Seattle Local Info??

We will be in Seattle for one night before a Sept cruise. Looking for a decent "local" type of bar/restaurant (wife doesn't want me to use the term dive!!!) for food and drinks. Not really into the big name places and chains. Type of cuisine is open, I love seafood, wife loves burgers and fries, but both of us are open to almost anything.

Any thoughts appreciated!!!

Gerry

I have a standard restaurant in Seattle thing I like to send out and I will add it below. But I think the perfect place for you would be the Brave Horse Tavern in South Lake Union. You can get there from downtown on the South Lake Union Street Car. It sounds like just what you are after.

Here's the rest of the restaurant stuff if you are interested in more:

Not sure where you are staying but here's my recommendations. I keep them in a file for when clients and friends come to town. Just updated them last week for a client. Also some stuff to help with directions.

These are my favorites downtown. We love to eat out and have several faves downtown. If you are want to drive someplace, I have more but you will have to drive.

Getting around on foot is easy in Seattle. Especially if you know the magic formula. All the North-South streets are numbered. The East-West streets can be summed up with a neumonic: Jesus Christ Made Seattle Under Pressure. The streets start with Jefferson and James Streets on the South, then Cherry and Columbia, followed by Marion and Madison, then Spring and Seneca and finally Pike and Pine. That always helps us know where we are.

All the names of restaurants below are links.The one for Tom Douglas connects to all his restaurants.

Here are the restaurants:

Lola. Hands down my favorite restaurant in the world. Corner of 4th and Virginia. New Greek but so much more. Seattle's premier restaurateur is Tom Douglas. He owns eight restaurants within about 15 blocks of each other. All are fantastic. For truly great and interesting food, try Lola. We are going there tomorrow and I can't wait. Last time we went I had fried pita with a kalmata olive and fig spread, dolmades (stuffed grape leaves), a wonderful octopus appetizer, a tagine of goat with winter root vegetables and an apple/pomegranate crostada for dessert. I can still taste it all. Lola is in the Hotel Andra and their breakfast is OUTSTANDING too.

Across the street is Dahlia Lounge, one of Tom's other restaurants, the grand dame of Seattle (actually seen in Sleepless in Seattle) restaurants. More expensive and fancier than Lola (Lola is casual night, Dahlia is semi-formal night). Dahlia is doing a new brunch. Yummy.

Tom's other restaurants are Palace Kitchen (a young, trendy crowd and just around the corner from Lola), Etta's Seafood (touristy and near Pike Place market), Serious Pie (gourmet pizza behind Dahlia Lounge) Seatown (sandwiches and next door to Etta's) are all within walking distance of your hotel. His new ones are in the new "hot" section of Seattle, South Lake Union. Cuoco for Italian, Ting Momo for Tibetan dumplings, and the Bravehorse Tavern (the same vibe as Palace Kitchen). All are great. You cannot go wrong with one of Tom's restaurants.

Purple Cafe and Wine Bar is nice and mid-priced. Best place for wine. 4th and University downtown as well as Kirkland and Woodinville on the eastside.

For Asian, we love three places. For pan-Asian try Wild Ginger (corner of Union and 2nd) is wonderful. Long (corner of 2nd and Stewart) is exceptional Vietnamese food. And for more Pan Asian in the upper part of town try Dragonfish. (Corner of Pine and 8th). We take big groups there because you can order a bunch of food and share.

If you are big steak or seafood people, there is nothing like Seastar. Seastar has a place in Bellevue as well. It's the original one. Food is equally good in both places. Great steaks, amazing seafood. You will find it on Westlake Blvd in the same building as the Pan Pacific Hotel. A little further down the street on Westlake (in the same building where my wife works) is Flying Fish. Fantastic drinks, fantastic food. Great fish.

All of these take reservations and you can get those for most of them (other than the Asian ones) on Open Table.

North of Seattle, Tilth on 45th is AMAZING food. Total organic and totally delicious. Owned by Chef Maria Hines. She just opened a new middle eastern restaurant in Ballard called Golden Beetle. We have eaten there once and can't wait to go back. Food was incredible. Also in Ballard is a great Italian place called Volterra. Great food. Nice atmosphere.

In Madison Park, Kirkland, West Seattle and soon South Lake Union is my second favorite restaurant, Cactus. Never had a bad meal there and have eaten there more than 30 times. All their places are wonderful and South Lake Union is sure to be great too.

Wow you get to ride a S L U T (South Lake Union Street car) to a dive if you want :D

When it's a SLUT it's the South Lake Union Trolley and yes, there are t-shirts you can buy at a number of locations that say, "I rode the SLUT in Seattle."

Jim

Now, that there's funny!!!

Thanks for the info, but sounds a bit higher class than we are looking for. But will consider them!

Staying at the Edgewater. I do plan on a lunch or a lunch drink at the Athenian Inn. I suppose I would be fulfilling the "dive" part.

Now, that there's funny!!!

Thanks for the info, but sounds a bit higher class than we are looking for. But will consider them!

Staying at the Edgewater. I do plan on a lunch or a lunch drink at the Athenian Inn. I suppose I would be fulfilling the "dive" part.

Bravehorse Tavern won't be too high class for you. All the real "dives" are on Capitol Hill. If you are staying at the Edgewater there is really nothing that isn't a chain down by the waterfront. Total tourist food and tourist prices.

Archived