Minimizing Seasickness for Alaska Cruise

flip side of fifty

Due to severe nausea when flying or as a passenger in a car, my husband has never joined me on a cruise - but says he will next year for Alaska. In planning for this momentous occasion I would like to ask for all the assistance I can from those who have been there. We are planning a cruise and lodge stay (Princess).

I have done some research: leaving from Vancouver seems better than Seattle, and we would certainly do the inside passage. He will have anti-nausea meds and ginger, and it seems as though the water can be rough in September so we would plan on probably June. But:

I have had friends say an inside room is better, and some say being able to see out and to have fresh air is better....Some people say the band is better and some say patch. Would it be better to sail northbound or southbound (or does it not matter).

Any suggestions?

NB versus SB won't impact seasickness.

Inside vs window, hmmmm. I think that's a personal thing. If I'm feeling seasick, watching the constant movement of the waves and horizon would worsen the situation so I'd prefer an inside cabin. When I'm seasick, i want to be walking around OR take dramamine and go to sleep. Your husband might not feel that way though.

And yes, definitely go earlier than later. Sept carries a higher risk of a fall storm and they can be brutal. Having said that, if you look at the 2014 Rrip Report List there were 3 or 4 reports that experienced a dicey day during a May and early June cruise.

If he has motion sickness you might want to consider a car and DIY for the land portion. OR DIY via the Alaska Railroad. He probably wouldnt do well in a bus for long periods.

Edited by mapleleaves

My daughter suffered from seasickness the first time I took her on a cruise, but in her case, we found that it was primarily when she was in areas of the ship where she couldn't see the horizon, such as the theater. As long as she avoided those areas, the over-the-counter seasick pills kept it under control.

I suspect that the dissonance between the physical feeling of movement and the apparent lack of movement that she could see in the theater aggravated the motion sickness. But I don't know if that's common to people who suffer from motion sickness or if it was just her experience.

edited to add: On five Alaska cruises, we've never had more than one rocky day per cruise. Most of the time, I can barely feel any motion on the ship. I like "lively" seas myself, but I know it's unpleasant for many folks.

Edited by JDinWA

but in her case, we found that it was primarily when she was in areas of the ship where she couldn't see the horizon, such as the theater. As long as she avoided those areas, the over-the-counter seasick pills kept it under control.

well, you just proved my point .... it's an indivisual thing. I'm the opposite of your daughter. I do better when I CAN'T see the horizon !

I'm prone to motion sickness. We had calm seas to Alaska but there are a couple of places where the ship enters open seas and I felt a little queasy for a short period of time. The meds knock me out. I'll have to try ginger some day.

My BF is one of the 3-4% of populace that suffers from the inner ear problem. A visit to your husbands Dr. for a patch perscription will take care of problem. Go to a big active pharmacy for fresh ones; there is a difference. will solve his seasick problem

My BF is one of the 3-4% of populace that suffers from the inner ear problem. A visit to your husbands Dr. for a patch perscription will take care of problem. Go to a big active pharmacy for fresh ones; there is a difference.

......I have done some research: leaving from Vancouver seems better than Seattle, and we would certainly do the inside passage. He will have anti-nausea meds and ginger, and it seems as though the water can be rough in September so we would plan on probably June. But:

I have had friends say an inside room is better, and some say being able to see out and to have fresh air is better....Some people say the band is better and some say patch. Would it be better to sail northbound or southbound (or does it not matter).

Any suggestions?

The patch is medicinal. Seabands are not.

Some people swear by the patch, while others have had very bad reactions to them.

If wanting to try the patch and if you take any other medications, first check with your doctor to be sure there will be no harmful interactions. Also, try it out before starting on the cruise so it won't spoil your vacation if it causes problems for you.

With the sea bands, the trick is to get the little ball in the right spot on the inside of your wrist, which can vary slightly from one person to another. Anyone can use sea bands.

Ginger is fine for most people, but again should not be used with some medical conditions or if taking certain medications.

Green apples work well for many, who can ward off seasickness with just green apples and dry soda crackers.

Over the counter meclizine (generic for Bonine) is given out free at guest relations on many cruise ships and works well for many passengers.

There is a product called MotionEaze that is a liquid you dab on behind the earlobes.

I have never tried it myself so cannot comment on its effectiveness one way or another.

But if you should try it, please report back and let us know how it worked for you.

As for choosing a cabin location, low and center is where you feel the motion the least.

