1 Free day in Anchorage

lovetotraveltx

It would help if you indicated your interests and physical ability. No point in suggesting fishing if it's not an interest.

I'm not a fan of cities, so other than renting a bike and peddling along the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail, I'd get out of town.

If you want to stay in anchorage, check out the town web site which has many many ideas. http://www.anchorage.net

I'd rent a car and drive along the Turnagain Arm, stopping at Potters Marsh, Williwaw, Portage Lake ($30 cruise) to the glacier, Portage Lake Visitor Center, Alyeska Resort tram, Wildlife Conservation Center, hiking. All within 40 miles of Anchorage. http://www.alaska.org/guide/turnagain-arm-drive

It would help if you indicated your interests and physical ability. No point in suggesting fishing if it's not an interest.

I'm not a fan of cities, so other than renting a bike and peddling along the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail, I'd get out of town.

If you want to stay in anchorage, check out the town web site which has many many ideas. www.anchorage.net

I'd rent a car and drive along the Turnagain Arm, stopping at Potters Marsh, Williwaw, Portage Lake ($30 cruise) to the glacier, Portage Lake Visitor Center, Alyeska Resort tram, Wildlife Conservation Center, hiking. All within 40 miles of Anchorage. http://www.alaska.org/guide/turnagain-arm-drive

Thanks! I would like to see the city. Maybe even walking things from the Marriott Downtown. We will be doing the country and a night in Aleyska with our cruise tour.

The Anchorage Museum at Rasmuson Center is within easy walking distance of the downtown Marriott. I find some of the older displays rather dated but the section curated by the Smithsonian is fantastic.

A number of restaurants are within easy walking distance, including the Glacier Brewhouse, Sacks Cafe, Simon and Seafort, and those in the Captain Cook Hotel (I think that Fletchers in the Captain Cook is often overlooked).

The Anchorage Museum at Rasmuson Center is within easy walking distance of the downtown Marriott. I find some of the older displays rather dated but the section curated by the Smithsonian is fantastic.

A number of restaurants are within easy walking distance, including the Glacier Brewhouse, Sacks Cafe, Simon and Seafort, and those in the Captain Cook Hotel (I think that Fletchers in the Captain Cook is often overlooked).

Thank you!

For 1 day is their trolley worth a one-day pass for a little history and transportation??

No, it's not a hop on, hop off type of thing. It's tour. If I was in your shoes I'd rent a car. I live here so I don't have to do that but that's what I'd recommend. So much more to Anchorage then that little bit of downtown.

Thanks! I would like to see the city. Maybe even walking things from the Marriott Downtown. We will be doing the country and a night in Aleyska with our cruise tour.

I'm going to be totally honest here. I am not an Anchorage fan...never have been, never will be. I won't go into specifics in order to avoid offending the locals on this site. I'll just say I don't like that city.

I know you have a cruise tour, but I still recommend renting a car and doing some of your own exploring down the Seward Hwy. I suggest making a day trip to Whittier, stopping and doing some hikes on the trails along the way. The Byron Glacier hike is relatively short and is on a flat trail that starts near the Portage Glacier visitor center near Whittier.

Have to agree with above poster. We are from Sydney, Australia and have just spent 5 great days driving around Alaska. We did do the 1 hr trolley but found it rushed and uninteresting. Did spend just 30 minutes at the Museum as we ran out if time. Have 2 days left before boarding the ship.

Hire a car and drive out towards Palmer, take the old Glenn Highway, then drive on to Matanuska Glacier and about 10 miles beyond to Sheep Mountain before returning for some fantastic mountain views. The road is in good shape. You could cut back to Wasilla from Palmer then drive down the Parks Hwy back to Anchorage.

Several detours could be taken such as at Eagle River or just past PALMER turn left to the old Independence Mine site through Hatcher Pass. Also just past Palmer is the Musk Ox farm which is also very interesting especially for kids.

We did the drive from Anchorage to Matanuska, then via Glenallen to Paxon, up tne Denali Hwy to mile 21. Also to Fairbanks and Denali. Heavy roadworks though north of Denali.

Renting car is not an option, since it's a Sunday they are either all closed downtown or very limited hours.

We'll have to see what we can by public transportation.

Could I get to the wildlife center without a car?

Maybe everything is closed on Sundays, will research.

Thank you all for your tips!

Maybe pick up a car at the airport upon arrival on Sat and drive to Girdwood to overnight ... only 40 minutes away.

Or stay by the airport upon arrival so you can pick up a car the next morning. The airport offices are open on Sunday.

Without a car the only way to get to the Wildlife Center is by tour; Salmonberry offers it but its $49pp. For 2 people that's $100 and for that price you could get a car for an entire day.