Required visas

Barrycat

Two years ago we did the Dubai to Athens cruise which included Egypt and Jordan ports. It was such a great itinerary that we decided to repeat this itinerary in reverse as part of the 34 day Athens to Singapore cruise this October. Last week we received an email from Windstar stating that we were responsible for securing visas for the countries requiring them. This is a change from our previous cruise when Windstar somehow secured the necessary visas for everyone on board in both Egypt and Jordan.

This change is not insignificant, it is both complicated and expensive. Our options are to use a visa service recommended by Windstar which will cost close to $1000 in service and consular fees for the four required visas. The other option is to do the applications and deal directly with the individual consuls, a savings of about $600 but potentially nerve racking.

I'm just disappointed that in Windstar's continuing cost cutting efforts, they have now dumped this on us, and secondly, we were informed of this with just two months to get this done.

My guess is that some might face denied boarding because they have not secured the necessary visas. That would be a shame.

On my last cruise, which had a port stop in Turkey, I received an email from Windstar instructing me I needed a visa. I knew I didn't, but got one anyway, as it was easy to do online and inexpensive.

I think sometimes people (not you) forget they may need to obtain visas, at added costs.

I am sure there are many reasons why WS was able to secure your visas in Egypt and Jordan however had to secure my visa for Turkey while cruising with WS. Perhaps your cruise is going to other countries where they mandate visas, perhaps Egypt and Jordan have changed their rules for issuing visas. If you have Global Entry securing a visa is relatively easy but it is timely. Sounds like a great trip. Have fun.

Me again. We were in Turkey on a Windstar as well, no requirement fo US to acquire a visa. Another example of the fact that the Windstar policy has changed from one where the company has handled visas, in our case two different cruises three different countries, to giving the responsibility to the customer.

NCL has a nice page linked below. If you go about halfway down the page there is a summary for US Citizens:

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/cruise-travel-documents#visa-requirements

I also googled a little bit and found that searching for

[country] cruise ship visa

gives lots of good results. This page from CruiseCritic covers some of your areas:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1764686

I would just search for each country that way. Our Singapore/Dubai cruise stopped in Thailand and Malaysia as well as India, and the only visa we needed was India.

I do know that visas for India are required as we left some pax behind in Singapore who hadn't obtained them. And in a bit of a frenzy one couple who was continuing after a Singapore/Singapore leg found out about the Indian visa need while on board that leg. Through a combination of working with WS, the US Embassy in Singapore and the Indian authorities they managed to jump off ship in Singapore and make it to the Indian visa office to get it on the spot and then back to the ship in time for embarkation. But I think they were very lucky!

Visa issuance is handled by the individual countries and not the US, so Global Entry membership does nothing to change the process.

Every country will be different, some require visas, some issue each cruise a global visa for the entire ship, some issue them individually on board ship before disembarkation. (Now that I type this I think this may have happened to us in at least one country, I remember looking at the stamp that magically appeared in my passport.) Turkey doesn't require visas for cruise ship pax, and their entire procedure is really just a tourist tax, you apply online and the visa is issued in a couple seconds. NOTE: if you plan to embark in a country and/or spend time there after the cruise you still need to obtain a visa if normally required.

For normal travel, one could go to the US State Department website which maintains a list of visa requirements for various countries, but many countries have special conditions for cruise ships, making it harder to sort through.

Global Entry, my experience only, does not change the process by any means, it just makes acquiring one faster. Perhaps because we are in the system and have been vetted, finger printed etc. We pickec up the WS cruise in Istanbul and it was cheaper to have the visa in hand upon arrival rather than getting it at the airport, yes like Chile it really seems like a tax. The state department clearly advises that acquiring a visa is the sole reponsibility of the traveler. I can see how traveling to multiple countries would be time consuming getting a visa. Still sounds like a great trip and a great price, wish I had noticed it, I wonder now about myself! Happy Sailing.

It does sound like a great trip. As I said, we did half of it two years ago and laoved it. In my mind two trips to Petra and Dubai as well as Valley of thr Kings is not too many. They are must see sights. We were originally booked on the Hong Kong to Bangkok for fourteen days and then Windstar announced a sale on this thirty four day itinerary at the same price. A no brainer for us despite lots of sea days.

