The one disappointment on my first Princess Cruise (Coral Princess 2010) was the quality of the coffee delivered to the stateroom, in the buffet and in the dining room. Dare I hope that an improvement has been made, or, alternatively, can I request a coffee maker or electric kettle for my stateroom? I am a coffee lover, and this is a big deal. I know about getting brewed coffee with the coffee card, but I don't want to have to get dressed and leave the stateroom to enjoy my first cup of coffee in the morning.

[quote name='Lindaras']The one disappointment on my first Princess Cruise (Coral Princess 2010) was the quality of the coffee delivered to the stateroom, in the buffet and in the dining room. Dare I hope that an improvement has been made, or, alternatively, can I request a coffee maker or electric kettle for my stateroom? I am a coffee lover, and this is a big deal. I know about getting brewed coffee with the coffee card, but I don't want to have to get dressed and leave the stateroom to enjoy my first cup of coffee in the morning.[/quote]

I don't think you will be getting any kind of coffee maker or kettle. Those are not allowed due to fire regulations. If you don't like the coffee that is delivered, and don't want to head down to the IC, here's an idea that works great for us coffee lovers - Bring a supply of VIA Instant coffee from Starbucks, and order hot water. It tastes great and serves us well until we get out to the IC and use our coffee card.

It will be very interesting to see if the quality of coffee was addressed on this ship. The syrup they use in the buffet, dining room, etc. does not, for the most part, provide for a good cup of coffee. We buy the coffee card to get brewed coffee in the IC, which is a must for us.

Princess says they listened to their customers when they designed this ship...if they really listened, they will improve the coffee! ;). I will be sure to let you know when we cruise in July!

[quote name='homeinboca']I don't think you will be getting any kind of coffee maker or kettle. Those are not allowed due to fire regulations. If you don't like the coffee that is delivered, and don't want to head down to the IC, here's an idea that works great for us coffee lovers - Bring a supply of VIA Instant coffee from Starbucks, and order hot water. It tastes great and serves us well until we get out to the IC and use our coffee card.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your response! Would the water be hot enough to pour through a Melitta cone I wonder? If so, I could bring that, along with my favorite coffee. Hmmmmmmm . . .

[quote name='sunsetbeachgal']It will be very interesting to see if the quality of coffee was addressed on this ship. The syrup they use in the buffet, dining room, etc. does not, for the most part, provide for a good cup of coffee. We buy the coffee card to get brewed coffee in the IC, which is a must for us.

Princess says they listened to their customers when they designed this ship...if they really listened, they will improve the coffee! ;). I will be sure to let you know when we cruise in July![/QUOTE]

They have to get this feedback a lot! I'll be cruising in June, so I will let YOU know! :)

[quote name='Lindaras']They have to get this feedback a lot! I'll be cruising in June, so I will let YOU know! :)[/QUOTE]

Yes, please do!! You must be getting very excited as we are...and judging from you dates you are also doing Barcelona to Venice as we are. Hope you will be posting some of your observations. Bon Voyage :)

I really don't think that the coffee will change much if at all as it all boils down to dollars. At least there is an option for brewed coffee lovers, even if you have to go get it. The hot water with your own coffee and filter is about the best option.
Seaborn has brewed coffee but you pay a little more for the cruise.

[quote name='glazedandamazed']My wife and i live in Seattle, yes true coffee snobs!! We were just off the Emerald Princess, we brought our french press. Works great.

Mark/Sally[/QUOTE]

Thanks. What did you do for hot water?

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='glazedandamazed']we brought our french press. Works great.

Mark/Sally[/QUOTE]

[quote name='homeinboca']Bring a supply of VIA Instant coffee from Starbucks, and order hot water. It tastes great and serves us well until we get out to the IC and use our coffee card.[/QUOTE]

Have either of you heard of Aeropress? I used to use a FP at work but recently switched. As you mention bringing coffee aboard it makes me realize the all plastic construction of Aeropress would be great for travel, you may want to check it out. I will say up front that it's only good for a single cup at a time, but the plunger action makes cleanup super easy compared to scooping and rinsing a press.

[quote name='Lindaras']The one disappointment on my first Princess Cruise (Coral Princess 2010) was the quality of the coffee delivered to the stateroom, in the buffet and in the dining room. Dare I hope that an improvement has been made, or, alternatively, can I request a coffee maker or electric kettle for my stateroom? I am a coffee lover, and this is a big deal. I know about getting brewed coffee with the coffee card, but I don't want to have to get dressed and leave the stateroom to enjoy my first cup of coffee in the morning.[/QUOTE]

Best to purchase the coffee card on Princess. As with all of the ships, the free coffee isn't good. We also purchase beverages packages when available on other cruise lines and go to the speciality coffee bars, or buy the good brew especially in the AM.

[quote name='Gig103']Have either of you heard of Aeropress? I used to use a FP at work but recently switched. As you mention bringing coffee aboard it makes me realize the all plastic construction of Aeropress would be great for travel, you may want to check it out. I will say up front that it's only good for a single cup at a time, but the plunger action makes cleanup super easy compared to scooping and rinsing a press.[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much for your suggestion of the Aeropress. Just ordered one on Amazon! May not use it to travel but was looking for an easy espresso maker. I guess on a cruise, you would still need to find boiling water. But maybe just order tea, hold the bag

[quote name='Canada Geese']Thanks so much for your suggestion of the Aeropress. Just ordered one on Amazon! May not use it to travel but was looking for an easy espresso maker. I guess on a cruise, you would still need to find boiling water. But maybe just order tea, hold the bag[/QUOTE]

Sure thing! I hope you won't be disappointed when you find it is a pseudo espresso, no crema. The strength depends on how much coffee grounds and how long you steep it. I recommend looking on YouTube, there are many videos showing different ways to use it (Aeropress is very versatile).

