Project Runway?

BlueHerons

I've thought she's been the best designer but I was disappointed in her collection. Will be interesting to see how all four ramp it up for the runway show. As others have said, I didn't miss the over the top drama of other seasons.

Guess I'm and odd duck for liking Roberi's designs. I am a big fan of his use of color and shine -- it seems more exciting and modern than Laurence's mostly cream palette and 80's style -- a huge disappointment for me, as I had high hopes for Laurence!

Rik's stuff is just ... meh, IMO. Very junior, too all-over-the-place.

I think Erin is depending too much on the fabrics and embellishments she has created, and not enough on design -- I think Erin has always had more self-confidence than her work justified. We'll see if it's enough.

I think Erin's designs, at least some of them, come closest to innovative, but Roberi's looks "pop" and I think most anyone would want to wear them. And I applaud him for standing his ground on the "sex-it-up" advice. Again, we'll see if his perspective works for him in the end!

I thought Roberi had it. Disappointed that Erin won -- she is talented, yes, but I'm not sure her talent has really matured enough yet. A lot of her designs looked sort of one-dimensional, like clothing for paper dolls. I see Roberi's designs as being interesting and appealing to a lot of ages/groups.

It's interesting that the judges often talk a lot about the value of collections with lots of mix and match separates. Roberi's collection had that in spades -- yet no one brought it up.

I thought Roberi had it. Disappointed that Erin won -- she is talented, yes, but I'm not sure her talent has really matured enough yet. A lot of her designs looked sort of one-dimensional, like clothing for paper dolls. I see Roberi's designs as being interesting and appealing to a lot of ages/groups.

It's interesting that the judges often talk a lot about the value of collections with lots of mix and match separates. Roberi's collection had that in spades -- yet no one brought it up.

I liked both of their collections. I would have been happy either way. I think she is very creative but he is also in a different type of way. I was so disappointed with Laurents! I actually thought hers was the worst (boring, no excitement at all)altho I too loved that first jumpsuit.

I thought Roberi had it in the bag. To me, his collection was much more mature and cohesive than Erin's. I liked Laurence's collection, but it really was more "ready-to-wear". Since I don't even remember Rik's collection today, I guess that's it about his...not memorable.

I didn't hate any of the collections, but Erin's, while interesting, was my least favorite.

I agree with the several posters who wanted Roberi's collection to have been rewarded with the win. This season did not really produce a lot of stand-out designs, IMO -- certainly not consistently. I though Laurence, throughout the season, made the coolest, most polished pieces, and I had high hopes for her; I thought she had the kind of steady personality and drive that would give her the best chance of really making something of her brand if she won. I, like the judges, was very disappointed with her runway collection. I was the opposite of sharp and slick -- who designed that stuff???

I, like other posters, felt Erin's collection looked very young, something that the judges ordinarily criticize. But in spite of the "junior" feel of her final collection, I do think she showed more creativity than the others -- problem is, I thought her looks were mostly "artsy-craftsy" rather than creative in a mature way. (And I was not happy at all to see the iridescent pink skirt she seemed to have added to her runway collection, as it appeared she ripped it off from Roberi!)

Roberi's collection, I thought, was the most interesting, consistent, and mature, though I think I understand why the judges found it somewhat underwhelming. It didn't have that "wow" factor.

It's certainly been and interesting season, with its noteworthy lack of personality drama.

Hmmmm.... hate to think that for there to be a really memorable finale there has to be high drama during the season -- for the sake of future seasons, I hope not!!!

Not surprised that Eric won....she seemed to have been favored all season, but I don't think she was the best designer.....her designs were very young looking and a bit too trendy. I think the other three did a much better job. Would love Laurance to do a leather piece for me....she is flawless in her exicution!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

Are you all following project runway jr? I am over A'kai. Too whiney. Surprised that Tim Gunn saved him.

OMG, me too! I haven't seen anything from him, especially in his behavior, that would warrant keeping him there!

I know he's very young, compared to most of the other contestants (is he the youngest?), but the maturity difference between last year's winner Maya (who was, IIRC, the youngest) and A'kai is day and night!

Sorry to say it, but he's almost like a bad imitation of the character Steve Urkel!

Edited by srlafleur

Hadn't thought of that, but a Steve Urkel is right on. [emoji45] you are also right about Maya being 180 degrees from A'kai. I'm wondering why they gave him a spot on the show, considering there must have been many more deserving teens who are yelling at the tv now. [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Well, he went home, poor little guy. Hopefully, the sympathy factor wasn't why they kept him so long in the first place.

I agreed with the winner. I thought it was a stunning look, overall. I didn't see any of the negatives that the judges mentioned, at all.

I thought they really didn't give them enough time this week, considering the challenge with the lights and all. It seemed even more rushed than normal. Some of those kids must be speed-demon sewers! I couldn't make half of what they do in that amount of time, not even with a pattern and instructions!

• 4 months later...
OMG, me too! I haven't seen anything from him, especially in his behavior, that would warrant keeping him there!

I know he's very young, compared to most of the other contestants (is he the youngest?), but the maturity difference between last year's winner Maya (who was, IIRC, the youngest) and A'kai is day and night!

Sorry to say it, but he's almost like a bad imitation of the character Steve Urkel!

In all, I noticed that there is less whining, crying, and fussing between the participants on P.R. Junior, than on the "adult," version.

Hi All,

It has been a long stretch between the last Project Runway production has been on. Isn't it time for an All Stars show, or the next season of the Main P.R.? I'm looking forward to more.

It has seemed like forever even though it has only been five months. I keep looking to find anything about the next season but with no luck so far. :mad:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It has seemed to me that it is the "real woman's body" (as we tend to call it) -- not only the non-stick-figure body, but the often non-perfectly-proportioned body, at what would ordinarily be called "average" or "normal" weight, that the designers have struggled with the most. So yes, it will be very interesting to see how they deal with "plus-size" (what we would probably call "average" size) models, who, though they aren't stick figures, will likely have very well-proportioned bodies. We will see if that makes it easier for the designers to deal with than the non-model clients for whom they have tried (and often spectacularly failed at) designing for.

The other factor that I think plays into this is that most often the challenge set for the designers when working with non-model clients was to design something useful/practical for that person's life. "Regular" people don't need super high-fashion, "runway" designs in their real lives, and PR seems to emphasize SO MUCH that designs be "something we've never seen before" that it may be impossible to please both client and judges. And I have found the judges to be inconsistent season to season (even challenge to challenge) in how much "pleasing the client" counts, vs creating something unique. Not only that, there is huge inconsistency in the value of creating a flattering outfit vs one that is "wearable." So often the term "wearable" is a death sentence for the design -- as if the garment were too normal, too easily found at a department store, and therefore not what the PR judges are looking for, even if it were exactly what the client might be happy with -- which as I recall, the "real world" designs rarely were! This season, even though some models may be plus size, they are still models, so for them, the designers are still designing garments to be displayed on runways, not necessarily garments which would ever be worn in any aspect of "real life" beyond, say, a high-fashion magazine spread or a red carpet event. In all events, should be an interesting season!