Now getting visas for Egypt, Jordan, Oman, India and Sri Lanka will be my job for a few days. No question that it will be worth it. I just wish that Windstar would handle this chore for their customers on an organized basis as some other cruise lines do and as Windstar used to do.

You might want to check with your travel agent to see if there is a local visa processing company that could help with this. You may need photos for each country that are different sizes than those required for US passports and even different photo requirements. That may drive you crazy. We just got China visas for a Uniworld trip to China and had a lot of photo requirements: no glasses, ears showing, no smiling, etc. the Uniworld recommended visa processing company was more than double the cost of the local company and would have kept our passports for a month vs. one week.

We went on a cruise with Windstar that started in Istanbul 5 years ago and had to obtain our own visas. As I recall we got them in the airport upon arrival for $20 each ( crisp fresh US $20 bills required). It was like a tax to enter the country - show your passport and pay the fee.

You might want to check with your travel agent to see if there is a local visa processing company that could help with this. You may need photos for each country that are different sizes than those required for US passports and even different photo requirements. That may drive you crazy. We just got China visas for a Uniworld trip to China and had a lot of photo requirements: no glasses, ears showing, no smiling, etc. the Uniworld recommended visa processing company was more than double the cost of the local company and would have kept our passports for a month vs. one week.

We went on a cruise with Windstar that started in Istanbul 5 years ago and had to obtain our own visas. As I recall we got them in the airport upon arrival for $20 each ( crisp fresh US $20 bills required). It was like a tax to enter the country - show your passport and pay the fee.

The Turkish visa process is now done online, and it look like 5 minutes, max. Fill in a few fields, add your credit card number and you get a pdf you print out. That simple.

The reason you needed your own visa was because you were landing in Instanbul on your own, before joining the cruise.

Hi All-

Am cruising to Middle East and so CONFUSED about visa requirements. Booked in April and just got message from Windstar about necessity to obtain own visas. But as I understand from each country's website, visas are available upon arrival at each port for Oman, Egypt, Jordan and Dubai. I, too, contacted a visa expediter and was told it would cost around $1000 for them to secure visas in advance. I have emailed Windstar 3 times asking specific questions:

May I board in Athens without advance visas, and

Do I disembark at each port to get a visa, or do customs officials come aboard and issue visas

NO RESPONSE. Have traveled many times on Windstar and never had a problem getting a question answered. What's up this time?????

Confusing yes. We need visas for Egypt, Jordan, Oman, India, Sri Lanka for our October trip. As mentioned earlier, on a similar Windstar trip in 2015 this was all handled by Windstar, not now.

I am in the process of getting our visas now. I'm using VisaCentral for the two that I want help on and the other three I'm doing on my own. Two of those three appear to simply be e-visas which can be handled on line. The other, from Jordan, is through a very cooperative consul that I think I can handle myself.

VisaCentral is expensive. At least $80 per visa per person as a service charge plus any consular fees, so I'm using them only when needed.

I agree that it appears that some countries allow securing visas upon arrival, but that can depend on where you arrive. Not all ports have that facility. Also I don't have confidence enough in Windstar's professionalism in this area to want to risk denied boarding in Athens because I'm missing a required visa, even though I was told I could secure on on arrival in port.

It's a huge hassle and I don't think Windstar thought this through before dumping this on us unlike some other lines. I think I can handle securing our visas but as I get further in to the details, I think it will be a challenge for some of the customers unless they just turn it all over to one of the visa services, for well over $1000 on this trip

Thanks so much. Grudgingly, I think you are correct. Will just use visa service and write another check...But really disappointed in Windstar and won't cruise them again. Am hoping they have done a better job vetting ports and shore excursions. Also concerned that they are prepared for necessary security. We loved Egypt in 2 prior visits and so look forward to the other stops new to us as well. Just a shame Windstar has caused so much angst. Am sure their reviews will plummet over this mistake...

While those who post and read frequently will know that I'm far from a WS apologist, I do point out that their policy on Visas is clearly stated on their website:

https://www.windstarcruises.com/voyage-plan/cruise-documents/

Could they be more helpful - CERTAINLY! but my point is that they make their stance clear on the website and it was easy to find. I just googled windstar visas and the page was one of the first hits.