But I would avoid an inside cabin and go for a balcony as standard advice is that you should be able to look out at the horizon to help avoid seasickness.

If starting to feel at all queasy, fresh air is helpful.

If taking a one-way Alaska cruise northbound or southbound, there is the potential for encountering some rough seas crossing the Gulf of Alaska, so you may prefer to start out by taking a round trip Vancouver cruise instead to avoid that area.

Edited by fleckle

Due to severe nausea when flying or as a passenger in a car, my husband has never joined me on a cruise - but says he will next year for Alaska. In planning for this momentous occasion I would like to ask for all the assistance I can from those who have been there. We are planning a cruise and lodge stay (Princess).

I have done some research: leaving from Vancouver seems better than Seattle, and we would certainly do the inside passage. He will have anti-nausea meds and ginger, and it seems as though the water can be rough in September so we would plan on probably June. But:

Any suggestions?

Looking at the horizon helps alot of people including me if they are seasick.Sometimes it is enough to look through a window but sometimes fresh air is needed too.

.....I have had friends say an inside room is better, and some say being able to see out and to have fresh air is better....
If in doubt as to which would be better for you, by all means get a balcony.

If you have a balcony and decide you don't want to look out at the horizon, you can always close the draperies, but if you have an inside cabin, you can't knock out a wall to get fresh air or a view of the horizon. ;)

In any case, it is very helpful and convenient to have the balcony right there so you can just open the door and step right out for fresh air in privacy, any hour of the day or night regardless of how you are dressed or how horrible you may look and feel.

If you are in an inside cabin and want fresh air, you first need to get dressed appropriately to be seen in public and then go staggering out to a public deck at a time when you are feeling miserable and don't want to be seen by anyone else.

Edited by fleckle

My daughter is very prone to motion sickness and we are going to Alaska in less than 2 weeks.

She got the patches from her Dr....then she noticed/realized they have adhesive. She is allergic bandage adhesives. :rolleyes:

We bought the bands...crossing fingers they work for her.

Will be looking for some of the "MotionEaze".

The patch is medicinal. Seabands are not.

Some people swear by the patch, while others have had very bad reactions to them.

If wanting to try the patch and if you take any other medications, first check with your doctor to be sure there will be no harmful interactions. Also, try it out before starting on the cruise so it won't spoil your vacation if it causes problems for you.

With the sea bands, the trick is to get the little ball in the right spot on the inside of your wrist, which can vary slightly from one person to another. Anyone can use sea bands.

Ginger is fine for most people, but again should not be used with some medical conditions or if taking certain medications.

Green apples work well for many, who can ward off seasickness with just green apples and dry soda crackers.

Over the counter meclizine (generic for Bonine) is given out free at guest relations on many cruise ships and works well for many passengers.

There is a product called MotionEaze that is a liquid you dab on behind the earlobes.

I have never tried it myself so cannot comment on its effectiveness one way or another.

But if you should try it, please report back and let us know how it worked for you.

As for choosing a cabin location, low and center is where you feel the motion the least.

But I would avoid an inside cabin and go for a balcony as standard advice is that you should be able to look out at the horizon to help avoid seasickness.

If starting to feel at all queasy, fresh air is helpful.

If taking a one-way Alaska cruise northbound or southbound, there is the potential for encountering some rough seas crossing the Gulf of Alaska, so you may prefer to start out by taking a round trip Vancouver cruise instead to avoid that area.

another vote here for the sea-bands. I've used them, and on our last cruise, loaned them to my aunt. She is very susceptible to motion sickness, the bands helped her immensely, she started feeling queasy the first night, I offered my bands (fortunately I didn't seem to need them) and she didn't take em off the whole trip.

I'm also one of those who don't do well inside. I've got to be able to get at least a glimpse of the horizon to keep the queasy down. My last 3 cruises (in the Caribbean) the only time I started to get sick was in the showroom in the evenings. don't know if it was because of the forward location, or because of the curtain swaying, or a combination of both.

Alaska is usually (not always) smooth as glass, I love those trips. Crossing Queen Charlotte sound is usually the only place I can feel the ship movement when we do Alaska. (unless we depart out of Seattle, then all bets are off)

fwiw the sea-bands may help him with the car, or flights too. grab a pair next time you go shopping, and try them out.

Hope you and your Hubby find what works best for you, and have a wonderful trip. You're going to LOVE Alaska.

