Sydney Airport to Circular Quay

JEMS

How far is it from the Sydney airport to Circular Quay?:D

Thanks,

Ed & Jean

Depends on if your driving or taking the train from the Airport. But I would allow a least 20 minutes. The train leaves every 5 to 10 minutes from both the Domestic and International and cost about $17 per adult and takes 20 minutes. A taxi will depend on traffic and will cost about $35 to $40. But if its peak hour and you get lot traffic the price and time it takes will of course go up.

How far is it from the Sydney airport to Circular Quay?:D

Thanks,

Ed & Jean

Hi Ed & Jean

Have a look at this site:

http://www.taxifare.com.au/rates/australia/sydney/

It will give you an estimate of distance and applicable taxi fare (no tip necessary)

A few times I have used a cab it has cost cloder to $50...which is why I nowadays pre book a Limo for about the same cost. http://www.towncars.com

cheers

As the crow flies it's about 15kms from the airport to the quay.

A train from the airport goes directly to Circular Quay station and takes 30 minutes. It costs $17.20 one way per person.

A taxi will take around about the same time (including queuing time) and will cost about $50 (depending on the time of day and traffic).

Neither route is particularly scenic - most of the train trip is underground, and most of the road trip is on arterial roads & tunnels.

If there are only two of you, the train is the better option.

If there are only two of you, the train is the better option.
I think this depends on exactly where the passengers are going.

On the couple of occasions when I've stayed at the Sydney Harbour Marriott, which is almost directly across the street from Circular Quay station, the train has been fine because I haven't had any problem wheeling my luggage that short distance.

But if a couple have (say) two suitcases each and they actually need to go somewhere that's a longer distance from the station and/or up a hill, the small extra for a taxi that drops them at the door of their destination may well be worth paying.

I concur with Flipper133, a few posts back.

If you are a first-timer that towncar is not a bad option at all.

It is probably a bit more expensive than a normal taxi, but you know the cost up front.

The booking website is asking for destination suburb or post code.

If you want to go anywhere around Circular Quai, put in The Rocks or 2000 NSW. That covers the area and the price quoted was AUD 75.

Last time I was in SYD in November, a taxi ride departing the airport at 07.30 was AUD 68 to the Pullman hotel (not as far as Circular Quai) in a slow moving line.

I would guess these towncar drivers will wait for you at arrivals...

I concur with Flipper133, a few posts back.

If you are a first-timer that towncar is not a bad option at all.

It is probably a bit more expensive than a normal taxi, but you know the cost up front.

The booking website is asking for destination suburb or post code.

If you want to go anywhere around Circular Quai, put in The Rocks or 2000 NSW. That covers the area and the price quoted was AUD 75.

Last time I was in SYD in November, a taxi ride departing the airport at 07.30 was AUD 68 to the Pullman hotel (not as far as Circular Quai) in a slow moving line.

I would guess these towncar drivers will wait for you at arrivals...

I have used Towncars a number of times. Cost from the Syd. Domestic Terminal to the OPT at Circular Quay is $50 (including tip but lets not go there). Cab fare is not a lot different, but with Towncars you get professional service and a driver that can carry a decent conversation (in English !)

When you arrive at the terminal the driver will know, and will send you a text message (make sure you turn your mobile phone on)...its all so easy...no hassles...and you arrive at your cruise ship in style. (Last time we were provided a Black Mercedes :D )

I am not a snob (in fact very far from it) but I would never consider the train, it really can be a hassle... you might save a few bucks ($30 ???) but whats that compared to what you are paying for your cruise.

cheers

Edited by Flipper133

The train is simple and apart from a very rare weekend shutdown (replaced by buses) for maintenance hardly misses a beat. Straight to Circular Quay and a short stroll to the cruise terminal. I catch that train 3 times or so most weeks.

Thank you, everyone, for your help. We actually have a town car booked through Qantas and are going to the Sydney Harbour Marriott the night before our cruise.

Ed & Jean:)

I tried to keep silent on this topic but just had to chime in. We had a very unpleasant experience with Towncars.com in March so I would not recommend this service to anyone. We ended up taking the maxi (van) at the taxi stand and it was easy and hassle free. Much less than what Towncars took from us.

• 4 weeks later...
I tried to keep silent on this topic but just had to chime in. We had a very unpleasant experience with Towncars.com in March so I would not recommend this service to anyone. We ended up taking the maxi (van) at the taxi stand and it was easy and hassle free. Much less than what Towncars took from us.

We are arriving in Sydney from Hawaii on December 20, 2014 on Hawaiian Airlines at 7:20 pm. Can you tell me the procedures at the international side of the airport, customs, etc. Also we have 6 adults and around 10 pieces of luggage. Can we catch a taxi that holds this much luggage? We are staying at the Rendezvous Hotel Sydney. I don't want to pre-book as I'm not familiar with the cell phone procedures cost to use our cell in Australia, as they ask for a phone number. I'd rather find transportation at the airport when we arrive. We will be on the Solstice on December 21, 2014.

