from the South American Cruise. If you want to see penguins don't miss Magdalena Island in Puenta Arenas. We used Solo Expeditions. A 45 minute ride, 35 seat boat with a bathroom. It was a great trip. You can email mail them directly and they will answer quickly.

Did they pick u up at the cruise ship?? We will be going March 13. Agree about not wanting to travel 2 hours each way.

Thanks in advance.

Sue

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Did they pick u up at the cruise ship?? We will be going March 13. Agree about not wanting to travel 2 hours each way.

Thanks in advance.

Sue

We are on the same cruise and booked with them through email. They respond very promptly. The price is quite reasonable and no deposit was required. You have to get yourself to their office, then they take you to the pier to board the ferry to the island. I need to look into whether the office is an easy walk from where we tender in or if we will need a taxi (if anyone knows, please advise, thx). If weather precludes going to Magdalena, as happens frequently, they will take you to a condor colony.

We are on the same cruise and booked with them through email. They respond very promptly. The price is quite reasonable and no deposit was required. You have to get yourself to their office, then they take you to the pier to board the ferry to the island. I need to look into whether the office is an easy walk from where we tender in or if we will need a taxi (if anyone knows, please advise, thx). If weather precludes going to Magdalena, as happens frequently, they will take you to a condor colony.

Thanks. Great info. I would think there must be taxis available. I will check also. Walking would be better !!

Sue

Absolutely NOT true. What are you basing this "recommendation" on??? I have gone there numerous times 5++, ALWAYS independent. There are numerous reports of independent vendors offering excellent tours. I've not of ANY that caused cruise passengers to miss a ship. Add to my experience of also driving there several times.

Punto Tombo is an excellent location- in season- for viewing Magellanic Penguins in large numbers.

Hi, Budget Queen!

I remember you from the Alaska Forum! You gave some really fabulous advice that helped us on our AK vacation, and I thank you! [emoji3]

We were interested in Punto Tumbo but also were considering a jaunt along the Valdes Peninsula during our port in Puerto Madryn in late February. Have you done both and if so, any advice to help make the choice? We love wildlife, so both excursions appealed to us.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We went to Punta Tombo with Tours By Locals. Yes, we were concerned about the two hour ride up and back too. However, whether on a private tour, ones by the ship company or a group tour everyone wound up there about the same time and left the same time. I did have many concerns about the long trip too. It is worth the trip!!!!

We were told solo expeditions was a few blocks from port. I was sent a map to follow and concierge on ship advised us about close location too. However, the ship was not in the close port so took a ten dollar taxi to office, After the boat trip the van driver dropped us off at the ship. Don't hesitate to do this trip on the 35 seater boat. It was a fantastic experience. I was in constant contact with the company. I also wound up adding ten extra people to our voyage that we had met on the ship three days before.

We were told solo expeditions was a few blocks from port. I was sent a map to follow and concierge on ship advised us about close location too. However, the ship was not in the close port so took a ten dollar taxi to office, After the boat trip the van driver dropped us off at the ship. Don't hesitate to do this trip on the 35 seater boat. It was a fantastic experience. I was in constant contact with the company. I also wound up adding ten extra people to our voyage that we had met on the ship three days before.

Appreciate this information Sandysk. We will try to be sure to get off the ship in enough time to cover any possibility. Really hope the weather cooperates so that we can do this trip, the reviews are very good.

Hi Budget Queen

My DH & I are hiring a car in Puerto Madryn (14th April)and I am debating going to Valdes Penninsula vs going south to see the Dinosaur Museum. I am pretty sure neither spot will have any penguins that late in the season. when you drove to Punto Tumbo did you see any wildlife on the way?

Hi, Budget Queen!

I remember you from the Alaska Forum! You gave some really fabulous advice that helped us on our AK vacation, and I thank you! [emoji3]

We were interested in Punto Tumbo but also were considering a jaunt along the Valdes Peninsula during our port in Puerto Madryn in late February. Have you done both and if so, any advice to help make the choice? We love wildlife, so both excursions appealed to us.

Thank you!

Yes I have been to both. In my opinion, the Valdes Peninsula needs a LOT more time. You can only do a small portion. Depends what YOU want to see? Elephant seals are the majority of sights, along with the emus. There is a small rookery of Magellanic penguins.