Being a visa broker is a special service, and I guess they decided it would be better to leave it to the experts. I'm a bit surprised they don't spell out which visas you'll need, but regulations change all the time, and I suspect they don't want to be in the position of giving out incorrect or obsolete information.

In terms of security. I wouldn't worry. We have an armed crew of experts board the ship at some point before India and they stayed with the ship to Dubai.

All this is one reason I use a travel agent - before our cruise that reguired visas he sent me a message with "you need visas for xxx, no immunizations are required but I suggest you get "yyy".

You make a point BUT two years ago we did three of the same ports with Windstar and the subject of visas never came up, the company handled them. The information may be available easily but based on my earlier experience there really should be no need for me to Google Windstar Visas. If there is a change in policy, it should be the responsibility of Windstar to inform their customers that that change has taken place, and to inform them on a timely basis. Timely would ideally be when a deposit is made but certainly no later than final payment.

My point is that Windstar should take the responsibility to clearly inform their customers of what they NEED to know and not expect them to seek that information out.

The problem with being a long time Windstar customer is that we remember when service and amenities were part of the Windstar cruise experience. Their position now is apparently to nickel and dime the experience whenever possible and it shows. Eventually people will have had enough and will pick one of the many competitors.

You make a point BUT two years ago we did three of the same ports with Windstar and the subject of visas never came up, the company handled them. The information may be available easily but based on my earlier experience there really should be no need for me to Google Windstar Visas. If there is a change in policy, it should be the responsibility of Windstar to inform their customers that that change has taken place, and to inform them on a timely basis. Timely would ideally be when a deposit is made but certainly no later than final payment.

My point is that Windstar should take the responsibility to clearly inform their customers of what they NEED to know and not expect them to seek that information out.

The problem with being a long time Windstar customer is that we remember when service and amenities were part of the Windstar cruise experience. Their position now is apparently to nickel and dime the experience whenever possible and it shows. Eventually people will have had enough and will pick one of the many competitors.

Let;s look at the competitors.

NCL - sends you to an agency visacentral.com where you fill out all the forms and pay for the visa. This is not an NCL service

Royal Caribbian: It is the sole responsibility of the guest to identify and obtain all required travel documents for the entire cruise vacation and have them available when necessary. These appropriate, valid travel documents - passports, visas, family legal documents and inoculation certificates - are required for boarding and re-entry into the United States and other countries. [bolding mine in all cases]

Carnival: Carnival requires guests to provide proper travel documentation in order to travel. The documentation is required at embarkation and throughout the cruise and is the responsibility of the guest. Our policy states that any guest traveling without proper documentation will be denied boarding the ship and will be under full penalty, and therefore, will not be offered a refund or a replacement cruise. Guests must contact the appropriate embassy or consulate of the countries they will be visiting for specific travel documentation requirements. Carnival assumes no responsibility for advising guests of Immigration requirements. [bolding mine]

Princess: This information is provided as general guidance. Because governmental travel requirements change periodically, you must check with your travel agent or the government authorities for all countries you will visit to determine or verify the actual requirements at the time of sailing. Princess assumes no responsibility for advising guests of such requirements.

Disney: The following guidelines are based on government regulations, which are subject to change at any time. It is your responsibility to check with your travel agent, government agency, embassy or consulate to ensure that you have all the proper documentation to board the ship and enter each of the countries on the ship's itinerary.

Seabourn: Has an information page, but their policy is: PLEASE NOTE: In addition, visas or other documents may be required, depending on your citizenship or residency and the itinerary. It is your sole responsibility to obtain all necessary documents for all ports of call on your itinerary. Requirements for your voyage may be found on Seabourn’s website or by calling your travel professional, Seabourn, or a professional visa service. Boarding may be denied or fines levied against those guests without proper documentation. Payment of any fines levied is the responsibility of the individual guest.

Crystal: It is the responsibility of each guest to have his or her travel documents in order prior to traveling. Here’s what you need to know... They do contract with an outside firm as does NCL, but it's a link to a visa agency.

