"Smart Casual and Above" ?????

Marie50

So you have " formal" and smart casual and above. I've got the formal, but what does the other dress code mean for the days that are not formal??? Can they all be smart casual or anything dressier if it is not designated formal?

So you have " formal" and smart casual and above. I've got the formal, but what does the other dress code mean for the days that are not formal??? Can they all be smart casual or anything dressier if it is not designated formal?

Totally a waste of your time and all other's time since no one - NOT EVEN X - can answer this question. Wear what you want, how you want, as others will, too. Bad question on any forum.

I went on my first cruise in September on Celebrity. I brought button down shirts and khaki pants for the smart casual days. I ended up wearing them but just as often wore a polo shirt and jeans for smart casual.

I pretty much just wore whatever I wanted depending on where I was dining and what my plans were for the evening.

Simple answer to your question is "YES". The "above" is for those that like to wear nice dresses, men in sport coats etc. The "smart casual" is for those that want to wear polo shirts and khakis, designer jeans with a pretty top, capris, sun dresses etc. Either is what you'll see on "non formal" nights in the main dining room. "Smart casual" is a put together look. Not something you would wear gardening or on the beach.;)

Someone once brought up an aspect of onboard 'attire' that I never took into consideration until it was made so obvious: jeans may be a great 'casual' wear item, but khaki pants weigh significanlty less when packing! Plus they are a bit more comfortable and breath easier in hot climates, i.e. the Caribbean. Hence my next cruise will have more lightweight khaki than the heavier denim.

Someone once brought up an aspect of onboard 'attire' that I never took into consideration until it was made so obvious: jeans may be a great 'casual' wear item, but khaki pants weigh significanlty less when packing! Plus they are a bit more comfortable and breath easier in hot climates, i.e. the Caribbean. Hence my next cruise will have more lightweight khaki than the heavier denim.

Jeans come in my textures now, they are not necessarily heavy and hot. My favorite nice pair of jeans are no heavier or warmer than a pair of khaki pants.

DH normally wears khaki pants and a collared shirts (Button up, polo, etc) on the non-formal nights. I wear black pants or non-jean capris with a nice blouse on the non-formal nights.

Thank you!!! You wouldn't believe how much this short message clarified for me what's the norm on non-formal.

Totally a waste of your time and all other's time since no one - NOT EVEN X - can answer this question. Wear what you want, how you want, as others will, too. Bad question on any forum.

I respectfully disagree that the OP asked a bad question. Sorry there is no such thing as a bad question.

The answer is that "smart casual and above" means that guests may wear smart casual clothes or dressier clothes according to their desire. If we go to a specialty restaurant on a non-formal night, I will wear a tie and jacket. I don't dress formally, but it is nicer than smart casual. Nevertheless, others may want to dress formally on a non-formal night or dress "smart casual." It is one's choice. As eanj said, you wouldn't wear beach or gardening clothes, since those choices would not qualify as smart casual. I usually substitute the words "business casual" for "smart casual" and that seems to work.

Hi there,

If you check your book that you got when you booked your cruise you will see a section on recommend dress for formal, dressy and smart casual evenings. There is no such thing as a bad question when you do not know the answer.

Enjoy your cruise.:)

Hi there,

If you check your book that you got when you booked your cruise you will see a section on recommend dress for formal, dressy and smart casual evenings. There is no such thing as a bad question when you do not know the answer.

Enjoy your cruise.:)

Your right there is no such thing as a bad question but there is such a thing as a bad answer which was shown in this thread..

That's my take on the dress code after our 9/27 Millie cruise. I saw everything in the dining room and after 6pm around the ship. No one actually had on Speedos at dinner (okay - that I saw but it's possible!!!) but everything else shorts, jeans, tank tops, t-shirts, flip slops and then also jackets/ties, dresses, cocktail dresses and formal gowns at dinner. Didn't appear to be any enforcement of dress code on our cruise.

That's my take on the dress code after our 9/27 Millie cruise. I saw everything in the dining room and after 6pm around the ship. No one actually had on Speedos at dinner (okay - that I saw but it's possible!!!) but everything else shorts, jeans, tank tops, t-shirts, flip slops and then also jackets/ties, dresses, cocktail dresses and formal gowns at dinner. Didn't appear to be any enforcement of dress code on our cruise.

I don't believe you saw shorts in the dining room after 6. Except perhaps on the first night when baggage is delayed. Maybe after or pre dinner time in the public areas is where you saw them. Jeans are allowed in the MDR on smart casual nights. "Tank tops" in the form of a pretty top on a woman would be fine also. (NOT on men)

Speedo's??? Don't think so.

I have been on 15 cruises in the past 6 years and have never seen jeans in the dining room at night. Jeans ARE NOT Smart Casual. As one stated, you can think of smart casual as business casual and I don't know any companies that allow jeans for business casual? I have been on 4 cruise lines but never Celebrity. We are booked on our 1st Celebrity cruise March 21,2010. I hope we don't see jeans during evening dining. As far as formal nights: There is nothing more beautiful than a woman dressed to the nines in long or evening dresses. And I am sure most women enjoy seeing the men cleaned up also. It is apart of the cruise experience and sadly too many are not keeping the enjoyment of a fine cruise something they enjoy. But, we are older and have worked hard, normally 65-80 hour weeks and when relaxing enjoy the finer options of life. Enjoy your cruise, that is the main thing to remember. Life is short and have fun!!!!!!:)

I have been on 15 cruises in the past 6 years and have never seen jeans in the dining room at night. Jeans ARE NOT Smart Casual. As one stated, you can think of smart casual as business casual and I don't know any companies that allow jeans for business casual? I have been on 4 cruise lines but never Celebrity. We are booked on our 1st Celebrity cruise March 21,2010. I hope we don't see jeans during evening dining. As far as formal nights: There is nothing more beautiful than a woman dressed to the nines in long or evening dresses. And I am sure most women enjoy seeing the men cleaned up also. It is apart of the cruise experience and sadly too many are not keeping the enjoyment of a fine cruise something they enjoy. But, we are older and have worked hard, normally 65-80 hour weeks and when relaxing enjoy the finer options of life. Enjoy your cruise, that is the main thing to remember. Life is short and have fun!!!!!!:)

Get ready for it, I'm sure you'll see plenty of jeans for smart casual. Celebrity allows it.

I'm probably going to be in the minority here, but when we cruise, I dress every evening like we're going out to dinner at a fairly nice restaurant, think little black dress or cocktail dress. The dining room or speciality restaurant doesn't change for the evening depending on what the evenings dress code is. I don't much care what others do, it's always better to be over dressed rather than under dressed. I'm also a people watcher while having a martini in the evening and it's interesting to see what others are wearing, or not on any particular evening.

I'm probably going to be in the minority here, but when we cruise, I dress every evening like we're going out to dinner at a fairly nice restaurant, think little black dress or cocktail dress. The dining room or speciality restaurant doesn't change for the evening depending on what the evenings dress code is. I don't much care what others do, it's always better to be over dressed rather than under dressed. I'm also a people watcher while having a martini in the evening and it's interesting to see what others are wearing, or not on any particular evening.

Cate- I am with you! Must be a CT thing. Just started packing for our upcoming cruise..7 black cocktail dresses are in the bad..varying lengths. Cant go wrong.

Yes, there were shorts in the main dining room several nights. I didn't stop to get photographic evidence but there were indeed people in shorts.

I believe you! Last year ( Caribbean Cruise) at our table there was a couple who dressed like slobs even on Formal nights. They were the exception and not the norm. Such is life. It takes all kinds. Loll:)

Archived