Disappointed related to Shore Excursions

luvmytigs

I am not sure who to blame (likely myself) but when our travel agent suggested Azamara, we jumped. Reviews are fabulous and the itinerary for the July 19 Amalifi Coast cruise is outstanding.

Considered in our booking was the promise of half price excursions. No one ever told us that the bookings had to occur by March 31st. Why was this not clear in the booking process?

As soon as we booked (January 13th, 2011), I opened a roll call and started researching ports. At that point, there was nothing on the Azamara website for excursions. Weeks later, I checked again and only a few excursions showed up.

Last week, I saw a cruise critic post about the deadline and immediately checked the website. Shore excursions were definitely not half price. I emailed Azamara through the website on the 6th and received no response. I emailed again on the 10th and received a response on the 13th:

Good morning Suzanna,

Please be advised the 50% discount off Land Discoveries expired March 31, 2011. This information was posted on the Azamara Website as well as in the Shore Excursion Brochure.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Thank You and Enjoy Your Cruise

Eszter Jeannot-Udvardi

Shore Excursions & Explorations! Department

***Fax: 305.982.2547****

***Email: Shorex@rccl.com****

My travel agent is now working on this because she had no idea there was an expiration on the excursions either --AAA Travel. Our final payment is just now due! We wanted to book 7 excursions for 5 people and will end up booking local guides if we cannot resolve this through the agent and Azamara. After reading the reviews on the boards, I know that we will love the cruise but I certainly have seen negative press on customer service and the website.

Hopefully we will get somewhere....:confused: We normally look at one cruise and one land tour a year so cost is always a consideration.

luvmytigs,

Sorry to hear about your missing the deadline--I found the information readily available on the AZ website and the expiration date was clear. Perhaps you can work something out with your TA.

Have a great cruise!

are you aware that azamara are giving 50% off shore excusrions if booked before mar 31st - makes it a no brainer!

This was on the roll call thread you started, posted on March 23 by saracenman.

You must have missed it, that's really unfortunate.

I took advantage of the half price tours for our July cruise on Quest. I have to say that I found the information on the expiry date was easily visible in the AZ website and there was also a prominent thread on CC about this.

I am sorry you didn't have the chance to take advantage of this offer, but on this occasion I don't think Azamara can be blamed.

Don't let this upset you though - although it is sad that you can't now take advantage of the half price tours offer - you will still have a wonderful and unforgettable cruise. :)

I am not sure who to blame (likely myself) but when our travel agent suggested Azamara, we jumped. Reviews are fabulous and the itinerary for the July 19 Amalifi Coast cruise is outstanding.

Considered in our booking was the promise of half price excursions. No one ever told us that the bookings had to occur by March 31st. Why was this not clear in the booking process?

As soon as we booked (January 13th, 2011), I opened a roll call and started researching ports. At that point, there was nothing on the Azamara website for excursions. Weeks later, I checked again and only a few excursions showed up.

Last week, I saw a cruise critic post about the deadline and immediately checked the website. Shore excursions were definitely not half price. I emailed Azamara through the website on the 6th and received no response. I emailed again on the 10th and received a response on the 13th:

Good morning Suzanna,

Please be advised the 50% discount off Land Discoveries expired March 31, 2011. This information was posted on the Azamara Website as well as in the Shore Excursion Brochure.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Thank You and Enjoy Your Cruise

Eszter Jeannot-Udvardi

Shore Excursions & Explorations! Department

***Fax: 305.982.2547****

***Email: Shorex@rccl.com****

My travel agent is now working on this because she had no idea there was an expiration on the excursions either --AAA Travel. Our final payment is just now due! We wanted to book 7 excursions for 5 people and will end up booking local guides if we cannot resolve this through the agent and Azamara.

Hopefully we will get somewhere....:confused: We normally look at one cruise and one land tour a year so cost is always a consideration.

luvmytigs,

I was waiting to see how long it would be before someone posted that they went to book their shore excursions only to find out the promo they were promised is suddenly not available.

The promo was changed on the website but apparently Azamara did not contact anyone, either those booked direct or through a TA, by phone or by email, to tell them they had to book the excursions by March 31 to get the 50% off on the shore excursions.

