• See a soccer game
    • Visit the surrounding countryside
    • Beatles stuff
    • Shopping
    • Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour
    • Williamson Tunnels
    • Research Family History
    • Other - Please post details

Thank you for all these suggestions. Using a scooter I have to watch my mileage but this gives me plenty of ideas.

You'll be fine on your scooter and can easily have a great day out and put only a mile or two on the clock. Enjoy! :)

Not sure when the cruise ships will be in Liverpool but for those planning on taking trains from James Street (nearest station to the cruise terminal) and onto the Wirral and Chester, please be aware that there is maintenance work being performed on the lines and train schedules will be interrupted until the end of June. Merseyrail have been using buses to transfer passsengers between affected stations. Things should be back to normal by July.

Not sure when the cruise ships will be in Liverpool but for those planning on taking trains from James Street (nearest station to the cruise terminal) and onto the Wirral and Chester, please be aware that there is maintenance work being performed on the lines and train schedules will be interrupted until the end of June. Merseyrail have been using buses to transfer passsengers between affected stations. Things should be back to normal by July.

Thanks for the info , where do we get off in ( Chester )

Just take the Chester train to the end of the line. The station is a bit of a walk to the town center but well signposted. The VisitChester website is good and has lots of information.

• 2 months later...
I'd be interested to know if anyone managed to get along to the Open Championship from any of the cruise ships thatweredocked during that weekend. :-)

Not personally, and I cannot tell you how many but I can confirm that there were definitely quite a number from the Celebrity Silhouette. There were a number of golf pros on board who led excursions on both days. I know there was some concern about industrial action affecting trains on Sunday however trains still ran just to the Open I think?

I'd be interested to know if anyone managed to get along to the Open Championship from any of the cruise ships thatweredocked during that weekend. :-)

My wife and I did on Saturday (on our own, via train from station closest to the port...about 15 minute walk)...was very easy to do and had a great time.

I looked it up, station was "moorfields"

We had a large group in front of us in the Queue on the Sunday, the Guide was at the front of the group with the Celebrity tour board. There was one group in particular celebrating someone's birthday and all had the same Tee-shirts on.

My wife and I did on Saturday (on our own, via train from station closest to the port...about 15 minute walk)...was very easy to do and had a great time.

I looked it up, station was "moorfields"

Glad you got there. I heard transport was a bit of a nightmare, but sounds like you did just fine :)

We had a large group in front of us in the Queue on the Sunday, the Guide was at the front of the group with the Celebrity tour board. There was one group in particular celebrating someone's birthday and all had the same Tee-shirts on.

Sounds like a ship's excursion. I bet that was cheap!! :o

• 2 weeks later...
Hi. Weather is never to be relied upon here. You can get 4 seasons in one day, and we often do! The trick is ALWAYS bring lots of layers, including a thin waterproof coat. Oh yes, and an umbrella! We have friends from New York with us right now and that's exactly what they've done. It's the only way to go with the British weather. :) And you're welcome to the help. Love my city!

Just popping back in to say thank you and I LOVE your city also! We had a beautiful day to tour the city. Once off the Sillouette ( Aug 17) , we got on a HOHO bus to get acclimated and circled back to the port area to take the Mersey Ferry tour - after that we went to the Liverpool Cathedral and climbed the tower for some wonderful views; then back down to the waterfront hoping to get to the Beatles Story, but the line was too long by then. We did walk thru the "mall" area, caught sight of some beautiful sailing vessels that are in a race around the world, went into a quaint little "Quartermasters" house that has been restored and then the Liverpool Museum. We had a fabulous day, but not enough time leaving us wanting more. This is one place we would definitely like to spend more time in!

• 1 month later...
Just popping back in to say thank you and I LOVE your city also! We had a beautiful day to tour the city. Once off the Sillouette ( Aug 17) , we got on a HOHO bus to get acclimated and circled back to the port area to take the Mersey Ferry tour - after that we went to the Liverpool Cathedral and climbed the tower for some wonderful views; then back down to the waterfront hoping to get to the Beatles Story, but the line was too long by then. We did walk thru the "mall" area, caught sight of some beautiful sailing vessels that are in a race around the world, went into a quaint little "Quartermasters" house that has been restored and then the Liverpool Museum. We had a fabulous day, but not enough time leaving us wanting more. This is one place we would definitely like to spend more time in!

