Dubai and Abu Dhabi free shuttles to get out of the port ?

fvandewouwer

Hi,

cruise December, Brilliance of the Seas, Emirates I wonder if there are free shuttles to get out of these industrial ports. We would love to do the big bus tour and I am trying to figure out if we could walk to the nearest bus stop.

I read that there are plenty of taxi's but we rather tour around with the bus so question to all of you who have done this cruise or knows these ports so well, do we have to get a taxi to get out of the port or are there shuttle busses available ?

I do hope someone can help me, thank you for your time.

Have a wonderful day

Frieda

I know taxis are cheap but the big bus tour seems a great way to explore both the cities

We had 2 days in the port of Dubai in November and did the Big Bus tours. We purchased the tickets inside the terminal building and the bus company ran a shuttle from the port to one of the major bus stops, where you can then choose whether you wish to do the Red Route (old city area) or the Blue Route (the newer city area and beaches). The same shuttle service is available for return to the port.

We had 2 days in the port of Dubai in November and did the Big Bus tours. We purchased the tickets inside the terminal building and the bus company ran a shuttle from the port to one of the major bus stops, where you can then choose whether you wish to do the Red Route (old city area) or the Blue Route (the newer city area and beaches). The same shuttle service is available for return to the port.

this helps me a lot ! thank you so much Goldygolfer

any ideas about muscat or Fujairah ? am still looking for some wonderful excursions, desert safari, snorkeling, .... all ideas are welcome

have a wonderful day:)

Sorry. Can't herlp with the other ports becuae I haven't been there.

Happy to answer any further questions about Dubai.

thanks for your help Goldygolfer the information about the bus tickets are a big help hope to find some people who has done the other ports

have a wonderful weekend

Hello to you in Belgium! We will do the same cruise as you - however, one week ahead of yours :rolleyes: I'm very interested in the answers to your questions as well. So thank you Goldygolfer for the information about the Big Bus Tours :)

Hoping for more suggestions to come.

Hello to you in Belgium! We will do the same cruise as you - however, one week ahead of yours :rolleyes: I'm very interested in the answers to your questions as well. So thank you Goldygolfer for the information about the Big Bus Tours :)

Hoping for more suggestions to come.

Hello to you in Sweden, finally someone who is doing this cruise ! so you will be back when we are leaving, I do hope you have a great time.

We intend to take the big bus tour in Dubai as well as in Abu Dhabi it seems a great way to explore the city.

Did you find something in Fujairah and Muscat ? Have been looking for months now but there is so little information on the board as well as on trip advisor We wanted to go snorkelling or do a mountain tour or Mussandam ...... still searching

If you have a great idea thanks for sharing it with me the ships tours seems very expensive and we also do try to avoid big crowds ( silly when you are on a cruise, I know:) )

have a wonderful cruise

have a wonderful cruise

You may want to have a look at the roll call thread for your specific cruise: December 12, 2011 - Brilliance of the Seas - Dubai RT, where there are more CC members discussing it.

Hello to London, thank you so much !

the one board I never look at is the" roll call one", don't know why

now I know why I should have done that

have a wonderful weekend

this helps me a lot ! thank you so much Goldygolfer

any ideas about muscat or Fujairah ? am still looking for some wonderful excursions, desert safari, snorkeling, .... all ideas are welcome

have a wonderful day:)

A friend did this cruise earlier in the year and said that Fujairah wasn't worth going into. I may take the opportunity to stay on board and just relax with a book.

A friend did this cruise earlier in the year and said that Fujairah wasn't worth going into. I may take the opportunity to stay on board and just relax with a book.

read same thing about Jujairah, still hope we can find a dive cy who wants to take us on a snorkel trip

after that still a lot of time fo relaxing, I hope

thanks for giving me the information

have a wonderful evening

read same thing about Jujairah, still hope we can find a dive cy who wants to take us on a snorkel trip

Thanks for info about Jujairah....that stop seems not to be the most interesting one :cool: However, we are on the cruise to relax, to enjoy the climate a.s.o. (We are going on the same cruise - 5th of Dec. - one week ahead of yours.)

Please let me know if you find out anything about some local tour operator who can offer us some exiting excursion....;)

MSC Cruises does cruise as well in this region (as Costa Cruises also does), and on their cruise the ship "MSC Lirica" makes a stop in Khasab in Oman... I heard that Khasab is a place where the ship cruise into one/some nice fjords.

However, this time we chose RCCL instead of MSC due to the fact that "Brilliance of the Seas" has a lot of balcony cabins to chose between, while "MSC Lirica" only has one type of balcony cabin...which are Suites.