We only found out about the change because the promo was so confusing the way it was written on the web site (even before the text was changed), that there were threads on this message board asking for an explanation.

Yours will not be the first regarding this issue as we are sure there are other who booked last year, don't read the message boards, were waiting to a month or so before their cruise to book the excursions, and have no idea there is a problem.

Do you or your TA have a print out of the written promotion at the time you booked? If not, if you search this board you may find a cut and paste because people were confused of the details even before they changed the guidelines.

Hopefully your TA can work this out for you and they can manually take care of booking the excursions that you wish at the 50% off price.

In the meantime, the Azamara marketing department needs a lot of work.

I have to say that I found the information on the expiry date was easily visible in the AZ website and there was also a prominent thread on CC about this.

I am sorry you didn't have the chance to take advantage of this offer, but on this occasion I don't think Azamara can be blamed.

I guess I do not agree with you at all. You must have booked recently after the promotion guidelines were changed. What percentage of people booked this year read CC?

If someone booked prior, how do suppose they would find out if Azamara did not contact them or their travel agent?

I think there is an issue with Azamara here. Looking back to a thread I started in January, I wrote on 24th Jan

"Have finally got confirmation direct from Azamara that our excursions will remain at 50% discount so long as we pre-book online or by telephone up to 4 days before departure."
This was based on an email direct from Azamara, which I still have.

I only found out that this changed (or was I misinformed by Azamara?) by reading this forum & fortunately booked our excursions in time. How many people do that?

This sounds very similar to the rest of the misinformation being discussed on the thread about docking in Seville or Cadiz.

Hi Suzanna,

I think you have a good argument for obtaining the 50% excursion discount, unless it was clearly indicated at the time of booking that the March 31st deadline existed. For Azamara to email you now to say that the info was on their website and in their brochure is unacceptable if it wasn't there when you booked, unless they contacted your TA or you to notify you ... and even then, changing an offer after purchase hardly seems acceptable.

In this post from Dec. 23, Bill clearly outlines the conditions.

In a follow up post dated Feb. 13th, he adds the info on the March 31st deadline.

I hope that Azamara honours the booking as it was originally sold to you, and provides the 50% off excursions for you.

I think there is an issue with Azamara here. Looking back to a thread I started in January, I wrote on 24th Jan This was based on an email direct from Azamara, which I still have.
"Have finally got confirmation direct from Azamara that our excursions will remain at 50% discount so long as we pre-book online or by telephone up to 4 days before departure."

I only found out that this changed (or was I misinformed by Azamara?) by reading this forum & fortunately booked our excursions in time. How many people do that?

This sounds very similar to the rest of the misinformation being discussed on the thread about docking in Seville or Cadiz.

Agree. Even in Bill's first post that I referenced above, it shows, "TIME LIMIT- Online bookings of Land Discoveries can be made up until 4 days prior to sailing date. If you are within the 4 days, you will then need to purchase your shore excursions on board the ship at the full price." If the March 31st deadline existed then, then this line would only apply to the April 4th sailing which makes no sense at all.

Did discussion on CC in Dec/Jan trigger an alarm, resulting in Bill posting his update on Feb. 13th re the deadline, info on the website changed, but no notice given to those who had already booked under the original terms. :confused:

Hi Suzanna,

I think you have a good argument for obtaining the 50% excursion discount, unless it was clearly indicated at the time of booking that the March 31st deadline existed. For Azamara to email you now to say that the info was on their website and in their brochure is unacceptable if it wasn't there when you booked, unless they contacted your TA or you to notify you ... and even then, changing an offer after purchase hardly seems acceptable.

In a follow up post dated Feb. 13th, he adds the info on the March 31st deadline.

I hope that Azamara honours the booking as it was originally sold to you, and provides the 50% off excursions for you.

