Cigarettes on board

I'm a smoker and I couldn't possibly bring enough cigarettes for an eleven night cruise......what are the prices like on board? Are they duty free? I'm sailing from Australia, does that make a difference?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Forums mobile app

Not sure if it makes any difference sailing from Australia but you can buy cigs as soon as you sail away - they are about $28 per carton - they have deals on some - Marlboro especially - of 5 cartons for $125 (something like that). They do NOT carry all brands but have plenty of Marlboro's, Winston, Newport (I think). If you're fussy, bring your own. :D

Not sure if it makes any difference sailing from Australia but you can buy cigs as soon as you sail away - they are about $28 per carton - they have deals on some - Marlboro especially - of 5 cartons for $125 (something like that). They do NOT carry all brands but have plenty of Marlboro's, Winston, Newport (I think). If you're fussy, bring your own. :D

Thank you so much for the answer. What would a cartoon normally cost in America and how many packets would it have and how many cigarettes in each packet? Wow that was a lot of questions..

Thank you so much for the answer. What would a carton normally cost in America and how many packets would it have and how many cigarettes in each packet? Wow that was a lot of questions..

Thank you so much for the answer. What would a carton normally cost in America and how many packets would it have and how many cigarettes in each packet? Wow that was a lot of questions..

Don't know the cost, but a typical carton of cigarettes contains 10 packs of 20 cigarettes.

Don't know the cost, but a typical carton of cigarettes contains 10 packs of 20 cigarettes.

Thanks clarea.....the same as in Australia then

The 'cheapies' (if you can call them that) are around $50 a carton here in Maine. I believe Marlboros run closer to $70. They are cheaper down south by quite a bit, but I'm not sure how much. Maine is one of the most expensive places to buy cigs from what I understand.

You may not wish to purchase 'all' of your cigarettes when you initially board. At some Caribbean ports we've found cigarettes even cheaper (St. Maarten - $16 Marlboro). I usually research before the cruise, don't want to waste valuable port time 'shopping around' for cigarettes, but if it's an easy buy I'll hold off till then.

JerriB - I agree on St. Martin but have heard some of the other islands do NOT have the same Marlboro's so will only buy at St. Martin.

In Massachusetts Marlboro's are about $80 per carton. :(

I don't know what brand you smoke' date=' but on Voyager they had Marlborough for $10 a packet. I think it was something like $52 for 2 cartons. In Noumea they sold Winfield blue & red at about $10 a packet. :)[/quote']

$10?!?!:eek:

On Oasis it cost about $5.25.

Thanks for all the awesome replies. Here in Australia a carton of 200 is well over $100.......buying on board is looking fantastically cheap! I'm guessing it is excise free.

Heres a novel approach!

Give up smoking and save the money! Then you don't have to worry at all about where to get them or how much they are! :D

Enjoy life!

Heres a novel approach!

Give up smoking and save the money! Then you don't have to worry at all about where to get them or how much they are! :D

Enjoy life!

I'm sure the OP never even thought of that.

/facepalm

You may not wish to purchase 'all' of your cigarettes when you initially board. At some Caribbean ports we've found cigarettes even cheaper (St. Maarten - $16 Marlboro). I usually research before the cruise, don't want to waste valuable port time 'shopping around' for cigarettes, but if it's an easy buy I'll hold off till then.

Caribbean ports will have no bearing for the OP. The OP is sailing from Australia. I can't even guess what the duty free rules are for cruise's from there or what prices would be at any of the South Pacific ports on the itinerary.

This isn't a lecture or statement against smokers. I smoked for 35 years and quit 8 1/2 years ago. Even when i quit I really ENJOYED smoking. But now, reading the prices of a carton of Marlboro's (that and Benson and Hedges were my smokes).... think of all the money I'm saving. I truly had no idea they were that crazy expensive. YIPES!

Heres a novel approach!

Enjoy life!

Lol... ..yeah that thought has crossed my mind....damn addiction

Caribbean ports will have no bearing for the OP. The OP is sailing from Australia. I can't even guess what the duty free rules are for cruise's from there or what prices would be at any of the South Pacific ports on the itinerary.

Good point.....I'm thinking maybe I should post the question on the Aus/Kiwi board

Heres a novel approach!

Enjoy life!

YOU'RE KIDDING, RIGHT??? RIGHT???:mad:

Speaking of quitting, STOP!:eek:

Archived