Eclipse British Isles and French Open June 2017 review (long with photos)

texasgirl29

Kevin dropped us off and recommended some pubs. We ate at Kitty O Se's pub which was very busy. David had Irish stew, rachel and Paul had fish and chips and I had cottage pie with a mini bucket o chips. I think I had the best one.

88dad6c4fe02bfff29bf2682113ead65.jpg

5258a5bedd7aa2f8ee203ad0f38f85fd.jpg

Afterwards we had a ice cream and walked through the colorful town back to our pick up place.

13f9838cbaddb603b5fe5bb99955830d.jpg

4cfd3155a522da04c2056911565539fb.jpg

81a47dfee37dfc39d85f3ec7dd4946d7.jpg

6932681168f97b9bc47b4cab92b4e149.jpg

Kevin drove mostly along the highway going back and played some female Irish singers. He also talked about Gaelic words and their meanings.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Kevin made a quick (15 minute) stop in Cobh so we could go inside the cathedral. Incredible craftsmanship! I loved the celtic patterns in the mosaic floor tiles.

322d2b2466a2bffcd245bb94c0e0c535.jpg

97cf7fd7e47c36285baac0694e4b510f.jpg

8c61eabdb7ff1aba0426415730b6c94b.jpg

2c620f3a1b71f46f768c2066d35dbf59.jpg

43d9c75be64fdcf7f5d375100d05d41c.jpg

d2d221f09ba4738c842ffdc3092b4e00.jpg

Beautiful church. Kevin maneuvered the bus down the narrow winding streets with awesome skill back to the ship.

Back on board we watched boats in the blue water next to our ship until time to sail away at 5:00. We wore our cruise t-shirts to dinner and no one said anything other than compliments. We celebrated Brians 49th birthday with a special gluten free cake -- essentially chocolate covered rice crispies. But nicely decorated with 49th and his name and the waiters sang with a genuine enthusiasm.

After dinner we collected our passports and found out about getting tender tickets for tomorrow.

Saturday, June 17

St Peter Port, Guernsey

Our last day in port.

I was up before 6, had coffee at Cafe al Baccio and picked up tender tickets at 7:15 for the 4th group. Just before 10, Dave, Paul, Rachel and I went on the tender to shore. Our tour with Annette Henry was not until 11:00, so we quickly walked into town, looked in the church and then to the pharmacy where I bought an expensive container of sunblock. But a necessity as the sun was beating down on my already sunburnt skin. The church was surrounded by flowers, as was everywhere we looked.

a98e697ad0b1415956bb17a85e0829c5.jpg

5032d46876d56ccf899191bd7f414640.jpg

951fcc458d25310c18da485776f77e9a.jpg

c2b18a4d62e67a2d4bb80f19bce6a867.jpg

c6a97863d9c0f234c8ca3579fbe66c81.jpg

c585db0bb144d9c896d344eeb99fd9c0.jpg

We walked back to the port, logged in with some free wifi and soon Annette came to gather the group.

e0edfda78862c3ba76fadc084ed1d914.jpg

486e8df47504a804b1d5e24a3ca0c8ac.jpg

4e86e2eb5f1f23fbc9ba4e4c38d2501a.jpg

We followed her past the church and the Prince Albert statue, then began the climb up narrow winding streets and pathways. Annette told us stories of witch trials, Victor Hugo's haunted house, ghosts, the Black Plague as well as what it's like to grow up and live in Guernsey.

4424bf4ebc9e1249c6e6348579155029.jpg

98a0564a1c8c008627b962cb2dc97d9e.jpg

We had wonderful views of the harbor and city center before coming back down to the busy streets. We sat while she talked about the German occupation and how it affected her parents and grandparents. (If you are going to Guernsey, I highly recommend reading The Potato Peel Pie Society.)

0754280f5a47c79e20dd2143fbd47b5b.jpg

The tour lasted about 2.25 hours. Annette was informative, personable and funny. She charges a nominal fee and its well worth it. If you are interested in her tours you can google her name and send her an email. She was very nice to accommodate everyone after our day was switched.

After the tour, we were hungry and went into a Cornish pasty shop. The traditional meat, onion and potato pasty was wonderful.

