Viking offering new France cruise for 2014

jacksonnh

In June of 2013, we will be cruising with Road Scholar on the Gironde in France, but with additional time in the Dordonge area. This will be on a new "luxury barge"--the Cyrano d'Bergerac. Will let you all know about the river portion. The boat belongs to Croisie Europe--set to sail next year. Vantage tried a similar trip with land tour in the Camargue(sp?), but only lasted one year. We will start with a few days at the Paris Air Show--DH bucket list. Pat

We received this email as well. Apparently VRC will be using a new ship - the Forseti - and we were wondering if this particular ship might be comparable to other ships in the Viking stable. We are new to river cruising and are considering a Verandah A or B and have the usual concerns about noise, foot traffic and sight lines. Any help or guidance would be most helpful.

Thanks - and this really sounds like a great itinerary!

Given that Viking have a strong presence on this board I'm surprised they haven't commented on why some of us can't view this new cruise.

Probably because of where you live. I was told yesterday by Viking that they keep North American and European cruisers on separate ships. Mostly the same routes. The European version may not be out yet.

Jan,

That´s the way it is for cruises on the Rhine, Main, Danube rivers. English speaking passengers and German cruisers are on different ships. The longships are not used for German passengers. Instead they use chartered ships from Lueftner.

But I doubt that they will put two ships on the Gironde/Dordogne rivers. In China they mix the passengers up too.

Unfortunaltey the Viking website is automatically redirecting any requests to the "local" Viking website. So I don´t have any access to the US website (obviously the same for Australians).

steamboats

Jan,

That´s the way it is for cruises on the Rhine, Main, Danube rivers. English speaking passengers and German cruisers are on different ships. The longships are not used for German passengers. Instead they use chartered ships from Lueftner.

But I doubt that they will put two ships on the Gironde/Dordogne rivers. In China they mix the passengers up too.

Unfortunaltey the Viking website is automatically redirecting any requests to the "local" Viking website. So I don´t have any access to the US website (obviously the same for Australians).

steamboats

Thanks for this info. We are brand new to river cruising and this happened to come up when I was booking our first. I actually was disappointed to learn that we would be only with other North Americans as we enjoy European company so these other routes are something to keep in mind. I was warned when I mentioned this that smoking can be much more prevalent on the trips for European travelers. Is this true?

With regards the website redirection, it's easy to fix. If you're using Firefox, go to Tools > Options > Advanced > General and check the box that says something like Warn me if a website tries to redirect. Then you will get a warning box and can ignore the redirection. If you're using IE (I don't), you can google "disable automatic redirection IE" and I suppose they'll have a way to do that too. Mac, beats me; the same strategy is worth a try.

Hi Jarie,

We've been on 6 river cruises and although the majority of passengers were from N. America, we always had other countries represented as well. On our last cruise through S. France there were 12 different countries represented.

With regards the website redirection, it's easy to fix. If you're using Firefox, go to Tools > Options > Advanced > General and check the box that says something like Warn me if a website tries to redirect. Then you will get a warning box and can ignore the redirection. If you're using IE (I don't)

Tried it, worked with other websites but not with the Viking website :o!

steamboats

Jan,

Thanks anyway, it was worth a try!!

I do have the same problem with the NCL website. But I found a way to get on (I only need a direct link to a page which is not the main entry page). But that doesn´t work with Viking either.

steamboats

As mentioned in a previous post, we are doing this itinerary with Road Scholar in June of 2013. Will post and let everyone know all about it. Will be interesting to see how these boats turn in the Gironde to return to Bordeaux. Til then happy sailing.

As an aside Viking is also sailing in Myanmar in 2014--that trip looks fascinatining--contimplating doing a back to back with Avalon on the Mekong then meeting Viking in Bangkok for the Irriwaddy. Pat

As an aside Viking is also sailing in Myanmar in 2014--that trip looks fascinatining--contimplating doing a back to back with Avalon on the Mekong then meeting Viking in Bangkok for the Irriwaddy. Pat

We're looking at this one too......Marsha

Pat, please let us know how it goes! I was at the UK-oriented ACE River Expo in Amsterdam about a month ago and a speaker mentioned that that Bordeaux would be, after Italy's Po, the next "hot" river. So I'm intrigued (by both, by the way).

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

In June of 2013, we will be cruising with Road Scholar on the Gironde in France, but with additional time in the Dordonge area. This will be on a new "luxury barge"--the Cyrano d'Bergerac. Will let you all know about the river portion. The boat belongs to Croisie Europe--set to sail next year. Vantage tried a similar trip with land tour in the Camargue(sp?), but only lasted one year. We will start with a few days at the Paris Air Show--DH bucket list. Pat

Archived