Disembarking in Civitavecchia

Teewells

For those who have previously disembarked in Civitavecchia; our ship is scheduled arrive at 05:00 but does anybody know what time we might actually be permitted to disembark? Luggage is not an issue as we carry our own. Trying to plan an early escape to FCO with private transfer and need to choose a time. Thanks!

It all depends on the cruise line and the port. You might be able to get off before 7am...but I wouldn't encourage planning for it. We docked at 4:30. Nobody got off before 7:15. So, for your private transport, I would suggest 7 or 7:30.

It is commonly discussed and recommended here not to book a flight direct to the US before 10:30, and one domestically within Europe before 9:30. If you are going to Canada- assuming non-stop to Toronto- I would follow the 10:30 rule.

Hi,

My ship will dock at 6 AM. Will I be able to make the 11:20 flight at FCO if I book a private transport? Thanks.

Our ship (HAL Koningsdam) docked at 7am and we had Expedited Disembarkation, so we were called at 7.15, and sitting in the car provided by Stefano's RomeCabs by 7.45.

We were at FCO terminal 3 by 9am. It was a Sunday morning (May holiday sunday) and there was very little traffic.

VMax1700 can you remember approx what the one way fare was? Also how do we contact Stefano?

You can get an online quote here http://www.romecabs.com/transferservice/civitavecchia/ and make the booking as well.

Our driver to the airport, Michael, was absolutely fantastic. I kinda regretted that we weren't driving further as it was so interesting talking to him on the trip.

• 2 weeks later...
For those who have previously disembarked in Civitavecchia; our ship is scheduled arrive at 05:00 but does anybody know what time we might actually be permitted to disembark? Luggage is not an issue as we carry our own. Trying to plan an early escape to FCO with private transfer and need to choose a time. Thanks!

There are a couple options when making your way on your own into Central Rome after disembarking the Port of Civitavecchia.

Depending on where your ship docks, you can take the free shuttle to either Largo della Pace or Fort Michelangelo.

From Largo della Pace, walk a short distance to Argo Bus to transfer to Civitavecchia Train Station

From Fort Michelangelo, cross the street and head south (5 blocks) to Civitavecchia Train Station.

The difference is you will be pulling your luggage for a short distance when arriving at Fort.

Tickets can be purchased in the train station, and travel to several stations along the way. The most popular train route travels to Station de Roma Termini as most visitors are staying nearby. Once you arrive in the station, catch a quick taxi to your hotel.

Also, the port shuttle no longer stops at Fort Michelangelo, you must take it to Largo della Pace.

Hi,

I know where Fort Michelangelo is but not sure where Largo della Pace is. Is that near Hotel Traghetto (at opposite end of street from train station)?

Couple of weeks ago we were on a Med. cruise that stopped in Civi & shuttle took us to further stop (by Traghetto). Did not shuttle us to main Fort port entrance. Was that only for ships visiting?

We have cruise booked for Fall from Civi. Trying to figure out if we can enter port at Traghetto end or can only enter at Fort entrance. Any idea?

NJ

Just to add a couple of data points...

In 2013 we self disembarked at 7am and did a private transfer to FCO Terminal 3 for a 10:40am flight.

In 2016 we self disembarked at 7am and did a private transfer to FCO Terminal 3 for a 10:45am flight.

Both disembarkation days were on a Friday. Traffic was light and we made it to FCO pretty close to 8am. The check in counter and security lines were short. Note however, we were flying to Barcelona and London though, not to North America.

NJ, yes the port shuttle stop is just before Hotel Traghetto. That was the only stop for our disembarkation.

Thanks. But is this just for cruises visiting? This is a fairly new port entrance. Used be only the main entrance closer to the Train Station end. That's where you can pick up Civitours shuttle to airport.

So does that mean to get the train station, we have to shelp all the way back? or do you have a choice to go to main entrance? We were there in May, if I had known this, would have checked things out more thoroughly...

Confused.

Thanks,

NJ

Thanks. But is this just for cruises visiting? This is a fairly new port entrance. Used be only the main entrance closer to the Train Station end. That's where you can pick up Civitours shuttle to airport.

So does that mean to get the train station, we have to shelp all the way back? or do you have a choice to go to main entrance? We were there in May, if I had known this, would have checked things out more thoroughly...

Confused.

Thanks,

NJ

It has nothing to do with 'visiting' ships. Several years ago the "main" entrance to the port was relocated. It is no longer at Fort Michelangelo. Free port shuttles to/from the buses originate at the new entrance, and from this new entrance you can then get on a local public bus (fare is around 2 euro per person) to take you to the train station, or it is about a 20 minute walk -- about twice as far as previously.

There have been very random anecdotal reports of the shuttles stopping at Fort Michelangelo (as a secondary stop) but there are also reports from people saying the shuttles do NOT stop there. So I wouldn't count on it.