Certainly, both areas are highlights and worthwhile.

Hi Budget Queen

My DH & I are hiring a car in Puerto Madryn (14th April)and I am debating going to Valdes Penninsula vs going south to see the Dinosaur Museum. I am pretty sure neither spot will have any penguins that late in the season. when you drove to Punto Tumbo did you see any wildlife on the way?

The drive to both these location is an ugly dismal ride. Very little to see most of the time, a lot of "brown". I have seen armadillos, one I unfortunately hit.

Hi Budget Queen

The drive to both these location is an ugly dismal ride. Very little to see most of the time, a lot of "brown". I have seen armadillos, one I unfortunately hit.

Thanks Budget Queen. I'm still in two minds as to what to do and where to go when we are there.:confused:

For someone who has done the drive to Punta Tombo, which is the better route off of Ruta Natcional 3: RP 75 or RP 32? RP75 to RP1 looks more direct, but I read a post that suggested RP32 was faster due to more paved roads and higher speed limit.

For someone who has done the drive to Punta Tombo, which is the better route off of Ruta Natcional 3: RP 75 or RP 32? RP75 to RP1 looks more direct, but I read a post that suggested RP32 was faster due to more paved roads and higher speed limit.

I've always done 3 to 75. It's also what the car rental is going to recommend. You are limited to speed on 75 and take risks with some rental companies. A lot of insurances, don't cover this portion.

Pay attention in Trelew, if you don't have GPS. Signage can be missing (was in March) lucky I noticed a wrong turn quickly. You don't have time to spare, if you drive there. Get your tickets at the pull off on the left. You'll be going back there if you ignore/miss it. They used to sell walk up tickets at the gate but in March, was only using this ticket office.

Edited by Budget Queen

Yes I have been to both. In my opinion, the Valdes Peninsula needs a LOT more time. You can only do a small portion. Depends what YOU want to see? Elephant seals are the majority of sights, along with the emus. There is a small rookery of Magellanic penguins.

Certainly, both areas are highlights and worthwhile.

Thank you for the info! Both sound appealing. Is either the Valdes Peninsula or Punto Tombo more scenic as far as landscape?

Exactly what is not true? How long did it take to drive to Port Tumbo when obtaining and driving a rental car? How long on a tour or pvt car? 2 hours each way? (which is what it took us). For what? To see a few baby birds, (assuming it is nesting season).

I regard 4 hours of (boring) driving a pain in the butt, especially in an 8 +/- hour port stop. I guess it depends how important seeing baby penguins is to one.

• 3 weeks later...
Exactly what is not true? How long did it take to drive to Port Tumbo when obtaining and driving a rental car? How long on a tour or pvt car? 2 hours each way? (which is what it took us). For what? To see a few baby birds, (assuming it is nesting season).

I regard 4 hours of (boring) driving a pain in the butt, especially in an 8 +/- hour port stop. I guess it depends how important seeing baby penguins is to one.

I just did both places and can say I thought PT Tumbo was the best of the 2. The transportation to the Island is no picnic either and it can get rough in the boat. It is true that it takes 2 hours to get to Tumba but I don't think it is much more than the other. There was a pretty long ride just to get to the boat over and the the long boat ride on top of that to get to the island. In addition to that Tumbo has better facilities.

• 1 month later...

Our ship is in port 8am to 5:30 Puerto Madryn. We want to take a private tour to Punta Tombo which states it is an 8 hour excursion. If you do the math it is not enough time. Can anyone recommend a alternative tour or is this possible????? I really want to see the penguins but not at the risk of missing the ship . And we dislike using the cruise tours:o

We used ToursByLocals. We also were concerned about the time and missing the ship. However, what happened was all the tours including the ones organized by the ship left around the same time and returned together. In fact, because the ship used big buses that made longer bathroom stops we were ahead of them each time.

We used ToursByLocals. We also were concerned about the time and missing the ship. However, what happened was all the tours including the ones organized by the ship left around the same time and returned together. In fact, because the ship used big buses that made longer bathroom stops we were ahead of them each time.

Thank you for your reply. Punta Tombo is really the place to see the penguins IMHO . This may be the port to use a cruise tour just for the safety factor:eek: I could use OBC to pay!!!!!