Thank you milepig for the good info. I do not see how/ why WS should be responsible for VISAS especially since the rules are always changing. There are certain things in life that we are solely responsible for. I have been fortunate to have done a lot of traveling and it always has been a given about VISAs. Perhaps the cruise two years ago the Visas were included because the rules at the time accepted cruise visas but with our dangerous world things have changed. Perhaps there should be a statement on the WS reservation that VISAs are the sole responsibility of the passengers. I do not think this a nickel and dime situation or a service problem. I think it is a direct reflection of thw world we live in. What a great trip ahead, happy sailing.

There was a paragraph break there in case you didn't notice.

Nickel and dime refers to the overall cruise experience not specifically visas. For those of us who have been with Windstar for awhile, one cannot help but notice a drip drip drip diminishing of booking goodies offered over time. That given, we are now planning our eighth

Since 2013 we have been on six WS cruises and haven't noticed a reduction in "booking goodies" or a propensity to "nickel & dime". So I am curious, besides the visas what booking goodies don't you get that you used to receive and/or what specifically have they done or not done that constitutes nickel & dime.?

I am with you Alturia, we have been on a WS cruise 20 times. When we first started the Surf had only 2 dining venues the main dining room and the bistro, sodas, speciality coffees, water bottles were extra. Our first cruise 1999 out of St. Thomas it was a two for one $2000 each, two days after Thanksgiving, to be honest the plane fare was included if you flew down the same day as the cruise and back the same day at the end of the cruise if you wanted a day between $75x2 extra. My time anxiety required thay we pay the extra. That fare was more then than now for that time period with airfare. For example: Tall Ships, everyday there was a treat: hat, special drink etc., crossing the Pacific 19 days ( I recall 1500 pp ) we had free champagne all the time ( celbrating seeing the Ils des Disappointments, celebrating a new rug for the bridge, celebtating crossing the equator, celbrating arriving in Tahiti and being greeted by the President of Tahiti and on and on, they have added the chef's tour ) I do not see a reduction in service or amenities. We love WS, it fits us, simply nice, not ostentatious, we are also very easy people, we think a good value as well. Happy Sailing.

We still love Windstar, think the experience is first class, and will continue to sail with them. Currently booked.

In answer to Alturia's question

Free wi fi

Free on board credit

Free laundry

Free excursions

Upgrades

Plus, I'll leave it at that

We still love Windstar, think the experience is first class, and will continue to sail with them. Currently booked.

In answer to Alturia's question

Free wi fi

Free on board credit

Free laundry

Free excursions

Upgrades

Plus, I'll leave it at that

I have had most if not all of these in the past couple years. Always as part of a booking incentive package. If there are fewer now (which I sort of sense) that is likely a good thing for WS as it would mean they don't need to throw freebies at people to fill the ships.

Free wifi - part of an incentive package on a recent Itin.

On board credit - should be automatically offered to Alumni cruisers

Free laundry - I've used the shipboard credit for that, so free in that sense

Free excursions - this seems to be itin specific. On our Spanish Wine cruise we got an excursion each day. On one other I remember receiving one excursion.

Upgrades - still available. You go the the reception desk at embarcation and ask, they'll either say "we're full" or put you on a list. They'll notify you later that afternoon. We've been upgraded to another cabin in the same class but in a better location. We've also been offered an upgrade to a better cabin for a fee, but have turned those down as the cost didn't seem worth it.

We've also had the booze package included - indeed we just booked this for Japan next Spring.

I've also seen pre/post cruise hotel packages offered.

The deals are out there, in our case it seems like we've gotten the best packages when we book early. They also appear last minute, but we can't do last minute travel.

I view incentives as a little gift from the gods. Always nice when the appear, but I don't expect them.

Past cruises with the alumni offers we have always been offered upgrades on the sailing ships but we always like where we are so We refuse. we have always received on board credit, this b2b in January free laundry, do not drink enough for free liquor do not care, do not use WIFI on trips/ vacation need to escape it, We are happy WS is doing better not a good omen when it went bankrupt, happy more people are enjoying the experience. We are more interested in the great service, the great food, great places, hearing 1492 which we never tire of, than counting freebies, they are simply added frosting on the cake. Barrycat happy you like it as well, your future trip indeed sounds great.