Furthermore, this will be our first cruise ever with RCCL:rolleyes:

Thanks for info about Jujairah....that stop seems not to be the most interesting one :cool: However, we are on the cruise to relax, to enjoy the climate a.s.o. (We are going on the same cruise - 5th of Dec. - one week ahead of yours.)

Please let me know if you find out anything about some local tour operator who can offer us some exiting excursion....;)

MSC Cruises does cruise as well in this region (as Costa Cruises also does), and on their cruise the ship "MSC Lirica" makes a stop in Khasab in Oman... I heard that Khasab is a place where the ship cruise into one/some nice fjords.

However, this time we chose RCCL instead of MSC due to the fact that "Brilliance of the Seas" has a lot of balcony cabins to chose between, while "MSC Lirica" only has one type of balcony cabin...which are Suites.

Furthermore, this will be our first cruise ever with RCCL:rolleyes:

Hi Frode,

It is our 6th cruise with RCCL and never used MSC so I cannot compare

We do hope you enjoy RCCL ( we know we do ) and if you happen to find something very excited to do (Fujairah or Oman ) also pls keep us informed

it is not that long anymore and would love to have arranged everything prior our cruise, am really getting nervous

all ideas are welcome!

have a wonderful weekend

• 1 month later...
I was told that RCCL would obtain it for us for a fee that will be charged to our on-board account

When I booked the cruise yesterday. The guy told me I needed a visa and to get one from the visa company in the uk. I did look up the company and it does appear Oman is one of their regular ones. I also looked up the Oman embassy and have emailed them. Other research shows that if you fly in to Dubai and go in to Oman by road the visa fee is waivered! Very confusing as it appears George we may need a multi visit as we are doing a back to back. So if anybody has done this cruise please let us know what we need. Thanks

Yes we were there in January and this is very true! Unless you have pre-booked an activity there is virtually NOTHING there worth getting off the ship for.

On the dockside the locals may have an impromptu flea market laid out selling bits of dusty old junk. Otherwise there's just a few shabby dockside shops selling cheap supplies for visiting ships crew. Apparently if you walk into the nearby town there's just a small supermarket which is 'smaller than an Aldi but with much less good stock'.

It's a huge shame that the cruises waste a day stopping here - it's just a small commercial port - an extra day in Abu Dhabi would be far, far better.

Muscat though is a nice short visit and we really liked it.

Once out of the dock gates ignore the many taxi drivers touting for fares and walk on along the sea front to the town centre. You'll pass an interesting (if pungent) traditional fish market, plenty of shops and cafes until you reach the small Souk. It's a really nice friendly one with touristy stuff at the front but authentic items for the locals as you walk through to the back. Make sure you come out at the rear of the souk to visit the shopping streets of the busy town centre itself.

Hi to all, we just returned from our cruise on RCCL BOS Barcelona to Dubai and we stopped at Muscat. We orginially had booked their walking tour, but upon further research we cancelled it and decided to go out on our on. My dh and I and another couple got off the ship early and after you go thru the gates there are loads of taxi's sitting there waiting on all the cruise passengers. We hired a taxi to take us to the Souk....it cost us a total for all four $15.00 US dollars...he then asked if we were interested in a tour of the area...we agreed...he waited for us while were were in the Souk (we told him we would be in the Souk for 1 hr)...came out he was still there...he took us on a 4 hr sightseeing tour of the whole area....lots of photo stops, also a "Comfort" stop at the Ritz Carlton and then back to the port....all for $60.00 US...total for all 4 of us.

What a beautiful country, everything is new and worth seeing. We just thought it would be another touristy stop....boy were we wrong. Hope this helps....We were also in Abu Dhabi and Dubai....if you need any other info, I would be happy to help. Just email me at dmfloc@msn.com....Happy Cruise.

Gypsylady

PS...they take US dollars and Euros...no need to change into their local currency also true for Abu and Dubai.

• 3 months later...

Free shuttle buses run in all the ports. Fujairah is a waste of time as the shuttle takes you to a supermarket.

We did Big Bus in both Dubai and Abu Dhabi. Well worth it. In Oman we hired a taxi for a couple of hours the first day and walked around the town and along the shore the second day. Taxis in Dubai are very cheap and worth taking rather than waiting for the shuttle buses which don't seem to run regularly. Shops were expensive in Dubai. The souks are good for bargaining in and woth a look even if you don't buy.

Uk citizens don't need to do anything about Visas. You do have to surrender your passport on embarkation.

I'll help if anyone has any questions just fire away.

Archived