Princess Review & LGBT Meetings onboard

AttilaTheFun

Judging from the LGBT roll calls, Princess isn't super-popular with our demographic, but I posted a review and some pictures from our Southern Caribbean 7-day sailing onboard Crown Princess if you're interested:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1586703

Princess had LGBT Gatherings printed in the Patter (official listing of activities) nearly every evening, usually around 5:15pm. I was impressed by that, but a bit disappointed that every gathering was unhosted. Would it really take that much effort for at least one Princess employee to show up and host? The gatherings were not well-attended either, even though there were definitely some LGBT couples on board. Oh well, maybe this is the assimilation everyone wanted when they complain about FOD meetings.

I've been on Princess sailings where LGBT meetings were hosted, sometimes repeatedly, sometimes with free champagne. It depends, I guess, on the CD and staff.

What irritated me about get-togethers on my last sailing, on the Grand, was that they were scheduled at cocktail hour in a high-traffic bar choc-a-block with straight folks, making it impossible for us to do more than stand around in awkward bunches. The first one, at least, was well attended, but when we arrived, we couldn't even figure out at first who the queers were. (Turned out they were the well-dressed ones who looked like they went to the gym. ;) )

I will say that in my two-months-plus on Princess, I've never witnessed any open homophobia, or had it promoted or countenanced by the staff - unlike my experience on HAL. There was a comic or two with questionable material, but nothing hostile.

The onboard piano player who performed one theater show was fantastic and I think pretty obviously "family". He had a very cute boyfriend and they were seen together a lot on the ship and in port. He did say "tranny" in his theater show, which I thought was mildly offensive, but it didn't seem to ruffle any feathers with the crowd.

• 2 weeks later...

We did back-to-back Panama Canal cruises in Jan on the Coral Princess. There was a notice for GLBT gathering in the piano bar almost every day, though at weird hours, like 4:00pm. You know, "if they gave a party and nobody came"? While there were not a large number of gays on either cruise, there were far more than showed up, usually no more than 6, and that was very infrequently. A gay old time was definitely not had by all. BTW the food was rather disappointing as were the lectures on the very many days at sea; 4 ports in 14 days.

A gay old time was definitely not had by all. BTW the food was rather disappointing as were the lectures on the very many days at sea; 4 ports in 14 days.

Luck of the draw, I guess. Of my Princess cruises, perhaps the most-attended queer meets were on the trans-Canal cruise on the Coral's sister ship, the Island. We made some friends there whom we hung out with throughout. The onboard lecturer was interesting, and entertaining, too, but lectures, of course, vary from cruise to cruise. Food is highly subjective; I'm not a cheerleader, but have never been on Princess cruise where the food's been "disappointing" (with the exception of certain dishes - lose the pot roast.) And presumably you knew about the number of sea days when you booked.

Sorry you didn't like Princess.

I was on Caribbean Princess on Jan 29-Feb 5 and the GLBT meetings also had a very small attendance. As it was a port intensive itinerary (5 ports) in 7 days that could have been a reason. The several guys we did meet were very amicable.

On Carnival Splendor in Oct 2010, their meetings attracted about 25 people each night and was a huge success and most of us started hanging together all the time and in ports.

On my January 2012 Emerald Princess cruise. 5 'announced' get togethers. No Princess representatives. A few guys and a couple ladies. One thing I did like was that they varied the times, so if one time did not fit your schedule, others did (pre dinner, between dinners, afternoon on sea days).

On my Star cruise last year, there were none in the Platter.

• 4 months later...

The LGBT get togethers have been hit or miss for me as well. They are much better if at least the first one or two are hosted. On my first one on the Grand crew and performers attended as well and that made the experience much better. As far as location, for whatever reason a more visible locaton seems to get a better turn out. The unhosted ones do not seem to get off the ground. I agree though that there seems to be no tolerence on Princess for homophobia.

Anyone on the Pacific for the Black Sea, the Caribbean for the Birtish Isles or Golden for South America.?

