Best way to spend a day in Grenada?

GloriaF

Hi, my husband and I (active late 50's) will be in Grenada on 12/5/06 on the Sun Princess. We are looking for the best way to spend a day in Grenada and feel like we have had a true taste of the island. We like snorkeling, exploring all the nooks and crannies in out of the way places on land, seeing the sights, just about all activities - and would appreciate any and all suggestions! Thanks :)

• 4 weeks later...

Take a whole island tour as this is one of the most beautiful and my favourite Caribbean island. I have been there four times both with island vacation packages and cruise stops. Get a group together and go with one of the local taxi vans as they will give you a more personalized tour, are able to go where the big buses can't and usually with a small group are more fun and cheaper than the ship's tours.

Just wanted everyone to know I just came back from the Crown princess and used Mandoo in Grenada he was very good! very informative and a nice man. he explained so much to us and love the spices Wait and buy them when you go to the place with the Mona Monkeys! Wheel and Deal!

But MAndoo was great and you can be rest assured about the safety and completeness of his tour there was 50 of us on his tour and was loved!

Just wanted everyone to know I just came back from the Crown princess and used Mandoo in Grenada he was very good! very informative and a nice man. he explained so much to us and love the spices Wait and buy them when you go to the place with the Mona Monkeys! Wheel and Deal!

But MAndoo was great and you can be rest assured about the safety and completeness of his tour there was 50 of us on his tour and was loved!

It was a couple of years ago, but we thought Mandoo was the best tour guide we have had anywhere. Ask him to try to work a spice plantation stop into the tour, and he will accommodate.

It was a couple of years ago, but we thought Mandoo was the best tour guide we have had anywhere. Ask him to try to work a spice plantation stop into the tour, and he will accommodate.

Yes he took us on a spice tour it was great!

ANd Thenford Grey in St Kitts was wonderful!

and were very pleased with the results. We paid $45 pp and it was half of what the tour with the ship cost, as twice as good. We were with Mandoo for 6 hours at least, maybe closer to 7.

He is very knowledgeable and a very interesting individual - we had 13 total and it was a wonderful small group. We went to the spice plantation, waterfall, rain forest, saw and fed the monkeys, stopped at the beach for a couple of hours, etc. He bought bananas for us to taste and tried very hard to make the tour the best it could possibly be. He is very considerate to stop the bus and let everyone get their pictures.

I can sincerely and wholeheartedly recommend Mandoo Tours!

Gloria I am with you on thiss tour guide I see why Conde Naste did a artical on him!

and were very pleased with the results. We paid $45 pp and it was half of what the tour with the ship cost, as twice as good. We were with Mandoo for 6 hours at least, maybe closer to 7.

He is very knowledgeable and a very interesting individual - we had 13 total and it was a wonderful small group. We went to the spice plantation, waterfall, rain forest, saw and fed the monkeys, stopped at the beach for a couple of hours, etc. He bought bananas for us to taste and tried very hard to make the tour the best it could possibly be. He is very considerate to stop the bus and let everyone get their pictures.

I can sincerely and wholeheartedly recommend Mandoo Tours!

Take a whole island tour as this is one of the most beautiful and my favourite Caribbean island. I have been there four times both with island vacation packages and cruise stops. Get a group together and go with one of the local taxi vans as they will give you a more personalized tour, are able to go where the big buses can't and usually with a small group are more fun and cheaper than the ship's tours.

I absolutely have to agree here. Taking a taxi is definitely cheaper than a ships tour plus this way you can personalize your own tour this way and get to many places that the big buses can not. Tell your driver what you like doing and seeing and he/she will be more than happy to show you their island. Also since they live there, they know places to go away from the overcrowded tourist sites that are absolutely breathtaking! We also like to find local restaurants to have lunch at and this is a good way to experience that also.

Have a wonderful trip!

- private tours via taxi or vans are the best way to go!