We walked a bit more but it was hot so we stopped for some Guernsey ice cream and got back on the tender. As it was our last afternoon, Paul and I had some drinks and sat by the pool. (love the drinks package)

Our last dinner -- I had shank of lamb -- very tender but too much to eat! Norene's steak was tough. Melwyn and Rodrigo seemed genuinely touched to say good bye. Our cabin steward Connie was leaving the ship for a month and a half vacation. She was a very pleasant and hard worker.

After our last minute packing we went up to the Oceanview for some tea and dessert. I had tres leches and Rachel had carrot walnut cake after the chef teased her there were no carrots in it.

Rachel and I went to the show at 9, it was incredible with blow up creatures and arial ballet. Loved, loved, loved it.

8ce7f7bfc3c0a3cdc59e1d684402c24a.jpg

47ed8304e4f2278309dd9bfb9f731512.jpg

e1282bb2e282a7809ba0743b8d9268de.jpg

cc5e2cffa8323398a3659414ac8f11cb.jpg

58a00bb5ef2232293758cc5d364b9e44.jpg

42a2b087c14fe4a989a03ffb3a19b409.jpg

Sunday, June 18

Southampton disembarkation

All good things must come to an end. We gathered our belongings and walked off the ship in order to meet our driver from International Friends. I had booked a private car months ago that would pick up the six of us take us to Windsor for a quick visit, then drop us off at Heathrow terminals 3 and 5.

I had emailed the company to let them know we also had a folding wheelchair and walker and they said no problem.

Our driver was to arrive at 8:30. We got to the pick up point before 8, and walked back and forth looking for our name. I was nervous because we had a bad experience previously with a driver from a different company but our driver arrived at 8:30 on the dot. He was dressed in a suit and tie, driving a Mercedes and expertly loaded the luggage, folding the wheelchair and walker.

We settled in the car and Norene turned to me and said, can we just go to the airport? The trip in many ways had been difficult for Dave and Norene with many sleepless nights and concerns about Brian. So, that's what we did. The ride was smooth and quiet and we got to the airport with plenty of time to spare. Our driver expertly reassembled the wheelchair and walker and we were all set. This was our second time to use International Friends and I definitely recommend them.

This concludes my trip report. If you made it all the way to the end, thank you for reading. Months of planning paid off as we prepaid a lot of things to lessen the after cruise hangover. Many thanks to our active rollcall for exchange of ideas.

I'm more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

Rachel and I went to the show at 9, it was incredible with blow up creatures and arial ballet. Loved, loved, loved it.

8ce7f7bfc3c0a3cdc59e1d684402c24a.jpg

47ed8304e4f2278309dd9bfb9f731512.jpg

e1282bb2e282a7809ba0743b8d9268de.jpg

cc5e2cffa8323398a3659414ac8f11cb.jpg

58a00bb5ef2232293758cc5d364b9e44.jpg

42a2b087c14fe4a989a03ffb3a19b409.jpg

That show was excellent. The best show we have seen on Celebrity. A bit surreal but superbly staged and probably expensive to stage. Much better than the Chandelier show it replaced. Many will have missed this show as usually the last nights show is a medley of several acts that have already been seen. Nice to have a show designed around the Eurovision Song Contest Winner by Sweden in 2012!

Thanks so much for your report. Brought back memories of an excellent cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That show was excellent. The best show we have seen on Celebrity. A bit surreal but superbly staged and probably expensive to stage. Much better than the Chandelier show it replaced. Many will have missed this show as usually the last nights show is a medley of several acts that have already been seen. Nice to have a show designed around the Eurovision Song Contest Winner by Sweden in 2012!

Thanks so much for your report. Brought back memories of an excellent cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The production shows were really great, kudos to the crew and performers. I found the house band to be very good, very versatile. One show I neglected to mention was the Phil Collins tribute. He was really good, not campy like the guy who did the the Freddy Mercury tribute guy two years ago on the Eclipse.

Thank you for sticking with my long, indulgent report! It was a great cruise, just a taste of so many wonderful places.

JoAnn

I want to thank you for a fantastic review!

DH and I, with my DS, just finished a somewhat similar itinerary on the NCL Jade and loved it. Yours is just different enough to make us consider it, since we also love Celebrity.

I especially enjoyed your visit to Blarney. I too did not do the kissing of the stone, so I spent a lot of time in those gorgeous gardens taking pictures, and visiting the Mill. I got a sweater also since the prices were so good, and I wound up needing it. Our weather was colder and mistier than yours!