Great to hear of another satisfied visitor to our city. Hope we get the pleasure of your company again. 😊

Just popping back in to say thank you and I LOVE your city also! ....... after that we went to the Liverpool Cathedral and climbed the tower for some wonderful views;"............

Just to say that there are TWO Liverpool cathedrals. The Anglican (Episcopalian) and the Metropolitan (Roman Catholic). :)

Cinbol went to the Anglican one.:)

Edited by turnip eater

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Towncar T

I am hoping you are still watching this thread and can give me some info.

We will be in London after a cruise around the BI and DH wants to go to Liverpool and check out the Beatles. I have tried asking questions on other threads but not getting answers to my questions. Maybe you can help?

We know we can take a train (from Euston Station I think) and that we can get reasonable fares after the commuters get to work! I have a link to train schedules, and also one for for 2for1Liverpool. And I know the fares can be confusing and there are some small number of seats offered very early at great discounts. I believe the train will stop at London Lime St station in Liverpool.

Can you provide your advice as to how we could take a national rail ((I think, or maybe Virgin train?), then do a Beatles tour (probably with a tour company or guide but not absolutely required, we are OK DIY), then get back to the station for the trip back to London?

Thanks for any help

ML

Hello - I'm not Towncar but I am from Liverpool so maybe I can help a little.

Getting the best rate on tickets can be hit and miss, and you will probably need to book ahead. Just turning up at the station will mean paying full price. You get the train from Euston, London, and I would advise booking a direct train (not one that connects at Crewe) which takes two hours. Trains are safe and comfortable and have facilities for snacks and drinks. The train terminates at Liverpool Lime Street.

Some research on tripadvisor, or similar resources, will help you decide if you want to do a formal Beatles tour or just go it alone. Given that you will only have a matter of hours in the City, a tour might be a good idea since some of the Beatles 'sights' are well outside the City Centre, like Penny Lane, Strawberry Field, Paul McCartney's home etc. A bus tour 'Magical Mystery Tour' is popular, but smaller tours are organized (they often use a black cab) if you want something less crowded.

However, you can get to the Beatles museum at the Albert Dock easily from Lime Street station either on foot (it's well signposted and a downhill walk) or get a taxi from the side of the station. Walking should take about 15-20 minutes if you go directly and not keep stopping to sightsee! From there you can walk along the riverfront and see the statues of all four Beatles (photo op) then back into town to Matthew Street and the Cavern (it's not the original but a good replica) and a further short walk brings you to the Eleanor Rigby statue.

If you were feeling really energetic you could walk uphill to Ye Cracke Pub in Rice Street which was the hangout of John Lennon. It's a bit of a hike, and slightly off the beaten path, so tourists don't often go there. A taxi might be the best bet, again, given the time crunch.

Maybe Towncar will chime in with other ideas.

Hello - I'm not Towncar but I am from Liverpool so maybe I can help a little.

Getting the best rate on tickets can be hit and miss, and you will probably need to book ahead. Just turning up at the station will mean paying full price. You get the train from Euston, London, and I would advise booking a direct train (not one that connects at Crewe) which takes two hours. Trains are safe and comfortable and have facilities for snacks and drinks. The train terminates at Liverpool Lime Street.

Some research on tripadvisor, or similar resources, will help you decide if you want to do a formal Beatles tour or just go it alone. Given that you will only have a matter of hours in the City, a tour might be a good idea since some of the Beatles 'sights' are well outside the City Centre, like Penny Lane, Strawberry Field, Paul McCartney's home etc. A bus tour 'Magical Mystery Tour' is popular, but smaller tours are organized (they often use a black cab) if you want something less crowded.

However, you can get to the Beatles museum at the Albert Dock easily from Lime Street station either on foot (it's well signposted and a downhill walk) or get a taxi from the side of the station. Walking should take about 15-20 minutes if you go directly and not keep stopping to sightsee! From there you can walk along the riverfront and see the statues of all four Beatles (photo op) then back into town to Matthew Street and the Cavern (it's not the original but a good replica) and a further short walk brings you to the Eleanor Rigby statue.