From reading on this board the recommendations for Mandoo, we decided to go with him. He met us at the port in a very nice a/c mini-bus with a speaker system so that everyone could hear him. He took us on a 6-7 hour tour hitting all the sights and ending with snorkeling at the beach - it was a perfect day. There were only 12 or 13 total in our composed group, all from Sun Princess since we were the only ship in port. He bought us all a banana so that we could taste the local fruit and entrance fees were included in his charge of $45pp. Such a deal!! I would recommend Mandoo to anyone~

When we booked Mandoo, he dropped us at Grand Anse beach for lunch at Coconuts. Right on the beach, great local food, please try something other than a sandwich! Spectacular setting, we returned several years later and it was just a pretty. (Thanks in large part to Mandoo!)

Depending on who is in port, you may have the place free of tourists, althought there are some colourful locals who'll stop by and say hello and offer to sell you the standard trinkets.

Unlike some other destinations, a polite but firm "no thanks" will end the hassle. Grenada is a jewel among destinations.

Hey Pam! Great to hear from you! Tell Susan & Chris I said hello and I hope you all have super holidays!!

cruznqueen, Mandoo indeed took us to Grand Anse Beach at the end of the tour - it was about 2:30 by then and we planned to stay a couple of hours. There was a restaurant and bar there, but none of our group chose to eat - I guess we were all too anxious to get to the water. The snorkeling was disappointing there, but the beach was nice and the water a good temp.

Here is the email he sent outlining the tour itinerary: Many thanks for your enquiries.The spice plantation route is ideal for your stay on the island. Douglaston spice depot,there will be a presentation on all the spices,you can purchase fresh quality spices there. Drive through the lush volcanic mountains to see the spices,cocoa and bananas plantations. Great photo shots. Grand etang crater lake. Rain forest. Small walk on the nature trail if so desire. May see the Mona monkeys. Annandale waterfall. Then to the beach for a swim which I give as complimentary for those who are

interested.

We were on the same tour!!

Here is what it covered (from an email from mandoo):

The cost was $45pp

Many thanks for your enquiries.The spice plantation route is ideal for your stay on the island.

Douglaston spice depot,there will be a presentation on all the spices,you can purchase fresh quality spices there.

Drive through the lush volcanic mountains to see the spices,cocoa and bananas plantations. Great photo shots.

Grand etang crater lake.

Rain forest. Small walk on the nature trail if so desire. May see the Mona monkeys.

Annandale waterfall.

Then to the beach for a swim which I give as complimentary for those who are

interested.

Cruisingoose, I just checked back and found your question - sorry for the delay. Fortunately I asked for a business card from Mandoo. I'll print the email here and email you ~

Mandoo Tours ~ Grenada Board of Tourism Award Winning Tour Guide

(he told us he has won for the past 3 years)

*Air Conditioned Tours*Airport Transfers*Personalized Tours By Arrangement

Tel/Fax (473)440-1428

Mobile (473)407-0024

Pager 441-7196 Channels 16 & 74 VHF

P. O. Box 826. St George's, Grenada, W.I.

http://www.grenadatours.com

email mandoo@grenadatours.com

yes, it is true. what a special day we had with mandoo. Grenada is most beautiful. We were so fortunate to have this knowlegeable, warm gentleman to share his island with us. Mandoo went out of his way to be sure to show us all the sights that he loves so much. He catered to every need we had. He showed extreme compassion in assisting my challenged friend throughout the day. Mandoo is a class act, sure to provide you with an unforgettable experience. I thank him for making my trip a lasting memory. rhonda

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I, together with another couple from Eastern NC, cruised Sea Princess from December 23-January 6. We pre-booked a tour of Grenada with Mandoo, outlining in several emails what we wanted to do and see. He was very accommodating, always answered our email questions promptly, and offered his own suggestions to complement our tour. When we arrived in Grenada, he was waiting for us with a sign with our name on it.

