Naha, Okinawa Cruise Dock?

SilvertoGold

Does anyone know where the cruiseship dock is in Naha?

There is supposed to be a new cruise pier in 2009, but I can't find out if it is functioning yet and if it is in the area across the water from the airport.

Thanks for any information.

SilvertoGold

Here is what the Naha Port Authority web site says;

According to the development plan, the functions of the four terminals will be restructured. The Naha Terminal will serve ferries and passenger ships between neighboring islands. The Tomari Terminal will specialize in tourism, passenger vessels, and sightseeing boats. The Shinko Terminal will continue to serve international container traffic with separate logistics zones for international and domestic cargoes. The Urasoe Terminal will be a marine protection zone and coastal resort zone. It will also support port-related industries.

Sounds like all they are doing is keeping the same docks just redefining their use.

A rough measurement on Google Earth says the port is about 2.5 miles as the crow flies from airport to ship terminal. This is measured from the airport terminal bldg. "across the water" to the terminal area. It would be farther by car.

We were on the Costa Classica this past June.

We were in the container port, berth 6 which was the farthest from the bus stop.

It was about 10 long city blocks to walk to the bus stop in the rain.

You can read my review which has details on each port of call & the public transit info.

Cruisingly Yours

We want to drive up to Kadena AFB during the day....does anyone have any idea about rental cars in the area of the cruise terminal, or does a public bus go that direction???

Thanks,

Helen

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2024.html

http://www.japan-guide.com/ad/coocom2.html

a couple of sites about rental cars. also you might want to read this page: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2024.html

it appears that you are required to have an international drivers license in Japan. I know AAA can provide one as I have gotten one from them before. It appears that the rental car companies are downtown Naha which appears to be not far from the ports.

Thank you very much.......this information is very helpful and we do appreciate it...we notice the excursions from the ship only offer the mundane things so we really want to do this...(I used to teach at Kadena)....

Helen

Another thought......how plentiful are the taxis around the pier (if there are any)?????? I wonder if we would be able to hire a driver for the day.....that is pretty abundant in the Asian ports.....

Helen

Looking forward to this port as our kids are stationed at Kadena. Don't have a clue what's there, but it will be nice to have "private" tour guides.

You are in for a real treat....I lived on the Island for 3 years, and I taught at Kadena.....the area is abundant with history and many things to see and do. I am sure your kids can give you a pretty good high light of what is there. Have them take you to WHITE BEACH.....THIS is the area where the Japanese jumped off the cliffs as the war was winding down.

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

We will be stopping here on our cruise next year but I have heard the cruise excursions are not that good. I would like to get a good look around and get a feel for the island. Does anyone know if it is a good option to organize a private tour for this port? I speak basic japanese.

• 1 month later...
You are in for a real treat....I lived on the Island for 3 years, and I taught at Kadena.....the area is abundant with history and many things to see and do. I am sure your kids can give you a pretty good high light of what is there. Have them take you to WHITE BEACH.....THIS is the area where the Japanese jumped off the cliffs as the war was winding down.

no HIJACKING intended here...just looking around for a CRUISE that goes to OKINAWA...i spent 3 1/2 years growing up at KADENA i would just LOVE to set foot on the island again....what years were you there?

these were some of the BEST YEARs of my LIFE....LOVED OKINAWA:)

Another thought......how plentiful are the taxis around the pier (if there are any)?????? I wonder if we would be able to hire a driver for the day.....that is pretty abundant in the Asian ports.....

Helen

there were A LOT of taxis available. the tourist info. tent is located on the dock. they can set you up. be aware the cabbies do not speak english for the most part and the rates are VERY expensive.

Archived