Punta Arenas Excursion info

mariaonline

Has anyone used Solo Expedeciones in Punta Arenas to visit Magdalena and Marta Islands? We are considering using their service, rather than the ship tour, and would appreciate any info...thanks, Maria

Is this a zodiac tour?? If so and you have ANY propensity to being sea sick, forget it. IT can be VERY rough. It was also VERY cold and windy. I would think twice before I did it again and bring different clothes-not warmer clothes, just different. I had on Dockers with silk long underwear and an insulated cargo coat with a hoodie underneath. Next time, I would bring my winter parka, bring a stocking hat, wear jeans, put on heavy boots and again the silk long underwear. I was dressed too nicely the first time

Better really check out the times. A lot of the private tours leave later than the ship tours and get back either after the ship leaves or right when it leaves. This is to accommodate dock space (which is very small) and also too many people on the island at one time. Some of the ships stay overnight so the later schedule works well.

If it is a ferry tour, find out WHAT the ferry accommodations are. Some of the ferries actually made the people STAY on a BUS while they were crossing. Didn't look like fun.

I have been to Magdalena Island twice-once by zodiac and once by ferry. Both were exceptional trips.

One other thing to think through with a private tour and that is whether or not you have to pay in advance. The last time we went to Punta Arenas (and we were there multiple times) we were unable to stop there. We were supposed to tender and it was much too windy for that. So, just verify how payment works and keep in mind from time to time the weather can disrupt plans whether it is time of arrival or arrival all-together.

Keith

We used them in December. You do not pre-pay. They have two boats and I would not consider them Zodiacs in the traditional sense. Yes, if you have a propensity to get motion sickness, you won't enjoy this ride. We left in the am from their office (three blocks from the pier, 10-15 min walking). Prior to being taken to the boat, we stopped for snacks and drinks. It took about 40 minutes to get to the boat. Our ride was very nice and smooth to Magdalena. The seas were getting rough en route to Marta and we only stayed a few minutes for photos. The boat has a thick plastic wind shield around 80% of it and for the most part, we were comfortable. This is the boat we went on. (Yes, we all had gloves, hats, heavy jackets, etc.) We were lucky, we had very nice weather and smooth seas. By the way, I would do this trip again with them.

194775924_BoteenAinswothII.jpg.e54fd9af75efa056b549dd80533dd46c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived