First time cruise - How much money should we take

KLG1985

Apologies if this kind of question has been asked before... I'm going on my first ever cruise (Royal Caribbean - Independence) in September. We are going round the Eastern Mediterranean for 12 days. My question is, how much cash (Euros) should we take? Certain things we have already paid for excursions, gratuities, drinks packages, spa treatments and a speciality restaurant to celebrate a birthday. Obviously, we will have the Seapass account, but are there any any situations where I will need cash? I'm hoping not to spend too much in port as it it already costing a small fortune! Any advice would be appreciated.

I assume that everything on the ship is on account.

On shore, depending on the port, cash may be needed for taxis, beach charges, markets/ice creams. Restaurants and basically anything touristy that costs more that about €10 can be put on plastic.

We usually start out with €200 and get cash from machines as we need it.

I don't mind taking home up to €100 as there is always a child going on a school trip at some point, but do like to be sensible :)

Make sure that plastic is Visa or Master Card cause AMEX is not as popular. The conversion will be done at billing. Also you can get more at local ATM's which will take your Debit card and give you Euro's. Going to Turkey, that is Lira's as they do not take Euro's. The only funny thing is that most Starbucks take local $$ or USD. The sign on the top of the counter will say so. Ours in Istanbul took Lira or USD. YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...

The rule of thumb I've heard often is "bring twice as much money, and half as much clothing as you think you'll need"!!

Even though I have only been on one cruise, I agree with that! 200-300 should be sufficient...you can choose what extras you spend and how much! Just make sure to keep close track of it at least daily!

We take about $1500...for a week...have never spent it all. Better to have it, than not! ATMs cost you...no sense in paying to get your own money. Bring what you need. If you gamble, bring the cash you are willing to lose...as that is the most likely outcome! Consider it entertainment!

If you are using a credit card to pay for you sea pass account, then bring the cash you think you'll need for "incidentals"...small purchases ashore, room service tips, porter tips, etc....

Your bank will let you redeposit any funds you have left over. You aren't earning any interest of note nowadays.....so take it out for a week...use what you need, and put whatever is left back into the bank!

Edited by cb at sea

The rule of thumb I've heard often is "bring twice as much money, and half as much clothing as you think you'll need"!!

Even though I have only been on one cruise, I agree with that! 200-300 should be sufficient...you can choose what extras you spend and how much! Just make sure to keep close track of it at least daily!

Thanks life_dizzy. Is that 200-300 euros, or pounds worth of euros? Also is that per person or the two of us?

This is the listed itinerary for Independence of the Seas, 12-night cruise with departure date: September 20th - Ports of Call: Southampton, England; Gibraltar, United Kingdom; Cartagena, Spain; Barcelona, Spain; Palma De Mallorca, Spain; Cadiz, Spain; Lisbon, Portugal; Vigo, Spain; Southampton, England

It sounds like you have pre-paid for just about everything that could cost you money while aboard ship. I see no need to bring any cash for onboard expenses. The exceptions being cash tips for room service or any additional cash tips you might give at the end of the cruise to select crew members for really outstanding service.

Most of us Yanks do not have a frame of reference for what things cost in Europe. If we were to suggest $100 USD that is roughly 60 Pounds (75 Euros). Your expenses ashore could include: local transportation, souvenirs and any food or beverages you buy. You indicated that you have pre-paid for excursions so I don’t know how many ports you have where you will be doing things on your own. Additionally, I know tipping isn’t a common thing in the UK culture but we Yanks would expect to be asked to tip somebody at the end of most excursions. This may or may not be a consideration for your trip.

All of the ports you will visit are in EU countries. Why not start with 150 Euros per person and draw out additional funds, as needed, from ATM’s ashore during the trip. (Note: There may be an ATM aboard ship but the fees charged are pretty high and any currency exchange done aboard ship would not be very favorable.)

Enjoy!

Thanks life_dizzy. Is that 200-300 euros, or pounds worth of euros? Also is that per person or the two of us?

I would say at least 200 Euros per person for a 12 day trip. Sorry, I should have specified per person. Since you have pre-paid for a lot of the things, that helps you to not hopefully need much extra. Although you already pre-paid gratuities, some extra tips are nice here and there, if not expected (baggage handling, etc).

Also, if you think you will do a lot of exploring on your own outside of the excursions you already paid for, you might want to bring extra. Research ports on here or elsewhere on the internet, as many people will post how much it costs to get to a certain place.

We take about $1500...for a week...have never spent it all. Better to have it, than not! ATMs cost you...no sense in paying to get your own money. Bring what you need. If you gamble, bring the cash you are willing to lose...as that is the most likely outcome! Consider it entertainment!

If you are using a credit card to pay for you sea pass account, then bring the cash you think you'll need for "incidentals"...small purchases ashore, room service tips, porter tips, etc....

Your bank will let you redeposit any funds you have left over. You aren't earning any interest of note nowadays.....so take it out for a week...use what you need, and put whatever is left back into the bank!

I figure if I take less with me, then I will watch my spending more and spend less :p

Apologies if this kind of question has been asked before... I'm going on my first ever cruise (Royal Caribbean - Independence) in September. We are going round the Eastern Mediterranean for 12 days. My question is, how much cash (Euros) should we take? Certain things we have already paid for excursions, gratuities, drinks packages, spa treatments and a speciality restaurant to celebrate a birthday. Obviously, we will have the Seapass account, but are there any any situations where I will need cash? I'm hoping not to spend too much in port as it it already costing a small fortune! Any advice would be appreciated.

I don't carry a lot of cash on port days, just what you feel what you would spend.

Cash for gratuity's??

• 2 weeks later...