Lobster

Merchant Mariner

It's lobster tails, served in Main Dining Room almost always on the last formal night of the cruise. You can request an additional serving if one is not enough for you.

We are from New England and enjoy our Maine hardshell lobsters so almost never order the ship's lobster but I believe it comes served with a small filet mignon..... surf and turf.

My last 3 ruises they looked like jumbo shrimp. :rolleyes:

Isn't that an oxymoron?:confused:

That's exactly what I was thinking but whenever I mention it people jump in saying theirs was huge. I haven't seen a huge lobster tail on HAL since 1984.

Lobster tail is available on the Pinnacle Grill menu, too.

In the MDR, I usually order two surf, no turf on the formal night they serve surf n turf.

I ordered the lobster in the Pinnacle one time and I wasn't impressed. It was bigger but there was just something I didn't care for. The steaks can't be beat in there.

Never thought about ordering all surf and no turf. I might do that next time.

I ordered the lobster in the Pinnacle one time and I wasn't impressed. It was bigger but there was just something I didn't care for. The steaks can't be beat in there.

Never thought about ordering all surf and no turf. I might do that next time.

One of our friends and I both ordered the lobster tail in the PG the first time we went. It was gross, unappealing, overcooked, and slathered with something that tasted like Hy's Steak Salt. Ugh. DH's steak diane was outstanding, though, so we've been back. The last time we went my friend ordered the lobster and she enjoyed it. I have been sticking with the steak diane :)

I recently had a new addition to the menu, it was a half lobster and the head was stuffed with Lobster thermador (sp) and the tail was solid lobster(still a bit chewy)

Overall I found that it was far better then the frozen lobster tails HAL serve.

I had this too on the Statendam in Oct.09. I thought it was pretty good but the lobster put up with a bit of a fight to free the contents:D.

Looking forward to my freshly caught and cooked Bay of Fundy hard shell lobster tonight at the house party we are going to. Crackers and tools are already set aside so I won't forget to take them. ("Bring your own" at a lobster party has a different connotation.:D)

Bay of Fundy lobster----10+

Cruise ship lobster-----Ho-hum at best.

Looking forward to my freshly caught and cooked Bay of Fundy hard shell lobster tonight at the house party we are going to. Crackers and tools are already set aside so I won't forget to take them. ("Bring your own" at a lobster party has a different connotation.:D)

Bay of Fundy lobster----10+

Cruise ship lobster-----Ho-hum at best.

Now that is my kind of party!!!

'Sapper'--- Lobsters are at an unbelievably low price here now, aren't they! DW and I had 1 lobster each last night ( 11 lbs total !!). We cooked them ourselves so they were not overcooked and not tough and stringy as sometimes happens with the larger ones !! :)

It's hard to beat Bay of Fundy late season lobsters !! :cool:

Happy New Year!

Gord

On cruises of more than 21 days we have found lobster in the Lido on the nights it is served in the MDR. This started about two years ago I think.

It can always be ordered to the cabin if it is being served in the MDR. I have found the tails in the PG to be a bit larger than the ones in the MDR however, they all seem a bit chewy to me.

we usually get them at The Palm and select 4-5 lb and share. Not tough at all and often we eat the claws and body and take home the tail. Nothing like lobster on a ship. I've had some good ones recently on Princess and I'm making S&T tonight for New Years eve w/ 6 oz warm water tails from Omaha Steak. Grilling them outside w/ filets. Received truffle butter for xmas so will use that for steak and maybe both. We have several bottles of real French champagne for the evening. I hope 3 bottles for 4 people will be enough.

'Sapper'--- Lobsters are at an unbelievably low price here now' date=' aren't they! DW and I had 1 lobster each last night ( 11 lbs total !!). We cooked them ourselves so they were not overcooked and not tough and stringy as sometimes happens with the larger ones !! :)

It's hard to beat Bay of Fundy late season lobsters !! :cool:

Happy New Year!

Gord[/quote']

Oh my word, Gord.....

You had 5 1/2 pound lobsters!!! :eek: Now that is a lobster dinner!!! You are so right that a large lobster is not necessarily tough. Usually people are unclear how long to cook them and they wreck what should have been a sweet and tender lobster.

The largest DH has finished is when I steamed him a 3 1/2 pounder. He struggled but sure did enjoy it. :D

My lobster pound doesn't ever have many 5 pounders but can always get them for anyone who wants them. I think it would be about $15 per pound for such a big one.

When I get 2 - 3 pound lobsters, I usually pay $10 per pound to cook myself. They charge about $2 more if they cook them.

Hope you have a Very Happy, Healthy New Year and lots of luscious lobsters and great cruises in the coming year.

Archived