US travelers to AU and NZ

We'll be going on a cruise from Sydney to NZ followed by a cruise in AU. Will we need to bring local currency or do the taxis and restaurants all take credit cards? If I do need to bring local currency, any suggestions where to purchase it and how much to bring? We'll be in Sydney one day pre and one day post cruise.

I also understand that we won't need to tip. Is this true everywhere in both countries?

We'll be going on a cruise from Sydney to NZ followed by a cruise in AU. Will we need to bring local currency or do the taxis and restaurants all take credit cards? If I do need to bring local currency, any suggestions where to purchase it and how much to bring? We'll be in Sydney one day pre and one day post cruise.

I also understand that we won't need to tip. Is this true everywhere in both countries?

Credits cards can be used for payment pretty much everywhere. All restaurants, shops, taxis etc.

Some smaller convenience stores may have a minimum spend requirement (usually $5-$15) but you don't come across this often.

Tipping is not a requirement anywhere in Aus or NZ. It's up to you, whether you wish to tip or not, and the amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most restaurants take credit cards. Some restaurants and all taxis (in Melbourne anyway) charge you extra for using a credit card. Not sure how much the surcharge is in taxis at the moment but in restaurants it can be as much as 2.5%.

If you go to any markets you will need cash. And for incidentals like bottles of water etc it will be cheaper to pay cash. Most convenience stores have a minimum amount you need to spend in order to pay by card. There is also a minimum spend in most bars (usually $20) if you want to pay by card.

You can get cash at the Sydney airport however the exchange rate won't be the best available.

I would look at purchasing some from home and bringing it with you.

As for tipping, as the other poster mentioned it isn't a requirement. However taxi drivers often expect it, especially if they have helped you with your bags. Tipping is always appreciated and I always tip if I get very good service in restaurants.

Most restaurants take credit cards. Some restaurants and all taxis (in Melbourne anyway) charge you extra for using a credit card. Not sure how much the surcharge is in taxis at the moment but in restaurants it can be as much as 2.5%.

If you go to any markets you will need cash. And for incidentals like bottles of water etc it will be cheaper to pay cash. Most convenience stores have a minimum amount you need to spend in order to pay by card. There is also a minimum spend in most bars (usually $20) if you want to pay by card.

You can get cash at the Sydney airport however the exchange rate won't be the best available.

I would look at purchasing some from home and bringing it with you.

As for tipping, as the other poster mentioned it isn't a requirement. However taxi drivers often expect it, especially if they have helped you with your bags. Tipping is always appreciated and I always tip if I get very good service in restaurants.

In most cases buying Australian currency before you leave in your home country will cost you more?

We are talking just a few dollars and cents here given your short time in Australia

Use a credit card for any major purchases and bring some of your currency in cash and change as much as you need as you go for smaller purchases. Plenty of places to change money and for the few cents you may save/loose in the exchange not even worth thinking about.

Australians generally don't tip unless in very special circumstances. New Zealanders, except for the funny accent, are pretty much the same as Australians. Both say please and thankyou a lot. Pleasantness is our form of tipping.

The more expensive the restaurant the more you will be expected to tip, but this is a more an aping of overseas restaurants than any requirement to fund the staff. So you don't actually have to.

Taxi drivers do not need to be tipped. However if you have American accents they will by long experience be expecting one. Please don't tip them unless they do something special for you. This is very unlikely.

Don't tip hotel staff or tour guides. Unless they save you from drowning and/or perform CPR on you.

All in all, enjoy your stay and if anybody holds out their hand, smile and give it a shake.

Don't really want to get into a tipping debate as like the others have said, it is generally not required at all.

Some restaurants (very high end) may expect a tip but generally in most other restaurants, a rounding up of the bill is sufficient rather than adding a percentage of the bill.

Yes credit cards (visa and mastercard) accepted at 99% of places here in New Zealand. American Express at probably 80% of restaurants and taxis but sometimes with 3% surcharge. USD not accepted in Australia or New Zealand so some NZ AND AUS dollars will be useful. We don't genetally accept each other's currency either. Tipping not expected here in NZ but we might if really good service - there is no % as it's not commonplace as we have a minimum hourly wage rather than relying on tips. But will be appreciated if you liked the service. If a taxi expected a tip you could probably complain as I'm sure it would be frowned upon by the regulatory body. I wouldn't normally tip a taxi here. Enjoy our countries!

This post by similar peoples from last year may help you with some of your questions (no guarantees)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showthread.php?t=2452847

That was started by user NoWhiners who did the same things as yourself, it might be worth reading some of their posts or PM'ing them for some answers.....of course we're always here to answer anyways :)

cya

bl262000

Sorry but not factual. Taxi drivers in no states "expect" to be tipped, and helping with bags has utterly no change to your fare.

Don't tip hotel staff or tour guides. Unless they save you from drowning and/or perform CPR on you.

I agree with Sinbad here - Australians are paid a living wage - tipping is neither required nor expected.

Most places, aside from the fancier restaurants, don't even give you the option to tip, just tap your card (I heard contactless payment isn't that popular in the US, but you are pretty much expected to here in AU) say thank you and go.

No experience with taxi, use consider Uber if you don't mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When we travel by taxi it is always with bags. We round up the fare to the next multiple of 10. However, on one occasion the driver refused to accept the extra. He told us he did quite well and didn't need a tip. (Surprise, surprise)

We tend to round the bill to the nearest note ($5) for taxis so we don't have to worry about getting change.

On our last cruise to Australia and New Zealand we bought $100.00 of each one's currency at our bank. We didn't use it all, but returned the unused portion when we got home. It might cost you a few dollars, but to us it was worth it to be prepared!

We did tip taxi driver's by rounding up on our credit card, but didn't tip anyone else.

Speaking of "contactless payment", we'd never heard of "tapping" our credit card! It really is a tap, not a slide or an insert. Just hit the "button" with your card!

On our last cruise to Australia and New Zealand we bought $100.00 of each one's currency at our bank. We didn't use it all, but returned the unused portion when we got home. It might cost you a few dollars, but to us it was worth it to be prepared!

We did tip taxi driver's by rounding up on our credit card, but didn't tip anyone else.

Speaking of "contactless payment", we'd never heard of "tapping" our credit card! It really is a tap, not a slide or an insert. Just hit the "button" with your card!

Like we suggested at the time;).

The other "common tip" is leaving your change on the bar.

Glad it worked out really easy for you.

Thanks for the info. I think this is what we're going to do. It's also great to know that taxis take credit cards.

Use an ATM when you get there to aquire cash. My bank in California will not charge for the exchange rate, so I'm only charged the fee for using Google and out of network atm.... max $5.