I agree though that there seems to be no tolerence on Princess for homophobia.

My partner and I have slow-danced in the atrium and dining room, celebrated our anniversary at dinner, and walked down the promenade deck hand-in-hand. If anybody minded, they kept their mouths shut, and the staff has always been super-nice to us. But then, our last cruise director was sailing with his boyfriend.

Have often wondered if the venue is chosen by Princess to reflect receipts. On more than one cruise the FOD listing was at a rather inappropriate time and we did not like the location. After the second get together those present chose a different time and a different and more comfortable venue for each subsequent day. It took a couple of days to get the word out to everyone but it all settled down. Our requests to have the listing of place and time in the Patter changed to that of our choice was ignored and each day they listed another bar at another time which we in turn just ignored.

Have often wondered if the venue is chosen by Princess to reflect receipts. On more than one cruise the FOD listing was at a rather inappropriate time and we did not like the location. After the second get together those present chose a different time and a different and more comfortable venue for each subsequent day. It took a couple of days to get the word out to everyone but it all settled down. Our requests to have the listing of place and time in the Patter changed to that of our choice was ignored and each day they listed another bar at another time which we in turn just ignored.

We have sailed on Princess many times and I have to say have felt ultimately comfortable and have never felt as though we were not being supported. That being said... I am under the impression that the Patter is printed for the cruise prior to sailing, not daily, so requesting an adjustment of an item printed in it isn't going to work as the crew has no control over it. You kind of know this because there are announcements on the morning show that adjust patter Info. You aren't being ignored... you just need the serenity prayer. One way I have found to work around this is to go to the venue listed in the patter and tell the bartender what plans have changed and to please pass it along to anyone who may show up not knowing of the change.

Most of the ships have an Adagio lounge up at the back of the ship next to Sabatini's. This is usually where I have seen successful gatherings at 5:15 or so. It isn't usually where other people gather at that time of the day so you generally get the place to yourself. Most cruises that I have been on have the initial meeting there on the first day of the cruise but that is a big generalization so don't quote me on it. I also find that the first meeting is well attended but others are totally hit or miss. Once you've sized up the fellow GLBT passengers, some people feel like they've done it. You have met, you say hi when you see each other, but you may not want to meet in a bar every day with the same people. It's a cruise... nothing is REQUIRED so you do what you want. I have also seen people come to the bar, sit there, act like they are not part of the group, observe the group, then leave. Then... the next day you find out that they are in fact gay and just wanted to check out the scene but not actually participate. Hey, what can you do right?

That being said... there a few tips that I think might be helpful to make your GLBT gatherings.

First off, as with any party, it is what you make it. If someone doesn't take the lead, be the first to say Hi. If someone looks a little lost, ask them if they are looking for the GLBT gathering, the worst thing they could say is "No". We have moved chairs around, made the circle bigger and done all kinds of things to make people feel welcome.

If the gathering is in a bar that is crowded suggest that you all try another venue. Take your drinks and make it a circuit party.

Beads!! Wear some... cruise critic people do... bring some for everyone and hand em out. Granted it's tacky but hey... it cuts the ice.

I have suggested having the meeting in the steam room... I swear it would be better attended... and I'm sorry... more fun. LOL

Bottom line, I think we have to take responsibility for ourselves and not expect cruise lines to turn any cruise into a Gay Cruise just because we can't figure out how to cut the ice with our fellow GLBT members. The ship is providing a space, promotion and recognition. Are we so shy that we can't take it from there? I also think it's important to remember, we are all on vacation. It's going to take a lot to get my lazy behind off my sanctuary chair at sunset to come see how everyone's day was. I'm often busy doing other things, being Gay is just one of them. My real life is full of obligations, going on the cruise is the counterbalance to that life, A GLBT gathering is not going to tip the scale back in the other direction but it is a choice to weigh in the scheme of my vacation day, and it's kind of low on the priority list. ;)

Have a great Cruise no matter what!

Archived