Waterslides: Minimum weight? Anyone stuck?

jnsma

We are currently at a resort with an indoor waterpark. One of the waterslides looks identical to the whip on the Breakaway. From our experience here I have 2 questions.

Is there a minimum weight on the waterslide?

Has anyone gotten stuck or not made it over the rising portion of the slide and have to use the escape hole to get out?

Here they have the same maximum weight and minimum height that I've seen posted for the Breakaway but also a minimum weight (of 80 lbs). My son is over 48 inches (so good there) but not close to 80lbs. He was disappointed that he couldn't go on the slide here and I hope he can do it on the ship. I haven't seen mention of a minimum weight and it is not shown on the pictures of the restrictions sign, so I assume we are OK.

Also, here there is a sign that warns you it is possible that you will not make it over the hill but don't panic and an attendant will come in get you out. :eek: At the lowest point of the slide there is a small opening where you can climb out. I was looking at a youtube of the Breakaway slide and it appeared to have the same opening. I haven’t seen anyone here have to use it but some are going pretty slow over the top of the hill. I'm just curious if anyone has seen the escape hatch used.

Personally, the slide seems scary enough but the possibly of not making it over the hill and sliding back seems worse. On the cruise, we'll be all lathered up with sun screen that we'll be slick enough to make it over.

thanks!

We are currently at a resort with an indoor waterpark. One of the waterslides looks identical to the whip on the Breakaway. From our experience here I have 2 questions.

Is there a minimum weight on the waterslide?

Has anyone gotten stuck or not made it over the rising portion of the slide and have to use the escape hole to get out?

Here they have the same maximum weight and minimum height that I've seen posted for the Breakaway but also a minimum weight (of 80 lbs). My son is over 48 inches (so good there) but not close to 80lbs. He was disappointed that he couldn't go on the slide here and I hope he can do it on the ship. I haven't seen mention of a minimum weight and it is not shown on the pictures of the restrictions sign, so I assume we are OK.

Also, here there is a sign that warns you it is possible that you will not make it over the hill but don't panic and an attendant will come in get you out. :eek: At the lowest point of the slide there is a small opening where you can climb out. I was looking at a youtube of the Breakaway slide and it appeared to have the same opening. I haven’t seen anyone here have to use it but some are going pretty slow over the top of the hill. I'm just curious if anyone has seen the escape hatch used.

Personally, the slide seems scary enough but the possibly of not making it over the hill and sliding back seems worse. On the cruise, we'll be all lathered up with sun screen that we'll be slick enough to make it over.

thanks!

Minimum weight for the Free Fall slide is 99 pounds...and you are weighed before they give you your back board.

Minimum weight for the Free Fall slide is 99 pounds...and you are weighed before they give you your back board.

Thanks for the information, its better to break it to my son before we cruise.

Initially I thought your comment about the back board was a joke, then i remembered seeing people wearing them as they were getting out. I guess everyone wears them. At the resort we were at, they didn't have anything like those.

Thanks for the information, its better to break it to my son before we cruise.

Initially I thought your comment about the back board was a joke, then i remembered seeing people wearing them as they were getting out. I guess everyone wears them. At the resort we were at, they didn't have anything like those.

No joke...xenagurl posted a photo in her thread...

Norwegian-Breakaway-Waterslides-TravelXena-4.jpg

I'm glad to see the minimum weight requirement on the freefall slides. I know my daughter would love to try them but it's more me that is worried she would panic and be scared. I've been telling her all along that she probably will not be big enough to go on those slide so now I can say for sure she will not, height wise she is ok but no where near 99 pounds.

It looks to me there are 3 other slides that are normal type water slides, the open blue and then the tube yellow & red am I correct on this?

Ok, the idea of getting weighed freaks me out! Is the weight displayed or are you discreetly given a yay or nay?

Thanks!

Ok, the idea of getting weighed freaks me out! Is the weight displayed or are you discreetly given a yay or nay?

Thanks!

It's just a standard scale you stand on. Only you and the slide staff can see it. You're also weighed for the ropes course.

It's just a standard scale you stand on. Only you and the slide staff can see it. You're also weighed for the ropes course.

Thanks! I'll have to do the slides and rope course at the beginning of the cruise. I'm scared what the scale may say by the end ;)

Thanks! I'll have to do the slides and rope course at the beginning of the cruise. I'm scared what the scale may say by the end ;)

Haha, I was waiting to get weighed when the woman in front of me was being weighed, she commented she was happy with only gaining a few pounds since the start of the cruise.

• 1 year later...
No joke...xenagurl posted a photo in her thread...

Norwegian-Breakaway-Waterslides-TravelXena-4.jpg

Was on the Breakaway for my kids spring break in march 2014 and they didn't have the back boards then. Glad to see the addition, as it was very tough on my back and left red marks on my spine and shoulder blades for a few hours. Ouch! Only did it once because of that. And yes you have to be at least 99 pounds and they do weigh you on a scale to the previous poster who was inquiring. :)

You're also weighed for the ropes course.

I've done the ropes course several times on both the Bway and Gway and was never weighed (Nov 2013 and March 2014, respectively), nor did I see anybody else being weighed. Is this something new?

I've done the ropes course several times on both the Bway and Gway and was never weighed (Nov 2013 and March 2014, respectively), nor did I see anybody else being weighed. Is this something new?

I'm hoping they don't have to weigh anyone if they are obviously more than the minimum weight of 99 pounds.

Do they weigh EVERYONE?

I am obviously way over 100lbs and the idea of getting weighed freaks me out more than the slide... :eek:

I just got off the breakaway yesterday and rode the slides (SUPER FUN). I don't recall the minimum weight, but I did positively see a younger child 'stuck' and use the escape hatch. He wasn't tiny (maybe 7-9?) but he was thin and I think the heavier you are the less problem you have making it over the second hill (I had absolutely no issue flying over the hill haha).

Getting stuck looked like no big deal at all. The child launched and didn't make it over the hill so he slid back down. The attendant had the child open the escape hatch and climb out. The attendant also had a buzzer to unlock the ladder leading up to the escape hatch. Sounds much more scary than it is. It really was no big deal :).

Also, there were back boards on the launching pads but NO one used them at any time I was on the slide. I wasn't offered one and didn't ask for one.

Obviously the free fall is the biggest rush, but the whip and others are really fun too. I'm a 50 year old kid and loved them!

Yes you can get stuck.

My daughter (16 and between a size 2 and 4) but over the height and weight requirement went on the Freefall slide last week on the Getaway.

She went down, got stuck and the water shot her back up! She said it was terrifying

Yes you can get stuck.

My daughter (16 and between a size 2 and 4) but over the height and weight requirement went on the Freefall slide last week on the Getaway.

She went down, got stuck and the water shot her back up! She said it was terrifying

OMGosh how terrible. The little boy I saw who got stuck was not at all afraid and it didn't look like a big deal from the ground, but I shouldn't have implied that everyone would feel the same way. Please offer your daughter my apologies and I hope she will one day be able to laugh at the experience.

Thanks!

a little off topic, but weight gain on a cruise is unavoidable (according to my nutritionist) mostly because of the salt content in the water-once you get back to regular water that weight will come off

I did not read all replies, so sorry if redundant-

On Getaway-

My sons got stuck

One is just at the minimum , one is 140 or so but skinny!

Rash guard slowed him down

It was no biggie - they didn't get stuck every time

My daughter is also just 100 - she never for stuck .

Younger son stuck with and without the board.