Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday

LAFFNVEGAS

Your proposal seems like a good solution except for the folks who think that they have the right to consume unlimited wine in their room and not have to pay a corkage fee.

Have you ever noticed if the same people who hauled on wine are also walking in to the dinning room with a glass of wine in their hand?

Just wondering....

How very reassuring indeed.

You must be feeling reassured after seeing the other post (above) ;);)

Never fear, on our last cruise we saw several people bring their wine glasses in the dining room. They had all purchased it in the Crow's Nest. How do I know?? Because we were in the Crow's Nest too;)

Never fear, on our last cruise we saw several people bring their wine glasses in the dining room. They had all purchased it in the Crow's Nest. How do I know?? Because we were in the Crow's Nest too;)

It would be hard for him to do an accurate survey unless he plans to stand outside the dining room with a clipboard and challenge everyone who is carrying a glass as to the origin of the wine. Otherwise his statistics could be skewed. (Had to really check that I wasn't autocorrected on this one :))

There are also those who boast about bringing their own wine into the dining room (right here on cruise critic)Hal reads...Hal adjusts

I am glad to see that HAL is no longer allowing people to bring on cases of wine.

Had anyone ever stopped to think that most wouldn't need to bring any wine on board if HAL would have a decent wine list to begin with.? I am just saying .. I don't mind paying $25.00 a bottle corkage for a wine I know and like.. and as I view it $25.00 is more revenue generated than let us say a no sale....!?

Had anyone ever stopped to think that most wouldn't need to bring any wine on board if HAL would have a decent wine list to begin with.? I am just saying .. I don't mind paying $25.00 a bottle corkage for a wine I know and like.. and as I view it $25.00 is more revenue generated than let us say a no sale....!?

Yes, it has been mentioned many times in the various threads on the topic. It just makes too much sense.:rolleyes:

As for carrying a wine glass into the dining room, I don't understand why the two posters on here get so knotted up about people who bring a drink from the lounge. The Ocean Bar has always been our stop-off before and after dinner on recent cruises, and taking it in with you from the bar is pretty much the only way you can get a glass of wine with your dinner. But some posters insist they knows otherwise and just keep the lame old argument going.

As for carrying a wine glass into the dining room, I don't understand why the two posters on here get so knotted up about people who bring a drink from the lounge.

There was a time and some of you may remember when you started to bring a glass into the dining room a crew member would great you at the MDR door and carry it to your table for you.. my my how times have changed.

There was a time and some of you may remember when you started to bring a glass into the dining room a crew member would great you at the MDR door and carry it to your table for you.. my my how times have changed.

Gosh you've got a good memory:) Yep, many moons ago, it was all so gracious.

I always remember occasions when exceptional service is more than a snappy slogan! :D

I remember the speech given by the CD on the last day of the cruise (circa early 1980's). They said they could not discuss gratuities, and would only say that HAL's philosophy was that tipping should be for exceptional, not expected service.

I was on the Noordam 3 shortly after the bars went to Philippine crew. Bartenders in one of the lounges put a box on the bar that said "Tips for the boys". The box was there for less than an hour and they went home at the next port.

Was a very nice touch for them to carry your drinks through the dining room/ Also very smart as in rough seas -many passengers would have worn drinks of non sure footed passengers.

• 1 year later...
The New Wine Policy went into effect yesterday on Hollands America Ships.

ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES BROUGHT ON BOARD

Each guest 21 years and older may bring one bottle of wine or

champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in their

carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage. Guests

are not allowed to bring beer, boxed wine, or other liquors

and spirits onboard. Holland America Line reserves the

right to remove all alcoholic beverages from guest luggage

that violates this policy. Any alcoholic beverage found

will be removed and returned on the last evening of the

voyage. Guests will not receive any monetary compensation

for alcoholic beverages that were removed from luggage.

Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of calls or

from onboard shops will be stored and returned on the last

evening of the voyage. A corkage fee of US$20.00 (subject

to change) applies to wine and champagne brought to the

restaurants or bars for consumption. In-Room Dining offers

reduced-price stateroom beverage packages for in-stateroom

consumption of alcoholic beverages (a 15% Service Charge

on all beverage items and packages with beverages will be

added).

Guests who violate any of our alcohol policies (e.g., attempt

to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check

points or any other time, provide alcohol to guests under age

21, over consume, or demonstrate irresponsible behavior),

may be denied boarding or may be disembarked at their

own expense.

It has already been updated in the online "What you need to know" booklet on page 6

http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-onboard/KBYG.pdf

I cannot find the statement "guests who violate .....may be denied boarding or disembarked?" Would they really kick off us "rum runners"??is that new? I just do not see it anywhere... thanks

I cannot find the statement "guests who violate .....may be denied boarding or disembarked?" Would they really kick off us "rum runners"??is that new? I just do not see it anywhere... thanks

You realize you are asking about a policy that was announced almost a year and a half ago, and was never implemented? :confused:

It was changed, twice, before a final version was implemented.

A couple of comments about the wine/drink rules vis a vis our recent 38 days on the Oosterdam. We met several passengers (Canadians) who had their excess wine confiscated at check-in. One of those folks had several bottles in his checked luggage and it was found via x-ray. They were allowed to keep their wine upon paying the $18 per bottle charge...and these folks were not happy. It was possible to smuggle wine aboard at a couple of the intervening ports as the x-ray was done by the port authorities (who could care less about booze) and there was no further check upon boarding the ship. As to violating the policy (or using Rum Runners), it is unlikely anything would be done as long as the passenger does not mis-behave.

Hank

Beg to differ Ruth we have done two cruises this year, one in May and the other in August and in both cases they made certain that I only carried on one bottle pp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find that the first thing they offer is to take the wine. When I said I will pay corkage they did it. I think confiscating is an assumption. I suggest next time you say you will pay corkage (assuming it is wine and not liquor).

A couple of comments about the wine/drink rules vis a vis our recent 38 days on the Oosterdam. We met several passengers (Canadians) who had their excess wine confiscated at check-in. One of those folks had several bottles in his checked luggage and it was found via x-ray. They were allowed to keep their wine upon paying the $18 per bottle charge...and these folks were not happy. It was possible to smuggle wine aboard at a couple of the intervening ports as the x-ray was done by the port authorities (who could care less about booze) and there was no further check upon boarding the ship. As to violating the policy (or using Rum Runners), it is unlikely anything would be done as long as the passenger does not mis-behave.

Hank

Refer my quote above. I saw a lot of wine confiscated because it is assumed that you don't want to pay the corkage fee.

As for Rum Runners, I have no desire to be called to the naughty room. IMO HAL charges a not bad price for liquor so if you want liquor, why not just order it from HAL?

Kazu I did not take on more than one bottle pp since that is the new rule for quite some time. I knew I could take one pp but the security person made certain that's all I had, paying the corkage is silly to us since we get 50% off wine packages. We carry on for room consumption only.

Beg to differ Ruth we have done two cruises this year, one in May and the other in August and in both cases they made certain that I only carried on one bottle pp.

Differ on what?

The policy referred to in this thread was no wine was to be brought on board by passengers, effective immediately.

The first change, within a few days, was to delay implementation of the policy until January '14.

The second change, coming within a few days of the January '14 implementation, was to allow one bottle per adult without charge (for in-cabin consumption), and as many additional bottles as a passenger could carry---both at embarkation and ports---so long as they paid a corkage fee.

If you were not allowed to bring the additional bottles on board, that does not change what the policy is. It means it was improperly applied in your case.

Kazu I did not take on more than one bottle pp since that is the new rule for quite some time. I knew I could take one pp but the security person made certain that's all I had, paying the corkage is silly to us since we get 50% off wine packages. We carry on for room consumption only.

ahh sorry if I misread your post.

I have no problem to pay corkage when I am in Europe and other places with nice wine findings. :)

I am quite familiar with the rules - I have several sailings since they came into place.

We too get the 50% off but.....sometimes there are other offerings in ports that we can not get here and after 30 days, the same wines can get tiresome :);)

Smooth seas :D

You had indicated it was a policy from a year and a half ago but never implemented, apparently I misinterpreted your comment, sorry. I knew the policy had been in effect for some time since we have cruised several times and they have made certain we followed the "law"!

They definitely do not limit you to one bottle per person. You may bring more, as long as you present your wine at the check in desk, and pay the corkage. Granted my experience was from a whole 10 days ago, but I'm pretty confident that it's still the case.

While it seems reasonable that the allowance should increase for longer voyages, the fact is that HAL does not make a profit on the low cruise fares that we are seeing. They have to make it up the revenue elsewhere or go out of business.

igraf

I believe both NCL and Princess apply a corkage when you bring on more than one bottle. This rule that HAL has set may be fine on a 7 day Caribbean cruise - but we have a 30 day cruise booked in Europe in some areas where the wine is very good and definitely ones we cannot get here. I don't want to spend my time in port drinking - I want to go exploring - and have a bit of vino from the port when i get back on board;)

While it seems reasonable that the allowance should increase for longer voyages, the fact is that HAL does not make a profit on the low cruise fares that we are seeing. They have to make it up the revenue elsewhere or go out of business.

igraf

wow! that's an old quote from back when the rule was going to be only one bottle. As we know, the rules have changed however, I will say, that our price we paid on the P'dam was no small amount of $ so your justification based on low cost cruises don't work for me in this or any other Prinsendam cruise I have been on. Our Westerdam is sold out in a lot of categories, so obviously they are getting top $ on that one too for the upper categories. Yes, it's the good categories that are sold out :)