• 2 months later...
[quote name='Lindaras']The one disappointment on my first Princess Cruise (Coral Princess 2010) was the quality of the coffee delivered to the stateroom, in the buffet and in the dining room. Dare I hope that an improvement has been made, or, alternatively, can I request a coffee maker or electric kettle for my stateroom? I am a coffee lover, and this is a big deal. I know about getting brewed coffee with the coffee card, but I don't want to have to get dressed and leave the stateroom to enjoy my first cup of coffee in the morning.[/QUOTE]

I don't think the terrible coffee is limited to the Coral Princess. We just returned from a cruise on Caribbean Princess and the coffee was terrible. We thought it was worse than instant coffee. NCL has coffee makers in their cabins, plus luxurious espresso makers in their "suites" and there have been no fires as a result of their being there. If there is one thing Princess can do to enhance the cruise experience would be to add these to all cabins. If they have automatic shut-off mechanisms, no worry of their being fire hazards.
Cole. ;)

We are taking a Princess mini cruise this month.
We have taken several Celebrity cruises, because we like the non smoking policy and their anytime dining option.
We were also very impressed with the standard of the coffee in the buffet, although that didn't stop us having our daily caffeine fix in Cafe al Bacio!
They also provide a kettle etc in the cabin from the UK, so do not understand that these are selectively considered a fire risk!
It looks like I will have to take my French Press (cafetiere) and get water in the buffet if the coffee at breakfast turns out to be unacceptable.
This cruise is to find out whether Princess will be a possible future alternative to Celebrity, and while the standard of the "free" coffee will not be a deal breaker, it may not reflect favourably on the perceived quality of the food and drink offerings.
Ps I take a metal tea strainer with me to empty the grounds from the cafetiere for disposing of in the bin.

[quote name='Ergates The Ant']We are taking a Princess mini cruise this month.
We have taken several Celebrity cruises, because we like the non smoking policy and their anytime dining option.
We were also very impressed with the standard of the coffee in the buffet, although that didn't stop us having our daily caffeine fix in Cafe al Bacio!
They also provide a kettle etc in the cabin from the UK, so do not understand that these are selectively considered a fire risk!
It looks like I will have to take my French Press (cafetiere) and get water in the buffet if the coffee at breakfast turns out to be unacceptable.
This cruise is to find out whether Princess will be a possible future alternative to Celebrity, and while the standard of the "free" coffee will not be a deal breaker, it may not reflect favourably on the perceived quality of the food and drink offerings.
Ps I take a metal tea strainer with me to empty the grounds from the cafetiere for disposing of in the bin.[/QUOTE]

Princess has a coffee card that I believe is around $25. for 12 cups of fresh brewed speciality or freshly brewed coffee. Not expensive. Is it worth it to deal with the mess and prep of making your own coffee on vacation? I guess to each his own.

Enjoy your cruise.

I was under the impression that "proper" expression based coffee drinks and brewed ground coffee were only available from the International Cafe? Am I wrong?
I would rather carry a cafetiere to the buffet in the morning than cups of coffee from the IC!
I don't even drink instant coffee and the sound of a syrup-based beverage does not appeal at all. It is not the cost that is the problem, but the convenience.
Any information gratefully received.

[quote name='cole']If there is one thing Princess can do to enhance the cruise experience would be to add these to all cabins. If they have automatic shut-off mechanisms, no worry of their being fire hazards.
Cole. ;)[/QUOTE]

Totally agree! I will say that the coffee aboard Royal Princess turned out to be less terrible (dare I even say better) that what I had experienced on Coral Princess. I wasn't willing to chance it, however, so I packed a heating coil, a small metal "carafe" for boiling enough water for one cup, and my Melita single cup cone filter system, and I did make my own coffee in the room. Our cabin steward advised me to keep my coil in a drawer so a random cabin inspection wouldn't get me into trouble. I also found that hot water delivered with breakfast was hot enough to make a decent cup, so I probably didn't need to bring the coil, at least for morning coffee.

Linda

to Lindaras, how did you manage to bring a hotwater coil on board? I figured that would be confiscated as a fire hazard. I'd like to have one in the stateroom as we are fanatics about tea. I really, really hate ordering hot water for tea & having it come in a pot that tastes of previous coffee use.

[quote name='Borisbuddy']to Lindaras, how did you manage to bring a hotwater coil on board? I figured that would be confiscated as a fire hazard. I'd like to have one in the stateroom as we are fanatics about tea. I really, really hate ordering hot water for tea & having it come in a pot that tastes of previous coffee use.[/QUOTE]

The little metal "pitcher" I use for boiling the water is about the same size as the coil, so I packed the coil inside the pitcher. Perhaps that made the coil 'invisible' to the scanner? I don't know.

[quote name='Lindaras']The little metal "pitcher" I use for boiling the water is about the same size as the coil, so I packed the coil inside the pitcher. Perhaps that made the coil 'invisible' to the scanner? I don't know.[/quote]

I always carry a curling iron and a clothes steamer. Never had a problem.

Archived