It has nothing to do with 'visiting' ships. Several years ago the "main" entrance to the port was relocated. It is no longer at Fort Michelangelo. Free port shuttles to/from the buses originate at the new entrance, and from this new entrance you can then get on a local public bus (fare is around 2 euro per person) to take you to the train station, or it is about a 20 minute walk -- about twice as far as previously.

There have been very random anecdotal reports of the shuttles stopping at Fort Michelangelo (as a secondary stop) but there are also reports from people saying the shuttles do NOT stop there. So I wouldn't count on it.

Got it. Thanks excellent info. I thought there were two port entrances so now I know. We stay at Hotel Traghetto so port change is great for us. We can walk to it. But will be a bit of hassle getting to train station. Better pack light. We have walked to Hotel before from train station. It's fairly easy but will try to catch bus.

Thanks again for clearing this up. Appreciate it.

NJ

Our ship (HAL Koningsdam) docked at 7am and we had Expedited Disembarkation, so we were called at 7.15, and sitting in the car provided by Stefano's RomeCabs by 7.45.

We were at FCO terminal 3 by 9am. It was a Sunday morning (May holiday sunday) and there was very little traffic.

Thank you! That will our scenario next April and you just saved me a lot of time and energy researching this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

We are due to arrive at 9 am on MSC Fantasia, along with 2 other ships due to dock at 5 am and 7 am. We have been researching getting to our convent near termini, normally we would go for the train but I have discovered we could very well have to take our suitcases up and down steps at civitavecchia station so thats not an option for us. I have found shuttles that leave at 9.00 and 9.30 so that won't work either as I don't expect to be getting off til about 10 am.

Has anyone any suggestions? Some websites say the driver will wait 15 minutes and then we would be considered a no show but still be charged for the transfer, so that won't work either. Our problem seems to be our 9 am arrival. If we were on one of the other ships there wouldn't be a problem. We do plan to walk off with our own luggage if that is an option on MSC. First MSC cruise for us but many cruises. Had a suitcase badly damaged in Venice on arrival part way through a 6 week trip - thank goodness for duct tape!!! so we always do our own luggage when possible.

We are a group of 5 staying at 2 locations near termini only about half a km apart.

I don't think you have too many choices given your circumstances.

You can hire a private transfer, either just for your party of 5 or try to get more folks from your roll call to join. Given that you already have two drop-off locations, you might want to stick with the transfer just for your group.

Romashuttle.com offers a private service and a shuttle service. (I've used their shuttle service as it's a bit cheaper. It just means that you 'may' share with others) I'd make sure they know when your ship arrives and when you want to be picked up -- make the time reasonable enough that you'll be able to make it if there are any hiccups.

I'd also ask on the MSC boards regarding the walk-off disembarkation. I think most lines allow it now but not quite sure about the Italian-based lines.

I don't think you have too many choices given your circumstances.

You can hire a private transfer, either just for your party of 5 or try to get more folks from your roll call to join. Given that you already have two drop-off locations, you might want to stick with the transfer just for your group.

Romashuttle.com offers a private service and a shuttle service. (I've used their shuttle service as it's a bit cheaper. It just means that you 'may' share with others) I'd make sure they know when your ship arrives and when you want to be picked up -- make the time reasonable enough that you'll be able to make it if there are any hiccups.

I'd also ask on the MSC boards regarding the walk-off disembarkation. I think most lines allow it now but not quite sure about the Italian-based lines.

We're looking for a shared shuttle service from Civi to Rome in December. Will Romashuttle charge you the cheaper shared rate if that's what you book, even if you wind up not sharing with anyone else? I contacted one company who said they would collect the full private transfer price even if we booked a shared shuttle, if no one else shows up to share. Didn't seem fair to me since we wouldn't know ahead of time.....I was wondering if that is common practice.

Thank you cruisemom for your suggestions. To put a "spanner in the works" hubby really really really wants to go see that monument of the sailor and nurse on the waterfront. Last time we were in civit we just walked around the town but that was in 2012 and we didnt go in to Rome as we had spent a few days there a couple of weeks earlier.

Is the monument walkable from the new terminal? I guess if we book a private transfer we could ask the driver to take us via it for a photo stop and a nice tip?

Thank you cruisemom for your suggestions. To put a "spanner in the works" hubby really really really wants to go see that monument of the sailor and nurse on the waterfront. Last time we were in civit we just walked around the town but that was in 2012 and we didnt go in to Rome as we had spent a few days there a couple of weeks earlier.

Is the monument walkable from the new terminal? I guess if we book a private transfer we could ask the driver to take us via it for a photo stop and a nice tip?

I believe the statue has gone permanently. There were protests when it was first moved (to France, I think) but it hasn't returned.