Can you tell me the procedures at the international side of the airport, customs, etc. Also we have 6 adults and around 10 pieces of luggage. Can we catch a taxi that holds this much luggage?
On the aircraft, you will get an arrivals form to complete - this deals with the information needed for immigration and customs/quarantine. After you disembark, simply follow the herd towards the immigration desks (which probably involves first having to negotiate your way through the duty free shopping area). When immigration has stamped your passport, you will get your arrivals form back together with your passport - you're unlikely to need your passport again after this, but you will need the arrivals form. After you clear immigration, look for the screens telling you which baggage carousel you need, then go there. Collect your bags, and head for the exit, which will route you through the customs/quarantine checkpoint. Your arrivals form will be inspected, and then you'll be directed to one or other of the relevant queues. Most people will have all their bags X-rayed for quarantine purposes, but if you've declared anything you'll probably get a manual inspection of your bags.

My suspicion is that you'll need two big taxis. Tell the despatcher in the taxi queue how many you are and how many bags you have, and let them do their work to find you two vehicles of the correct size (although you may have to wait for a few minutes until the next one turns up). Personally, unless there appears to be a shortage of taxis (which is unlikely), I would resist any attempt by them to get you into three taxis, which would probably only be for their own convenience in not having to look out for the big vehicles.

On the aircraft, you will get an arrivals form to complete - this deals with the information needed for immigration and customs/quarantine. After you disembark, simply follow the herd towards the immigration desks (which probably involves first having to negotiate your way through the duty free shopping area). When immigration has stamped your passport, you will get your arrivals form back together with your passport - you're unlikely to need your passport again after this, but you will need the arrivals form. After you clear immigration, look for the screens telling you which baggage carousel you need, then go there. Collect your bags, and head for the exit, which will route you through the customs/quarantine checkpoint. Your arrivals form will be inspected, and then you'll be directed to one or other of the relevant queues. Most people will have all their bags X-rayed for quarantine purposes, but if you've declared anything you'll probably get a manual inspection of your bags.

My suspicion is that you'll need two big taxis. Tell the despatcher in the taxi queue how many you are and how many bags you have, and let them do their work to find you two vehicles of the correct size (although you may have to wait for a few minutes until the next one turns up). Personally, unless there appears to be a shortage of taxis (which is unlikely), I would resist any attempt by them to get you into three taxis, which would probably only be for their own convenience in not having to look out for the big vehicles.

Thanks for the information, very helpful. Does anyone know the estimate for the 2 big vehicle taxi's & 10 pieces of luggage. Can I pay with a credit card? Or how much Australian dollars shall I budget for and how much tip? Speaking of tips, do I need to tip the dispatcher also, or only the driver?

Thanks for the information, very helpful. Does anyone know the estimate for the 2 big vehicle taxi's & 10 pieces of luggage. Can I pay with a credit card? Or how much Australian dollars shall I budget for and how much tip? Speaking of tips, do I need to tip the dispatcher also, or only the driver?

You don't need to tip anyone in Australia. There are decent minimum wages and one should expect a decent level of service (but that decent level is not always delivered). Often people will just round up the fare to the next dollar or whatever denomination of bill they have or just leave the change in a restaurant.

Does anyone know the estimate for the 2 big vehicle taxi's & 10 pieces of luggage. Can I pay with a credit card? Or how much Australian dollars shall I budget for and how much tip? Speaking of tips, do I need to tip the dispatcher also, or only the driver?
To your hotel, I'd guess $40-$50 per cab. IIRC, there are no extra charges for extra passengers or for luggage. You can pay by credit card in most cabs, but the fees are a complete rip-off - I refuse to do this.

You definitely don't need to tip the despatcher. And I agree with woodyren that general practice for the driver himself is to round up to the next dollar - although I will usually give him a dollar or two more if he's been enthusiastic about helping to get bags in and out of the cab.

Could you explain a bit what happened as I just booked then to pick us up and deliver us back to the airport . I have been impressed by their customer service this far- there was confusion about which airports and exact tes and they have been more than prompt in answering my questions -as in responses within minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could you explain a bit what happened as I just booked then to pick us up and deliver us back to the airport . I have been impressed by their customer service this far- there was confusion about which airports and exact tes and they have been more than prompt in answering my questions -as in responses within minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was impressed with their customer service too when I booked with them. We arrived in two separate flights and I had requested a time for them to pick us up with plenty of time after the scheduled arrival of the second flight. Flights information were given to them. They changed our pick up time and said they will monitor our flights. When we arrived, no Towncars. With the help of the help desk, using their phone, we called and was told that the driver had left. Claimed that they had waited for an hour and the plane arrived on time. Yes, but they used the arrival of the first flight. When asked about a refund, they said to email them and they will see what they can do. They never reply to our email. Fortunately our credit card company was able to get our money back. This might be just an isolated case because our group arrived in two separate flights and the people on the first flight were to wait for us so we can meet Towncars together. But they were the one who changed my requested time and made their "professional decision" for the pick up.

Of course, we found out how easy it was to just get a maxi there at the airport without all the headaches, and it cost less at the same time.

Pomai: We had 6 in our group and each of us had one big suitcase and then a couple of smaller ones. I don't think we had 10 though. We just used one maxi both ways and we were fine. It was really easy, the dispatcher just told us to wait at a separate line and a van pulled up in just a couple of minutes.

Thanks for the details-we have not paid in advance so if they are not there then we'll just take a taxi. Perhaps I need to read their emails more carefully-wonder what they say about payments. Does sound like an unpleasant situation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...