Princess Disasters

nymshowdown

I recently read on the Carnival boards about the problem on Grand Princess back in Feb. After looking on-line for a while, I discovered something I never knew. I'm assuming most people know about the disasterous fire on Diamond (Sapphire) Princess in Japan while it was under construction back in 2002. I was amazed at the photos and the story mainly because i never knew, and learned that the current Diamond Princess was actually supposed to be the Sapphire and the current Sapphire was to be the Diamond (the ship had the fire) Any one else know of any other Princess "disasters" or events gone wrong?

I recently read on the Carnival boards about the problem on Grand Princess back in Feb. After looking on-line for a while, I discovered something I never knew. I'm assuming most people know about the disasterous fire on Diamond (Sapphire) Princess in Japan while it was under construction back in 2002. I was amazed at the photos and the story mainly because i never knew, and learned that the current Diamond Princess was actually supposed to be the Sapphire and the current Sapphire was to be the Diamond (the ship had the fire) Any one else know of any other Princess "disasters" or events gone wrong?

And, your point IS? I don't understand what you are looking for or the reason you are looking for it! Are you simply trying to trash Princess?

none that i can think of,cept that aweful turn the grand did lol,wasnt that bad:rolleyes: ,i think most of the cruise lines have had a setback or two,but they always rebound,things just happen sometimes:p

....it was a builder's disaster. Probably the last ships the Japanese build for Princess. Italians are building the latest.

If you do your research on every major cruise line, they all have had" Disasters". NCL's pride of america semi-sank before it was ever handed over to the cruise line. Every compnay has bad things go wrong from time to time.

and....QM2 had people die when a scaffolding collapsed just before she was finished.

Don't forget Titanic - the mother of all cruise shop disaster! There will always be problems - Princess works very hard to keep her ships and her passengers safe. As with United, I will continue to travel with companies that make me feel that they are looking out for my best interest. Too many people get panic stricken when they see things without looking at the big picture. A Princess cheerleader? Maybe, but I've been called much worse. Princess is okay by me.

Charlie

Not sure I'd call the turn the Grand took a "disaster" since the ship wasn't damaged. A PR or communications disaster surely, but not a ship disaster.

Don't forget the Golden's transatlantic several years ago when it hit such rough weather that many windows were broken.

And, there was Carnival ship that went out to sea to avoid a hurricane and the photos showed it plowing into the waves and having them break over the front and sides of the ship.

Every cruise line has problems from time to time. One of Royal Caribbean's ships hit the dock at Costa Maya and was stuck there for several days. Celebrity has had many problems with their Millenium ships and have had to cancel cruises on short notice.

Carnival's first ever cruise ran aground shortly after leaving port. They obviously got past that.

and....QM2 had people die when a scaffolding collapsed just before she was finished.

And that was not Cunard's fault, it was the people from the shipyard that built the temporary scaffolding.

How about the QM2 severely damaging one of her pods while leaving Port Everglades. Future cruises had to be cancelled to make repairs. A RCCL ship ran aground on a Caribbean island a few years ago while entering port under the control of a pilot? NCL had a steam explosion on the Norway. No cruise line is immune from possible accidents. However, it still is one of the safest methods of transportaion with passenger accident fatalities almost non-existent.

And, your point IS? I don't understand what you are looking for or the reason you are looking for it! Are you simply trying to trash Princess?

A little testy, aren't we, for a simple question that didn't sound like trashing to me. Perhaps the OP is a huge Princess Fan and wants to know all things related to Princess, including any disasters. Perhaps the OP is a Disaster Fan and looks for the Disasters trivia in any thing that touches their lives. Maybe, the OP just thought it would make a neat and interesting topic...I certainly have never seen it before. For some people, anything NOT OVERTLY POSITIVE, is an attack. No need to be so defensive. If you don't want to participate in this thread.....move along to one that is more to your liking. Not all topics have to validate your feelings about Princess Cruises, and absolutely none of them are a threat to your continued warm gushy feelings about this cruiseline.

Like i said before, I'm a big fan and have nothing against Princess. (You can see i've been on 4 Princess Cruises and loved each one) I just saw the post about the Grand and found out about the Diamond, and wondered if anything else bad has happened to Princess. Nicely put Pootersmom. :)

The only incident I know of with Princess was a number of years back when Golden Princess 1 (that’s the first Golden, not the current Golden) suffered an engine room fire en route between San Francisco and Alaska (the ship was previously Royal Viking Sky). She had to be towed into Victoria where her passengers were off loaded and taken home. She was back in service after repairs. Otherwise, Princess as a cruise line seems to be pretty healthy when it comes to “disasters.”

Archived