Duty Free in Noumea

feejul

Hi all

I'm off on the Jewel end of May, and last time I was on her I overheard someone talking about buying really cheap duty free in a shop in Noumea. Just wondering if anyone can give me the name, or knows where it is?

Cheers Fiona

Hi all

I'm off on the Jewel end of May, and last time I was on her I overheard someone talking about buying really cheap duty free in a shop in Noumea. Just wondering if anyone can give me the name, or knows where it is?

Cheers Fiona

Fiona if you are after duty free smokes or alcohol there's a duty free shop about 4 blocks from the terminal but you need your passport and they deliver to the ship.... you need to spend a mininum of $40 to get the duty free items.......if you ask at the information desk in the terminal they will give you a map and give directions.....if you are going to Vila its much cheaper

Marlenes is one of the duty free shops in Noumea. To find it -

When you walk out of the cruise terminal turn to the left and cross the main road at the first set of lights. Walk down that street (it is on the left-hand side of Coconut Square). Walk three (I think it is three) blocks and turn into the street that has the old Town Hall (now a museum) on the corner. Walk to the next street and Marlene's is on the corner. There is another duty free shop in that street, but I haven't been in there.

At Marlene's you will have to have your passport or they cannot sell to you. They take AUD cash at a good exchange rate. The prices are good, but the range is limited and if there has been a cruise ship in since they received their last shipment of stock, it can be very very limited (even to the extent of only having half a dozen bottles of very expensive spirits).

If you are going to Vila, Fung Kuei is a much better bet. Prices are great, the range is fantastic and the volume of stock is such that they don't ever seem to sell out.

It looks like your cruise isn't going to Vila. I suggest it could be worthwhile checking out the prices on board the ship. In the last couple of years P&O prices aren't too bad. Usually they offer a discount if you buy in the first two days.

When you walk out of the cruise terminal turn to the left and cross the main road at the first set of lights. Walk down that street (it is on the left-hand side of Coconut Square). Walk three (I think it is three) blocks and turn into the street that has the old Town Hall (now a museum) on the corner. Walk to the next street and Marlene's is on the corner. There is another duty free shop in that street, but I haven't been in there.

At Marlene's you will have to have your passport or they cannot sell to you. They take AUD cash at a good exchange rate. The prices are good, but the range is limited and if there has been a cruise ship in since they received their last shipment of stock, it can be very very limited (even to the extent of only having half a dozen bottles of very expensive spirits).

If you are going to Vila, Fung Kuei is a much better bet. Prices are great, the range is fantastic and the volume of stock is such that they don't ever seem to sell out.

It looks like your cruise isn't going to Vila. I suggest it could be worthwhile checking out the prices on board the ship. In the last couple of years P&O prices aren't too bad. Usually they offer a discount if you buy in the first two days.

AT, the duty free smokes on board p&o are so dear now even Noumea is cheaper than the ships prices

Great information, thanks. Any idea if it would be open on a Sunday?

or would you know how I could find out.

Thanks again for the information

Great information, thanks. Any idea if it would be open on a Sunday?

or would you know how I could find out.

Thanks again for the information

They were open one Sunday when we were in Noumea, even though nearly all the other shops were closed. No guarantees though.

Maybe if you email the Noumea Tourist Information Office they will be able to tell you.

They were open one Sunday when we were in Noumea, even though nearly all the other shops were closed. No guarantees though.

Maybe if you email the Noumea Tourist Information Office they will be able to tell you.

Thank you, thats what I will do!

• 2 weeks later...
We were in Noumea on a Sunday and everything was closed. I don't know why the cruise ships insist on going on a Saturday or Sunday if nothing is open. They could change the itinery accordingly and do Noumea on another day. At least the Tour people still opened up.

Most shops are closed in Noumea on a Sunday but it is a different matter with tourist-oriented places. For instance, the aquarium is closed on Mondays, Tjibaou Cultural Centre is closed on Mondays, the gardens/zoological gardens are closed on Mondays, and the museum is closed on Tuesdays.

The duty free shop that was the subject of the original enquiry was open on a Sunday when we were in Noumea on one of our trips last year.

• 2 years later...
I am wanting to know is there a shop that sells Dune Perfume in Noumea and what the price would be.My local Perfume Shop at Tea Tree Plaza sells the Big Bottles for $140 to $160 so would like to do a price comparison.

there's a link for Marlene's duty free shop in Noumea, send them an email

http://www.jasons.com/new-caledonia/southern-province/noumea/marlene?adult=2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...