Going to Amsterdam.........

Lois R

.....For the very first time:D.....I have been reading lots of threads

on here and have found some answers but hopefully ya'll don't mind

a few more questions;)

The last time I went to Europe was in 2012 so it will be 4 years when

I finally go again.....I took a cruise to the Med (Italy, Greece, Turkey)

on Celebrity and it was fantastic:D

This time I am stepping way outside the box ( I should say ship) LOL

and I am taking a RIVER CRUISE and I am really excited about it too.:)

Going on a trip called TULIP TIME;)....sailing in April 2016.....The

Netherlands and Belgium are on the itinerary. My first time visiting all

of these places too. My cruise is on AMA Waterways.

I haven't booked my airfare yet but I am going to book my hotel.

I have read Doubletree is very convenient~can walk to the ship?

It is a bit pricey but probably worth it.

I am going to be arriving a day early and a few things I am wanting

to know.....are cabs readily available from the airport to the hotel?

I travel on my own and just wondering if I should get a "car service"?

Last time (back in 2012), the B&B in Rome (whereI I stayed) had a

car service they used...the driver picked me up at the airport. Just

wondering if AMS is set up differently and a cab would be just as good

this trip?

I also want to see Anne Frank's house......is the purchasing of my ticket

ahead of time the best way to go on this?

And are there plenty of restaurants nearby the hotel?

Oh, my other question is about money.....I did things a bit differently

on that first trip.......I got all my Euros here at home before I left.

I know some folks say that is not the way to do it but I felt much more

comfortable having everything I needed with me after stepping off

the plane (It is was my first time to Europe)........anyway, this time,

the River Cruise supplies ALL my excursions so I won't need any $

for them....(except for tips)......and other smaller stuff.......I always

travel with multiple credit cards..........and some US $

but I realize I need Euros while in Europe.......is there a way

to get "some" Euros here at home....a starter kit? And I am guessing

there are ATM's near the hotel where I can get the rest of my $ there?

Or at the airport?

Thank you for your patience and answers........I am soooo looking

forward to seeing everything:)

Edited by Lois R

I just replied on some question on the rivercruise board re cabs and transportation. No hotel in town offers shuttle service but in the other board I gave you some options.

Yes Doubletree is a bit expensive, but an great location, around Centraal station some other options are:

Park Plaza Victoria (older classic hotel), Barbizon Plaza, Renaissance Hotel, more simple but affordable Ibis Centraal station, Inntel, Crown Plaza.

By using Booking.com (without making a reservation yet), you can easily check location and reviews.

Absolutely make online reservation for Anne Frankhuis, keep checking their website and book as early as possible. Lines can be very long, waiting time for 2 hours happens often.

I heard some people ordered Euros at AAA before or indeed change at the airportr or use ATM;s.

Tell me if you need more information.

I also want to see Anne Frank's house......is the purchasing of my ticket ahead of time the best way to go on this?

Lines are always long for this must-do destination. Definitely buy tickets online in advance.

Oh, my other question is about money.....I did things a bit differently on that first trip.......I got all my Euros here at home before I left. I know some folks say that is not the way to do it but I felt much more comfortable having everything I needed with me after stepping off the plane (It is was my first time to Europe)........anyway, this time,

the River Cruise supplies ALL my excursions so I won't need any $

for them....(except for tips)......and other smaller stuff.......I always

travel with multiple credit cards..........and some US $

but I realize I need Euros while in Europe.......is there a way

to get "some" Euros here at home....a starter kit? And I am guessing

there are ATM's near the hotel where I can get the rest of my $ there?

Or at the airport?

If you were happy with the price and the process you used last time for getting Euro before your trip, just use the same source this time, too.

Cash machines are widely available. Often, the bank that manages your charge card has a web page showing the location of all the Visa or MasterCard cash machines at your destination. Check online for the locations most convenient to you.

Hi Lois, I've been reading your posts on the River cruise. Enjoy.

Absolutely positively buy tickets on line for Anne Frank. Our hotel was nearby and we routinely saw two and three block lines. We booked the first available time slot in the AM on the morning we were to embark, 8:40 as I recall.

If you have time investigate walking tours, we used Sandeman. Meeting point is dam square which is centrally located. The city is walkable but confusing because the canals all look alike. We had our concierge map out walk every time we went out.

Taxis are readily available at the airport but we took a hotel shuttle to save a few bucks. This shuttle van drops off at any central Amsteram hotel. I don't remember the price but cheaper than a taxi. The meeting point is outside the airport terminal near the taxi stand and you can buy tickets on board. Look for signs or ask at information.

I am looking at the Banks Mansion for my hotel for one night pre-cruise.

It looks really nice and gets very good reviews on here and on Trip

Advisor. Is this near Anne Frank's House? And how far from the dock?

(River cruise)....oh and the hotel has breakfast included in the price.

Ine, I looked at some of your hotel suggestions:) for one reason

or another they didn't work for me.

I thought you were looking for a hotel near Centraal Station, that is why I mentioned them.

Yes Banks Mansion is a very good hotel, more or less city center, not too far to Rembrandtplein. Friends often stay here.

If you are a good walker, Anne Frankhuis is doable.

Check these maps:

Cruiseterminal is on B 5

Banks Mantion C4

Anne Frankhuis B 3.

http://www.amsterdam.info/print/map/

Other nice hotels are Hotel Esterea, Ambassade Hotel, Times Hotel ( closer to AF huis), just to name a few. Of course the choice is wide in Amsterdam.

Edited by Ine

Personally I felt Ann Frank's house was just full of tourists ticking off a box, not knowing what they should be looking at in the empty house.

I found the most chilling part was the display of the concentration camp index cards at the end. It takes a special kind of mindset to catalogue all the people you plan to murder.

I found the Verzetsmuseum (Dutch Resistance Museum) far more thought provoking. It sets out in a timeline the choices the occupied population made to resist, collaborate, or ignore the invading forces, and how individual decisions changed over time.

I thought you were looking for a hotel near Centraal Station, that is why I mentioned them.

Yes Banks Mansion is a very good hotel, more or less city center, not too far to Rembrandtplein. Friends often stay here.

If you are a good walker, Anne Frankhuis is doable.

Check these maps:

Cruiseterminal is on B 5

Banks Mantion C4

Anne Frankhuis B 3.

http://www.amsterdam.info/print/map/

Other nice hotels are Hotel Esterea, Ambassade Hotel, Times Hotel ( closer to AF huis), just to name a few. Of course the choice is wide in Amsterdam.

Hi:)...I decided to read more about other areas...originally I was

looking at Central Station but The Banks Mansion looks so nice:)

Figure I can take a cab to the ship......I do that all the time in

other cities;)

Personally I felt Ann Frank's house was just full of tourists ticking off a box, not knowing what they should be looking at in the empty house.

I found the most chilling part was the display of the concentration camp index cards at the end. It takes a special kind of mindset to catalogue all the people you plan to murder.

I found the Verzetsmuseum (Dutch Resistance Museum) far more thought provoking. It sets out in a timeline the choices the occupied population made to resist, collaborate, or ignore the invading forces, and how individual decisions changed over time.

I was raised learning all about it so I don't consider myself a person

"ticking off a box"....but I am sure some people do that.......

Hi:)...I decided to read more about other areas...originally I was

looking at Central Station but The Banks Mansion looks so nice:)

Figure I can take a cab to the ship......I do that all the time in

other cities;)

Let the hotel arrange it, then it will be no problem.

Let the hotel arrange it, then it will be no problem.

Thanks Ina, I will have them arrange it:)...looks like you are the

Amsterdam expert:D...thanks for all the help!