Edited by tutuwahineLV

another vote here for the sea-bands.

fwiw the sea-bands may help him with the car, or flights too. grab a pair next time you go shopping, and try them out.

Hope you and your Hubby find what works best for you, and have a wonderful trip. You're going to LOVE Alaska.

Another vote for sea-bands for embarkation day while my body is getting adjusted. It is my experience that awakening on the first day, my body had adjusted and I no longer needed them. Of course walking with my feet a bit wider apart during the cruise really helped.

Another vote for sea-bands for embarkation day while my body is getting adjusted. It is my experience that awakening on the first day, my body had adjusted and I no longer needed them. Of course walking with my feet a bit wider apart during the cruise really helped.
Just thought of one more thing to mention about the seabands.

My first seabands were the stretchy elastic kind (one size fits all) which meant that they put more pressure on thick wrists and less pressure on thin wrists. Also that they stretched out more with repeated use.

The last time I bought seabands, they had adjustable velcro closures.

I thought that type was a lot better as you can adjust the pressure to suit yourself, regardless of wrist size.

I do a 3-prong approach....i too get seasick and this has been working for me: sea bands from day 1 and only take them off for showers :) 2) ginger....take it off / on during the day and 3)....I do bonine (think the same as dramaine)...I take that "when needed"....and always before I board to get into my system....If i know it will be extra bumpy, i take them....

Soooooo ... this is pretty much my regiment and it has been working like a charm :D:D

I too suffer from motion sickness due to an inner ear problem. I have found on previous cruises that having a cabin in the middle of the boat helps. Also, I need at the very least a room with a window, balcony would be a plus. Being able to get fresh air at any time day or night would be very helpful. Like others said, the worst time for me is at night in the lounges or during shows when you can't see out a window, I seem to feel the motion much more at these times. Also when first leaving the dock. I typically take dramamine (the less drowsy formula) an hour or two before we are set to leave the dock. Typically by day 2 my body has adjusted and then I take it on an as needed basis. It does make you drowsy though. We are leaving in a week for our first Alaska cruise and I am going to try ginger gum this time and then use the dramamine as a backup. I will report back when we finish our trip to let you know how it worked for me. We will be in a midship minisuite (our first balcony ever!) so I will let you know how that is as far as motion.

Be very CAUTIOUS about using the patch. I used the patch when cruising across the Drake Passage to Antarctica on Crystal's Holiday Cruise last year. Fortunately, we did not have horrendous seas, but after reading so much about the Drake Passage being the roughest waters on the planet, I came armed with lots of patches. I've used the patch previously with no problems. This time, however, I developed a rash at the site of the patch behind my ear. I went to the ship's doctor for another reason, and while I was there, I asked him about the rash. He warned me never to wear the patch again. Let me emphasize that this is not an alarmist type of doctor - very conservative, sensible and calm. He explained that the reason Crystal does not distribute the patch to passengers is because of the potential side effects. The effects can (and have) caused the passenger to become "delirious and not know where he/she is." These are his words, not mine. He said that they have even had to put passengers off at the next port to go home because the effect is so bad. He mentioned that this happens more with elderly passengers, but he has seen it happen to passengers of all ages. I, for one, will never use the patch again. I'm strictly a ginger/band/Dramamine girl now. Of course you will do what you feel is best for you, but I just couldn't pass this thread by without sharing my negative experience with the patch. Have a great cruise!

I too suffer from motion sickness very easily. I take a two prong approach. I use non-drowsy dramamine and start taking them the day before we sail. Then I take them the day we sail and the next day. If seas are fairly calm then I switch to ginger pills and only use the dramamine on an "as needed" basis. As others have said, the lounges, theatre and even dining rooms seem to be the worst for seasickness to come on. I have to have a balcony cabin and be able to see outside. On occasion I've needed the fresh air the balcony provided. I would NEVER cruise in an inside cabin for this reason.

Also, this will be our 9th cruise and I think my body knows now what to expect. I've never gotten as sick again as I did on our first cruise. Maybe it's because I've found a way to keep it at bay for the most part.

Good luck, I'm sure you're husband will find what works best for him.

Be very CAUTIOUS about using the patch. I used the patch when cruising across the Drake Passage to Antarctica on Crystal's Holiday Cruise last year. Fortunately, we did not have horrendous seas, but after reading so much about the Drake Passage being the roughest waters on the planet, I came armed with lots of patches. I've used the patch previously with no problems. This time, however, I developed a rash at the site of the patch behind my ear. I went to the ship's doctor for another reason, and while I was there, I asked him about the rash. He warned me never to wear the patch again.
I only tried it once and got blurred vision. That was enough for me.