If you were feeling really energetic you could walk uphill to Ye Cracke Pub in Rice Street which was the hangout of John Lennon. It's a bit of a hike, and slightly off the beaten path, so tourists don't often go there. A taxi might be the best bet, again, given the time crunch.

Maybe Towncar will chime in with other ideas.

amias

Thanks for your reply, it is very helpful. I have been researching train tickets and got some great advice from some locals on how to approach this. I also set an alert to let me know when advance fares are available for our date. And I am looking at the train that makes no stops, so glad to read I got that part right!

I have read that magical Mystery Tour isn't that great, so smaller tour using a cab could be better. there are only 2 of us, so not sure if that would work? I will go search for some smaller tours.

Since I am still planning and I have been very focused on the train schedule/cost, I didn't give much thought to how to do a Beatles tour. I never considered just a DIY walking tour, but that could work for us, even if we don't see everything. Is the Beatles museum at the dock pretty comprehensive or unque that it might do the trick? I do like the idea of combining that with some general Liverpool sightseeing.

I was trying to see if I could use the 2For1 deals that were noted here but that led me down the rabbithole of Travelcard and railcards, which I still find a bit confusing. Since we will be spending a week in London, I am thinking the Travelcard makes sense for us--can you provide any feedback on that? We can always just get an Oyster card, but I don't know if that help for the train to Liverpool?

Thanks for your help

ML

Edited by NoWhiners
added a question

I used www.pooloflifetours.com for a Beatle tour.

We really enjoyed this tour. We had a 6 person van (2 were real Beatle fans) from our Roll Call. There was many stops where we got out and the driver had pictures and stories and of course Beatle music. We were able to get to see places the big coaches could not get to.

We visited the Beatle exhibit dockside and was a little disappointed after see the real places.

We really enjoyed this tour. We had a 6 person van (2 were real Beatle fans) from our Roll Call. There was many stops where we got out and the driver had pictures and stories and of course Beatle music. We were able to get to see places the big coaches could not get to.

We visited the Beatle exhibit dockside and was a little disappointed after see the real places.

Our problem is this is a day trip from London and there are only 2 of us and we can't spend the whole day there. I may contact them and see what they can do. Maybe they can put us with some other people.

I was wondering how good the museum by the dock was. Might be the best we can do, plus walk by some of the Beatles spots in town.

Our problem is this is a day trip from London and there are only 2 of us and we can't spend the whole day there. I may contact them and see what they can do. Maybe they can put us with some other people.

I was wondering how good the museum by the dock was. Might be the best we can do, plus walk by some of the Beatles spots in town.

I just found with the tour, we got out to see the Beatle's houses and the driver's stories brought everything to life vs the exhibit was mostly pictures. I think the tour was only a few hours maybe 3 hours (?) not all day.

Other posters are correct - the museum gives a good overview of the history of the Beatles and if that fit's your time frame, I'm sure you'd enjoy it. As previously mentioned you can walk from there to other Beatles associated attractions. However, if you really want to see the actual places a tour is the only way to go. I would say that whoever is giving the tour and doing the commentary would make a huge difference since really you are going to be just looking at places - the outside of Paul McCartney's house in Forthlin Road, the gates of Strawberry Field, and Penny Lane which is just a busy street with locals going about their business. A good tour guide should be able to make it all come alive for you.

As regards train tickets it's just a maze! I live in the US but travel home a couple of times a year and often go into London to see friends. I never bother with the two for one tickets or railcards because they all seem to be based on paying an annual fee, so if you were resident and used the service often it would probably work well. As a one off trip - not so much. I do use an Oyster card in and around London however, since it is much easier than having to keep stopping to buy tickets. They can be used on buses (although I just use them for the tube) but are only good inside the London area - you couldn't use it to get to Liverpool. So my advice would be to go for the cheapest ticket you can get for a one way return trip.

Do you have a particular day/date for your trip? If you google Trainline UK you can get a five day overview of ticket prices which shows the cheapest/most expensive days and times.

Sorry, forgot about the London Travelcard. If you are there for a week and plan to use it every day than that's probably a better option than Oyster. Since I am only there for a day at a time the Oyster works for me.