Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > South America

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old December 15th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Hire Private guide for Iguzau Falls now or wait until we arrive?

I don't mean to run our Iguazu Falls trip into the ground but I've hit a few obsticles that may (or may not) need to be worked out.
I've been in touch with many guides recommended (many from the help of this board) but they're not able to offer us what we want in the short amount of time we're able to spend at the falls (approx. 5 hours).

I have finally found someone who is offering us a package for 5 hours as follows:

Half Day: Cross the Tan***** Neves Bridge with its lovely view of the Iguaçu Canyon en route to the Iguaçu National Park in Argentina. Visit the upper walkways which allow a different perspective and more intimate contact with the falls and adjoining rainforest filled with orchids, bromeliads, birds and other wildlife. The highlight of the trip is a visit to the suspended platform at the very brink of the abysmal Devil´s Throat- largest of the waterfalls. This trip shows you the highlights of the Argentine side.
Duration: 5 hours
(they will also be picking us up/delivering us back to the IGR Airport)

Since we've never been there before, does the above include the highlights? We were hoping to at least get a peek at the Brazilian side as well (we have Visas) but this guide is indicating that we don't have enough time. I'm kind of disappointed to not be able to see both sides. Has anyone else ever done both sides under a short time frame as we have? Our other option would be to wait until we check into our hotel (Sheraton) and hire someone through the hotel once we arrive. We stay overnight at the Sheraton but fly out the following morning.

Thanks again for all the great advice I've received here!

Old December 15th, 2005, 08:00 PM
5,000+ Club

The walkway at the devils throat has been destroyed by the recent flood about 6 weeks ago. Sounds like you are going to be on the Argentine side, sounds fine. I would try to do a boat ride. There are two options one picks you up and drops you at the base of the waterfall and the other takes you down river and then you take a truck thru the jungle. With your limited time. I would try to get them to book the boat where you don't do the jungle.

It is too bad you don't get to see the other side, but the walkways across the top are great. On the brazil side the walkways are a level below the top and give you a different perspective.

jc
1/15/2016 Anthem of the Seas 10 night Eastern Caribbean

1/11/214 RCI Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean 1/27/2013 RCI Freedom of the Seas Eastern Caribbean, 1/2011 Diamond Princess Australia and New Zealand, RCI Mariner of the Seas Mexico 2/2010, RCI Independence of the Seas transatlantic 11/2009, RCI Navigator of the Seas transatlantic 11/2007, RCI Splendour of the Seas Western Caribbean 2/06, HAL Rotterdam VI South America around the Horn 11/2005, RCI Legend of the Seas New Zealand, Tahiti, Hawaii, 3/03, RCI Adventure of the Seas Southern Caribbean 2/02, RCI Radiance of the Seas Vancouver to Hawaii 10/01, Celebrity Millennium Eastern Mediterranean 10/00, Celebrity Galaxy Southern Caribbean 12/99, Carnival Sensation Eastern Caribbean 4/98, RCI Majesty of the Seas Western Caribbean 1/96
email me at xpcdoojk@yahoo.com
Proud official member of the O crew

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

C. S. Lewis

Old December 15th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Which walkway was destroyed? The one on the Argentinan side or the Brazilan side? Both have walkways with views of the Devil's Throat. The Argentinan one is on top of the Devil's Throat, while the one on the Brazil side is near the elevator and restaurant and has a view of the Argentina side.

I would think that the tour you describe would be just about all you could do in 5 hours. I did a boat trip, which only lasts 20 minutes, but getting to and from the boat (from the Brazil side) and waiting for the tour added another hour. On the Argentina side you have to walk down to the boats, which can take quite a while (and longer to climb all the stairs back afterwards).

1986 HA Constitution: Hawaii 7 day
1988 NCL Skyward: Western Caribbean 7 day
1992 Crystal Harmony: Transcanal 15 day
1994 Golden Princess: Mexican Riviera 7 day
1995 HA Independence: Hawaii 7 day
1997 Celebrity Zenith: Transcanal 15 day
1999 Grand Princess: Mediterranian 14 day
2000 Regal Princess: Alaska Inside Passage 7 day
2000 Crystal Harmony: SF to Sydney 20 day
2001 HAL Ryndam: Cape Horn/SA 17 day
2003 HAL Statendam: Hawaii RT San Diego 15 day
2003 RCI Vision of the Seas: Mexican Riviera 7 day
2004 HAL Ryndam: Sea of Cortez 10 day
2004 Island Princess: Hawaii RT LA 15 day
2005 Island Princess: Hawaii RT LA 15 day
2006 Celebrity Mercury Mexican Riviera RT San Diego 10 day
2009 Sapphire Princess Mexican Riviera RT Los Angeles 7 day
2010 Sapphire Princess Mexican Riviera RT Los Angeles 7 day
2013 HAL Westerdam Alaska Inside Passage RT Seattle 7 day

Old December 17th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi - we just returned from Iguacu Falls last month - what exactly are you trying to do?

The walkway that got knocked down was on the Argentinian side - we were just on the one on the Brazil side and could see it. Most of the falls are on the Argentinian side - which means the best viewing is from the Brazil side. There's a walkway where you can walk right out below the waterfall (and get really wet).

It really takes a full day to enjoy the waterfall from both sides of the river - a half a day on each side. If you wanted to sprint the whole time you might be able to do both, but it sounds like you'll be staying there too - do the Argentinian side from the Sheraton when you stay there since it's right there.

I'd pass on the boat tour if you're short on time - you get a better experience from the walkway. A guide isn't really necessary for the falls - there's not that much to tell you - mostly you walk along the path and gaze in awe at the waterfalls, and take millions of pictures. Just make sure that if you see a stand selling ponchos, that you get one if you're planning on walking out onto the river.