"Here is more detailed information about the 50% Land Discoveries Savings (LDS) which is available worldwide; however, there are specific terms and conditions which apply to this program:

• LDS is valid for full fare (including 2-for-1 fares) bookings for 2011 sailings as of April 4, 2011 (Azamara Journey) and May 6, 2011 (Azamara Quest) through all 2012 sailings.
  • (That means that the savings are not available for the Caribbean and Asia during the first quarter of 2011.)
  • LDS offers 50% savings on most Azamara Land Discoveries; but excludes overland tours, special ticketed events such as the Monaco Grand Prix, Rio Carnival, concerts and other ticketed performances.
  • LDS is only available for shore excursions booked prior to the sail date and is not available once onboard the ship.
  • LDS can be pre-booked online only. AzamaraClubCruises.com
  • Once guests have made at least one payment toward their voyage, Land Discoveries tours can be booked on AzamaraClubCruises.com beginning approximately four months prior to sailing. Booking number, ship name and sail date are required to book online.
    TIME LIMIT- Online bookings of Land Discoveries can be made up until 4 days prior to sailing date. If you are within the 4 days, you will then need to purchase your shore excursions on board the ship at the full price.[/font][/font]
  • LDS reservations accepted on a first come, first served basis, and are subject to availability.
  • LDS applies to Azamara Club Cruises Land Discoveries (shore excursions) program, and excludes private arrangements.
  • LDS is not available for chartered voyages.
  • Cancellation penalties apply to Land Discoveries reservations cancelled less than 24 hours prior to day of shore excursion"

"Hello Azamara Followers:

For the sake of good order, I want to let you know that the “Azamara Land Discovery 50% Savings Promotion” will expire on March 31, 2011 and will no longer be available for purchase. This information is shown on the Shore Excursion tab of our website - http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/sh...e.do?cS=NAVBAR

During the remaining time, however, guests are eligible to receive the 50% savings promotion on the available inventory of Land Discoveries in 2011 available from April 17 through December 27, 2011 on the Journey, and April 12 through December 23, 2011 on the Quest.

Important Requirement:

The tours must be pre-booked through our website (online) at least four days prior to sailing and must be paid in full by March 31, 2011.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)"

\

"During the remaining time, however, guests are eligible to receive the 50% savings promotion on the available inventory of Land Discoveries in 2011 available from April 17 through December 27, 2011 on the Journey, and April 12 through December 23, 2011 on the Quest."

quote]

If I recall, this language caused a different confusion that was questioned on these boards. Although the wording does state "available inventory", someone pointed out that there was no inventory at all for their December cruise.

However, it was also further pointed out that the promo was supposed to be for European sailings. Again, the copyrighting is confusing.

Hi Jade,

The reason for the confusion: the March 31st deadline was not intended for the original offer. Azamara must have realized that they were giving away too much, and ~2 months following the initial offer, imposed the March 31st deadline ... resulting in confusion, as well as unfairness for those who booked under the original terms.

Susan

and for some of us, the offer became a non offer because we are sailing later in the year and there were no excursions loaded for us to book in any event, nor will there be until about August at the earliest :(

and for some of us, the offer became a non offer because we are sailing later in the year and there were no excursions loaded for us to book in any event, nor will there be until about August at the earliest :(

The whole thing ... initial offer and subsequent curtailing of it was very poorly thought out and handled by Azamara.

The whole thing ... initial offer and subsequent curtailing of it was very poorly thought out and handled by Azamara.

I don't think it's fair to blame Azamara for your lack of initiative. I think any business has the right to add/impose a deadline on a sale offering. They also don't have a responsibility to advise each and every customer of the sale and the change to the deadline. There were several postings about the deadline many weeks before March 31. When you purchase anything from cruises to TV's, there is always going to be a sale on that product. The supplier of that product should not be expected to reimburse the difference to those that bought that product before the sale date. There should also not be an expectation for a supplier to offer the sale prices ad infinitum.

I don't think it's fair to blame Azamara for your lack of initiative.

They also don't have a responsibility to advise each and every customer of the sale and the change to the deadline. There were several postings about the deadline many weeks before March 31.

Susan-M "Lack of initiative" :confused:

"No responsibility to advise each and every customer of ...the change to the deadline" even though guests booked with the understanding that pre-booked shore excursions were 50% off and could be paid for up until sailing" (or deadline which is something like 4 days prior to embarkation) :confused:

"Several postings on Cruise Critic". This assumes all passengers read this message board :confused:

You are way off here.

I don't think it's fair to blame Azamara for your lack of initiative.