What a charming man he is, and knowledgeable, courteous, competent. He has a wonderful air-conditioned van, very roomy. We had asked for the spice plantation, Grand Etang Lake, and Annandale Falls, and had encouraged him to add any other attractions he might find interesting for us. Even though it was a Sunday and many shops and restaurants were closed, he took us to Dougaldson Spice Plantation, opened it up for us, and explained the process, also offering spices for sale. They were very reasonable, from $1 to $2 a bag, and the four of us thought that it was one of the highlights of our 10-port cruise. As we drove around Grenada, Mandoo spoke eloquently of the history and culture of his island nation, often stopping by particular trees or flowers to allow photographs and further explanation. Annandale Falls and Grand Etang Lake were both spectacular, as was all of the scenery in this beautiful country. We were able to take pictures at any time, ask him questions, and in general fix our own schedule. We decided to return to the ship for lunch since so few places were open, and he picked us up again after lunch and took us to around the city, the fort, and to a beautiful beach.

It is not necessary for you to select among his offerings. He will take you wherever you want to go, just let him know ahead of time or while you are with him. We recommend him to you without reservation. In all of our tours in all of the ports, he is definitely one of the best.

GG

Susie, did you need to pre-book your tour with Mandoo before arriving in Grenada? We will be on the Crown, and in port on Feb. 6th. I am assuming that you also only had 5 hours before the ship left.

I so hate feeling like we are being squeezed by the cruise lines. As an example in St. Kitts Princess is charging $129 for a train excursion, where if you book it your self it is only $89 plus the cost of getting to the departure point, which certainly isn't going to be the $40 difference.

yes we booked in advance with him.. and yes we had 5 hrs which sucked becuse you can only do so much in that amount of time BUT we saw so much, and its lush there. HE comes Highly recommended even in COnde Nast and has won many awards. I mean I can see the cruise lines making money but its ridiculous, when you go to Bonaire they do a beach day its $99 DO not do that! INSTEAD take a taxi about $10 total and go to the Plaza hotel its a $15 admission to have a chair and umbrella for the day and use their facility its the SAME thng the ship does except they give you lunch WELL I DOUBT you would eat $74 for lunch! What a rip!

Kiefaber could you email me when you return? I want to know your thoughts on the crew onboard this ship- we had found them to be rude and the Pursers desk OH BOY I hated to go there they were just not nice. Especially a SOfia could you tell me if she is still there? Beautiful Ship though.. a bit harder to get around on BUt its so port intensive you are hardly on the ship!

oh when in Bonaire when you exit out the gate to the left you go down to the 2nd corner I believe and make a right there is a house that the flamingo lady lives its eclectic BUT she has flamingoes in her backyard and all kinds of things ITs a Hoot and its free!

Susie, did you need to pre-book your tour with Mandoo before arriving in Grenada? We will be on the Crown, and in port on Feb. 6th. I am assuming that you also only had 5 hours before the ship left.

I so hate feeling like we are being squeezed by the cruise lines. As an example in St. Kitts Princess is charging $129 for a train excursion, where if you book it your self it is only $89 plus the cost of getting to the departure point, which certainly isn't going to be the $40 difference.

I'm not Susie, but I can respond to your question! Yes, we prebooked with Mandoo. You can email him at mandoo@grenadatours.com and he will meet you at the port. This is one of the best tours we have ever taken; just let him know what you want to do, or let him plan a tour for you, given the time you have. We toured with him from the Sea Princess on December 28th. We went to Annandale Falls, Grand Etang Lake, and through the rainforest. He also took us to the fort and to a beach. It cost $45 apiece for a longer tour than you're planning. We recommend him without reservation. Enjoy Grenada!

Connie

Thanks Susie for the review.

I will be on the Crown in April, and also booked with Mandoo. How stretched for time are we on this island. Did you have to run to the ship, or did you get there with a little time to spare?

Thanks,

Joanne

We did all day Northern Tour with Mandoo in October (Sun Princess). Mandoo gave us a wonderful tour including most of the places mentioned on this board plus a tour to a Chocolate Factory (organic chocolate), a Rum factory and an excellent lunch at one of the restaurant (all local dishes) at the beach.

If the ship will have a longer stay in Grenada, you might consider to take this tour. It is a 7 hours tour but you will get to see a whole of this beautiful island.

He got us back to ship on time even had a little extra time to do a little shopping at the pier.

Archived