We are planning a 2 night stay post cruise in Amsterdam in May. Has anyone any current information on the NH Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky? The reviews seem good and the location in the city center seems perfect for sightseeing. How far is it from the cruise ship docking? Would we need to take a cab?

Can we take a train to the airport with our luggage? Any information would be helpful as we've never been there.

We are planning a 2 night stay post cruise in Amsterdam in May. Has anyone any current information on the NH Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky? The reviews seem good and the location in the city center seems perfect for sightseeing. How far is it from the cruise ship docking? Would we need to take a cab?

Can we take a train to the airport with our luggage? Any information would be helpful as we've never been there.

Krasnapolsky is right on Dam square, opposite the royal Palace. It is an older, yet renovated classic hotel.

It is a short cabride from Centraal Station and to the cruise terminal.

You can take luggage in the train, but there is not so much storage. Stay with your luggage at all times and realise you have to put it into/from the train yourself while other passengers are getting off/in.

As I mentioned earlier, I booked The Banks:)

I did notice something when looking at various hotels, B&B's, etc.....

Many of them have at least a 2 night minimum needed to book.

So happy to have found a nice place without that policy.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend:)

Krasnapolsky is right on Dam square, opposite the royal Palace. It is an older, yet renovated classic hotel.

It is a short cabride from Centraal Station and to the cruise terminal.

You can take luggage in the train, but there is not so much storage. Stay with your luggage at all times and realise you have to put it into/from the train yourself while other passengers are getting off/in.

Thanks for the response. We are still looking-we aren't going to be there until May, 2016 so we have time. Now, we have started to look at airb n b .com. Has anyone used them? Seems like there's a lot of reasonably priced and well located places listed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ine....if you are around:)......just want some advice...I booked

a room at The Banks...it is about 250 euros and includes breakfast:)

The Moevenpick is about the same price and also includes breakfast.

Would you keep the Banks reservation? I know the Moevenpick is closer

to the ship but the Banks looks nicer (to me).

Any thoughts?

Hi Ine....if you are around:)......just want some advice...I booked

a room at The Banks...it is about 250 euros and includes breakfast:)

The Moevenpick is about the same price and also includes breakfast.

Would you keep the Banks reservation? I know the Moevenpick is closer

to the ship but the Banks looks nicer (to me).

Any thoughts?

Both hotels are nice. Banks Mansion is situated along one of the canals more or less city center. Friends of us love to stay there. If you intend to do some sighseeing, having dinner outside the hotel (many restaurants on Rembrandtplein and other places not too farf from the hotel), Banks Mansion is of course nicer.

Movenpick is excellent if you just want to have a hotel for the night, it is a bit outside the center, but of course on top of the cruise terminal.

Edited by Ine

This time I am stepping way outside the box ( I should say ship) LOL

and I am taking a RIVER CRUISE and I am really excited about it too.:)

Going on a trip called TULIP TIME;)....sailing in April 2016.....The

Netherlands and Belgium are on the itinerary. My first time visiting all

of these places too. My cruise is on AMA Waterways.

I had a quick look at your cruise itinerary. AMA have a very good reputation and I am sure you will be well looked after. Canal cruising is very different to being at sea.. No waves for a start, but you do get the occasional bump going through the locks - those boats only just fit.

If you are thinking about excursions, the inclusive walking tours are usually excellent, and on our trip, they divided us up according to ability so that the energetic were not held back by the dodderers :)

For optional excursions, the only one I think you should consider is the trip to Bruges. This is a very pretty place and chocolate heaven if you like that. Just don't buy the lace which is mostly imported.

Both hotels are nice. Banks Mansion is situated along one of the canals more or less city center. Friends of us love to stay there. If you intend to do some sighseeing, having dinner outside the hotel (many restaurants on Rembrandtplein and other places not too farf from the hotel), Banks Mansion is of course nicer.

Movenpick is excellent if you just want to have a hotel for the night, it is a bit outside the center, but of course on top of the cruise terminal.

Hi Ine, thanks for the reply. I will stay where I am:)