Agree with Jade ... way, way off :)

I'm not lacking initiative ... I am not even affected by this. But I did have the initiative to look back at what had transpired and know that Azamara is in the wrong by putting out an offer that they said was going to last through to the end of 2011, and then reneged on their offer. If you read through and understand what has happened, I think you'll realize that I am correct.

Just to add (and save you some reading) ... the first line of their initial offer explains it: "LDS is valid for full fare (including 2-for-1 fares) bookings for 2011 sailings as of April 4, 2011 (Azamara Journey) and May 6, 2011 (Azamara Quest) through all 2012 sailings."

Agree with Jade ... way, way off :)

I agree with you both - there is an Azamara issue here. We booked our cruise in Jan & were aware of the 50% discount but were not sure of the deadline so I contacted Azamara direct & received this response on 24th Jan from InfoUK@rccl.com

We can confirm that there is a 50% discount for the shore excursions on your cruise as long as you pre book them before travel. Please note this has to be done no later than 4 days before sailing. This discount applies if you book online or over the phone with us too,

There was NO mention of any deadline which was what I had enquired about.

The subsequent info here contradicted that so to be on the safe side, I booked a couple of excursions but there are still others that we are looking at so I have now gone back to Azamara (UK) again.

Thanks for the responses. Azamara absolutely has the right to put expiration dates on the promotions. This just should have been made evident during the booking process, and not just on the website. While I have no doubt that it IS was on the website, and I did see the posts about the expiration date (someone posted that on March 23rd), I didnt see it prior to March 31st. Yes I certainly exhibited a "lack of initiative" in checking everything :rolleyes: but having booked through an agent in January, there really wasnt anything on the website at that time. I dont access the boards daily and either the travel agent or Azamara should have made that clear. I was told that it had to be pre-booked before we sailed. :p

Anyone have a comment on why I emailed on April 6th and couldnt get a response until the 13th? The travel agent isnt doing much better.:(

Also, I had no idea that there was 100% accuracy on Cruise Critic. While I gain amazing information on this site, information about pricing and what is included is specific to someone's trip based on the country or travel agent from where they booked.

Regardless, we will have a great cruise.:) There are plenty of local options that dont require ship excursions. On our trip to the Baltic, we booked everything on our own. My 74 year old Dad just gets really nervous when we dont stay with the ship tours.

Doing your own tours and shore excursions will be better than anything AZ can offer, even it if would have been half price. You won't be on a big bus with 30 other people, you'll have your own private transportation at your schedule seeing what you want to see.

I read the original information about the 1/2 price tours being available until 4 days prior to sail date and did not follow up on the additional information, thinking that I already knew the "rules". I'm upset because I have at least 2 more tours that I hoped to line up. May now just pass on those tours altogether. Fortunately, I have the other 9 tours already paid at the 1/2 price rate. Will just have to look at our budget and decide what to do now.

Not too happy about this not being sent out to all booked passengers or their TAs. Not a good first impression for Azamara.

This action by Azamara shows a total disregard for their customer base. How can they in good conscious present one set of rules, entice people to buy their product based partially on those rules, and then change the rules - without notifying those who have bought the product. That's called bait and switch.

My problem in not so much that they changed the closing date, but they made no serious effort to notify those people who booked under the old rules. And no, posting on the web site or mention by posters on Cruise Critic is not good enough. Given the demographics of the Azamara customer base - a demographic that they make good money off of - they should know that many are not comfortable with the computer, or use it infrequently. I think it's horrendous customer service.

This is my third Azamara cruise and although I am thoroughly impressed with their operation while at sea, this kind of customer disrespect reminds me that they have a long way to go to become the class organization they strive to be.

I suspect that Azamara is at the back of the line when it comes to pre and post cruise customer service. The RCCL parent systems (computing, representatives, IT etc etc) have to serve all 3 RCCL brands and the impression I get is that Azamara suffers because it is small potatoes in comparison to Royal Caribbean and Celebrity.

Bill comes on periodically and beautifully spins things, but essentially the only fix out there is for Azamara to have dedicated resources. I don't know how many times in the past year I have seen problems flagged up here about the computer/IT systems that just aren't up to standard. Unfortunately, this is yet another example of the left hand not even being aware that there is a right hand out there.

Archived