Underwater Digital Camera

I'm looking for recommendations for a waterproof digital camera to take with me on my next cruise. I would like to use it while snorkeling around French Polynesia and the Cook Islands (Bora Bora, Moorea, Taaha, Aitutaki, and Rarotonga). What have you used that's worked well? Or what have you used that didn't work...because I don't want to buy that one!

Two reviews to look at and decide what is important for you

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q311waterproofcompactgrouptest

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209waterproofgroup

I'm looking for recommendations for a waterproof digital camera to take with me on my next cruise. I would like to use it while snorkeling around French Polynesia and the Cook Islands (Bora Bora, Moorea, Taaha, Aitutaki, and Rarotonga). What have you used that's worked well? Or what have you used that didn't work...because I don't want to buy that one!

For DSLR no, for P&S many these days!

I don't that they make waterproof digital cameras at this time.

They do make housing that will accept a digital camera for underwater use.

I have had several underwater cameras, including an Olympus and the Canon D10. Didn't like the Olympus--had ongoing problems with the lens cover jamming from sand. Liked (and still have) the Canon, but decided to get the Panasonic Lumix DMC TZ20 Digital Camera (not waterproof) and the Panasonic DMW-MCTZ20 Underwater Marine Case. The Panasonic camera is better for out of water use (16X zoom, GPS etc), and the separate marine case performs a lot better than any of the waterproof cameras (good down to 131 feet/40 m, and it looks so much more impressive).

The total cost was about $450, but the combination is so much more versatile than a underwater camera.

If you're looking for a budget-friendly underwater camera, you can buy Kodak C123.

This is the one my friend recommended. He is a professional photographer and had great things to say about this one.

I will get to try it out in 17 days!

:D

It looks like the Canon D20 is starting to roll out to stores as we speak. I am very interested in this camera as the D10 had glowing reviews and hopefully the D20 just improves on these. We currently have a cheap Kodak PlaySport ZX3 video camera and it works ok, but it's still picture quality is kind of lacking and it has already leaked and fried itself once. Luckily it was still barely in warranty and Kodak replaced it for us. Once it dies again I will be in the market again and will pay a little more for a better camera.

I have two of the Canon D10's because we love them so much. (Hubby and I were constantly fighting over who gets the camera while snorkeling) :D

As of our last cruise, back in March, the Canon D20 had not rolled out yet, so we just purchased another D10. The prices have drastically come down since the purchase of our first one.

If you'd like to see some pictures I've taken with the D10, just let me know. :)

i have an Olympus Stylus Tough6020 ( bought a few years back for my 2nd cruise) they have since made a new version but both me and my friend have the same collection of camera and its great. takes awesome pics and videos under water.

one tip we came across, add a hair pony tail around the camera strap to attach it to your wrist.. we both were so worried about it falling off while swimming we came up w that! works great. :D

I used a Cannon D10 for the exact trip and it was great, I love it but would like the new D20 if I was buying a new one. These are fine for snorkeling but if dive you may can to look at something different. Have a great time and the water in many of those stops is just like a bathtub. Just be careful around the coral in shallow areas.

I had an Olympus Tough (can't remember the series) I got it several years ago and used it on several cruises. This past Dec I was taking pictures in the water at the beach, walked up to my chair and dropped the camera approx 2ft into the sand. It never worked again!! :( It is supposed to be shock proof up to 5ft and I dropped it in sand which is soft.

I just purchased a Pentax WG1. I know someone with this camera and he claims it's great! Crossing my fingers.

I've used a Canon D10 for a couple trips now and it does a great job. The one thing that differentiates it from the other underwater cameras is the brightness of the LCD screen. All of my other cameras had very dim screens which made it difficult to frame shots underwater. The D10 has a bright screen which made all the difference to me. I bet the new D20 will do as well.:D

Since everyone is mentioning dropping the camera...I have to say my camera has been dropped more times than I can count. This includes banging it against things as well. My daughter (who just turned 4) has been playing with mine since she was 2. (I have to admit, she does a pretty good job at taking pictures at this point. We have posed for her in ports and she takes our pictures...we even still have all of our limbs attached in the pictures. :D). So it's like an energizer bunny...it keeps going and going and going....I'm really happy about that so far. :D

one tip we came across, add a hair pony tail around the camera strap to attach it to your wrist.. we both were so worried about it falling off while swimming we came up w that! works great. :D

Great idea, thanks for sharing!