The ship's doctor also told me to take it off immediately and never to wear it again.

Other possible side effects are listed here

Transderm Scop (Scopolamine) Patient Information: Side Effects and Drug Images at RxList

Ginger Ale is available on the ship as it is well known for soothing an upset tummy. Also, there are ginger chewy candies available at Trader Joe's, that even if you don't have an upset tummy, the ginger chews are yummy to chew on.

My Mom gets a tiny case of nausea most every time, but ginger in some form helps a lot, as well as fresh air.

Also, it seems the higher she is on the ship the less nauseated she gets. I know that is opposite to many others experiences.

If you want to go the natural route, you can visit a health food store and ask what they have available - tell them you're going on a curie They will have something for you.

Good luck and here's to zero seasickness along with calm seas!

I used the patch one time in the Caribbean. My eyes dilated and stayed that way for three days after the cruise. I won't be using them again. I usually take one non-drowsy Bonine after boarding on the first day and then as needed. Most of the time now I never take another one. I guess my body finally got used to cruising. I may have to take something before the bus trip from Anchorage to Seward though unless I can get the very front seat.

I was on a Pacific Coastal cruise last year and was doing great until we ran into some 15-20 foot swells. It hit me so fast that I made an early night of it! I could barely read the directions for the wrist bands, popped Bonine, and got some fresh ginger (which was a first for me) and climbed into bed! I continued with the bands and Bonine throughout the cruise with great results. I'm one of those where fresh air helps as well.

This year I did more research and plan to be more proactive rather than reactive. Quite a few posters have mentioned how much rougher the Seattle route is than the Vancouver route. (We chose Seattle so DD can knock 2 states off her Bucket List!) I'll start with the Bonine and bands right away. I also purchased some Queasy Beads to wear on the formal nights. I bought them online and they're available in quite a few color combinations. I'll find out shortly if they work as well as the other bands.

I was on a Pacific Coastal cruise last year and was doing great until we ran into some 15-20 foot swells. It hit me so fast that I made an early night of it! I could barely read the directions for the wrist bands, popped Bonine, and got some fresh ginger (which was a first for me) and climbed into bed! I continued with the bands and Bonine throughout the cruise with great results. I'm one of those where fresh air helps as well.

This year I did more research and plan to be more proactive rather than reactive. Quite a few posters have mentioned how much rougher the Seattle route is than the Vancouver route. (We chose Seattle so DD can knock 2 states off her Bucket List!) I'll start with the Bonine and bands right away. I also purchased some Queasy Beads to wear on the formal nights. I bought them online and they're available in quite a few color combinations. I'll find out shortly if they work as well as the other bands.

Please let me know when you get back !!

Thanks!

I am JUST home from northbound Radiance. not an ounce of rocking for 6.5 days but around 3:00 on the last day (going from Hubbard Glacier to Seward) we got nailed. I was very very dizzy. took 2 Bonine at that point and not sure if it helped but I could do nothing but try to fall asleep to make the time pass. now that I'm home still feeling the dizziness. be advised!

I am JUST home from northbound Radiance. not an ounce of rocking for 6.5 days but around 3:00 on the last day (going from Hubbard Glacier to Seward) we got nailed. I was very very dizzy. took 2 Bonine at that point and not sure if it helped but I could do nothing but try to fall asleep to make the time pass. now that I'm home still feeling the dizziness. be advised!
Yes indeed. You are certainly not the first or the last.

A lot of unsuspecting passengers do fine on the one-way cruises until they hit that Gulf of Alaska stretch.

That was why I cautioned people about it back in post #7,

........If taking a one-way Alaska cruise northbound or southbound, there is the potential for encountering some rough seas crossing the Gulf of Alaska, so you may prefer to start out by taking a round trip Vancouver cruise instead to avoid that area.

But apparently too late to do you any good.

I remember a particularly bad crossing of the gulf one year when very few passengers even showed up for dinner in the dining room that night.

On the other hand, there are times when it is no problem at all.

So even passengers who have taken the northbound or southbound cruise a number of times previously and felt fine can be unprepared and surprised when they are the ones who unexpectedly get hit.

Hope you are feeling better.

Edited by fleckle