Thanks again. You are a wonderful reviewer! And please, give us an update on you family's health concerns, especially Brian.

I want to thank you for a fantastic review!

DH and I, with my DS, just finished a somewhat similar itinerary on the NCL Jade and loved it. Yours is just different enough to make us consider it, since we also love Celebrity.

I especially enjoyed your visit to Blarney. I too did not do the kissing of the stone, so I spent a lot of time in those gorgeous gardens taking pictures, and visiting the Mill. I got a sweater also since the prices were so good, and I wound up needing it. Our weather was colder and mistier than yours!

Thanks again. You are a wonderful reviewer! And please, give us an update on you family's health concerns, especially Brian.

Thank you. I think I could do the exact same cruise again but different excursions for a totally different experience. Scotland and Cobh were my favorites. Dublin and Paris my least favorite although I'd be willing to give Paris another shot one day.

We've been home almost a month. Brian has been back in the hospital several times. Rachel is staying with her grandparents for a few weeks in California to help them. Thank you for asking.

We were also on this cruise and thoroughly enjoyed it apart from one or two hiccups. This was our third time on Celebrity Eclipse and will miss it from next year as it will be based in Dublin and not Southampton during the summer season. We found the show times of 7p.m.and 9 p.m.meant that we only managed to see one during the cruise previous times of around 8 ish and 10 ish suitedus better. We are off on Cunards Queen Elizabeth at the end of the month to cruise Iceland and Fjords. Wishing your family well. Thanks for your review it enabled us to see parts we did not visit.

Eclipse only doing 5 cruises from Dublin, then based in Amsterdam for the remainder of the summer season.

I am looking forward to sailing on Silhouette which will be based in Southampton next summer.

We saw her on a day trip to Liverpool on 01.06.16 (1st June)

037c6400f779095ba8587d6869210b86.jpg

Eclipse only doing 5 cruises from Dublin, then based in Amsterdam for the remainder of the summer season.

I am looking forward to sailing on Silhouette which will be based in Southampton next summer.

We saw her on a day trip to Liverpool on 01.06.16 (1st June)

037c6400f779095ba8587d6869210b86.jpg

Hi UpwardUK.... agree totally re the Eclipse and I have booked myself and younger daughter on the Silhouette Sept 18 to the Western Med...... Have done the western Med 5 times now but this itinerary does stop at Barcelona and Corsica rather than Malaga.... though I am disappointed that they are doing provence rather than the lovely Villefranche!

Thanks for the review Texasgirl..... it brought back many memories. I did post my review on CC. Alas I don't have your photography skills!

I have to disagree re the highlights though as Liverpool was unexpectedly the highlight of the trip and I would love to do it again. Having said that my elder daughter's new husband arrives from N Carolina this week on a pre - visa visit and we will be taking him to Liverpool for the day.

Thanks for the review Texasgirl..... it brought back many memories. I did post my review on CC. Alas I don't have your photography skills!

I have to disagree re the highlights though as Liverpool was unexpectedly the highlight of the trip and I would love to do it again. Having said that my elder daughter's new husband arrives from N Carolina this week on a pre - visa visit and we will be taking him to Liverpool for the day.

Helen, I went and read your review -- loved your enthusiasm. In fact, I read all of the reviews and wondered if I was on the same cruise as some of these people?

I did like Liverpool-- regretfully we were at dinner during the sail away and didn't get the full effect. We saw the confetti cannons go off from ground level but no sound. I would definitely like to go back someday -- Paul and I were thinking a road trip through England and Scotland.

If we did an overnight in Liverpool (hint, hint Celebrity) I would have loved to have ventured farther afield.

Thanks for the compliment on the photos. I just used my iPhone camera which made it so convenient.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Sunday, June 18

Southampton disembarkation

This concludes my trip report. If you made it all the way to the end, thank you for reading. Months of planning paid off as we prepaid a lot of things to lessen the after cruise hangover. Many thanks to our active rollcall for exchange of ideas.

I'm more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

Thank you for such a thorough review. I enjoyed all of it. We are on the Eclipse June '18, some ports are different but your review was very helpful. Please don't delete your post that directs to this post, it worked fine for me and I was able to see all of your photos.

Happy Cruising!