I tried to wait for the d20 (I'm a brand loyalist) but since we ship out on Monday I gave in and ordered the nikon aw100. I'm pleased with it thus far and the reviews were stellar. I'll let you know in two weeks how it works snorkeling. :)

My cruise was April 20th. I really wanted the Canon D20, but I was just a few weeks early. So at the last minute I ordered a Panasonic Lumix Underwater camera (good to 40 feet.) That was rather freshly available, I believe.

Very easy to use, and brought it when I went diving in Grand Turk. Had to skip the first dive, since we went to 80 feet on the wall. The dive master told me I would be able to stay 40 ft and above on second dive, so I brought it along for the first time.

It was an expensive toy ($300?), but I am so happy I went ahead and purchased it. A whale shark showed up at the end of the dive, and it was fantastic! He hung around for 10 min - he was playing with us, other divers, snorkelers, and the boats. Stayed shallow, and just kept circling back to us.

I even got video, and I am trying to figure out how to edit it now, and upload it.

Definitely worth the purchase for me!

A whale shark showed up at the end of the dive, and it was fantastic! He hung around for 10 min - he was playing with us, other divers, snorkelers, and the boats. Stayed shallow, and just kept circling back to us.

I even got video, and I am trying to figure out how to edit it now, and upload it.

Oh my gosh...please figure it out and let us see it! :eek: You will probably have to upload it to a site like youtube and then give us the link.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
I have two of the Canon D10's because we love them so much. (Hubby and I were constantly fighting over who gets the camera while snorkeling) :D

As of our last cruise, back in March, the Canon D20 had not rolled out yet, so we just purchased another D10. The prices have drastically come down since the purchase of our first one.

If you'd like to see some pictures I've taken with the D10, just let me know. :)

I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 that takes decent photos, but I've never been comfortable with it...all my digital cameras have been Canons, and I think I just don't find the controls to be intuitive like I do when I have a Canon in my hands.

I agonized over the decision, but I just ordered a "Like New" D10 for about $150. I thought long and hard about getting the D20, but since I'm really only interested in still photographs I think the D10 will be perfect. I didn't want to spend a fortune, because this camera will only be used for snorkeling or beach type excursions. I'll still take a "regular" point & shoot and my DSLR on our cruises.

I have also used camera-specific waterproof cases with good results, but they tend to be bulky and the good ones are expensive!

I agonized over the decision, but I just ordered a "Like New" D10 for about $150. I thought long and hard about getting the D20, but since I'm really only interested in still photographs I think the D10 will be perfect. I didn't want to spend a fortune, because this camera will only be used for snorkeling or beach type excursions. I'll still take a "regular" point & shoot and my DSLR on our cruises.

I am just looking for some clarification...:)

Why do you say that the camera will only be used for snorkeling or beach type excursions and you'll be taking a regular type point & shoot? The Canon D10 is a regular type camera as well. If you look at any of my cruise pictures, it takes WONDERFUL pictures for day, night, you name it. So just wondering what you would need a "regular" point and shoot for? (I understand the difference about the DSLR.) :)

I am just looking for some clarification...:)

Why do you say that the camera will only be used for snorkeling or beach type excursions and you'll be taking a regular type point & shoot? The Canon D10 is a regular type camera as well. If you look at any of my cruise pictures, it takes WONDERFUL pictures for day, night, you name it. So just wondering what you would need a "regular" point and shoot for? (I understand the difference about the DSLR.) :)

I still like the convenience of a smaller camera that will slide easily into a pocket or an evening bag. Besides, I'm afraid that putting the D10 into a pocket any where near my thigh or rear end would just make things worse!:eek:;):eek:

Archived