Discover Scuba St.Thomas

Bettyboop66

My DH and I are going on the Regal Princess in December, and are thinking about the Discover Scuba excursion in St. Thomas. Looking for any opinions of this excursion if anyone has done it. Thanks

I have done it, 6 years ago and it inspired me to get my full certification in 2013, We enjoyed it very much.

Thanks so much, I'm pretty sure we are going to give it a try.

Please come back and let me know how it went.

There were about 10 of us which separated into two groups, we went to Turtle island, dove down about 40 feet, lots of interesting coral and fish,

I sure will!!!

My experience was a good one, as I said, it inspired me to get certified. There was one odd thing about it. The cruise line usually screens active excursions to make sure it isn't to strenuous for some people. We had one lady in our group who couldn't swim! Why do you take a scuba class if you can't swim? I guess she wanted to see what was down there.

My experience was a good one, as I said, it inspired me to get certified. There was one odd thing about it. The cruise line usually screens active excursions to make sure it isn't to strenuous for some people. We had one lady in our group who couldn't swim! Why do you take a scuba class if you can't swim? I guess she wanted to see what was down there.

Bill,

I think now the cruise lines are indicating the ability to swim as a pre-requisite for discover scuba and snorkeling excursions. It seems a little like telling someone to take the soup out of the can before eating it; but...

As a scuba instructor, I used to be surprised by how many people would ask if they had to be able to swim, in order to scuba dive. I'm no longer surprised by the question; but still a little surprised people would consider a sport where the idea is to be in the ocean, a considerable distance off shore, and not think swimming would be required.

Harris

Denver, CO

All I can say is WOW!!

One thing to consider - you'll be asked to complete this medical questionnaire before your Discover Scuba class. If you answer Yes to any of the questions you may be medically disqualified. Since I'm over 45 and I take a statin to control my cholesterol level I ask my doctor to complete the medical qualification attached to that questionnaire during my annual physical so there won't be any issues with a dive operator or instructor.

One thing to consider - you'll be asked to complete this medical questionnaire before your Discover Scuba class. If you answer Yes to any of the questions you may be medically disqualified. Since I'm over 45 and I take a statin to control my cholesterol level I ask my doctor to complete the medical qualification attached to that questionnaire during my annual physical so there won't be any issues with a dive operator or instructor.

Thanks for this, we should be good to go:D